Would you buy another?
rchrdleigh

RE: Would you buy another?

(06-03-2012 05:20am)Aussievoque Wrote:  +1

06-03-2012 09:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

(06-03-2012 03:54am)invoke Wrote:  I'll never ever ever never not at all in million years buy this line. It's more of a status symbol than quality symbol.

Poor workmanship, poor standards, poor R&D, poor material and most of all poor customer service.

Regret leaving BMW. The ultimate driving machine.

Don't think so. BMW just shelled out $3million for failing to report safety issues in 2010, now thats poor customer service. Also BMW have had problems with alloy wheels cracking, not too hot on the workmanship themselves.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
06-03-2012 10:31pm
Delta

I guess it depends where you're from, my relative loves BMW and has stuck with the brand thick and thin, but his X5 2009 was in the shop more times than on the road. When it worked he loved it but something always happened to it. He had less problems with his 328i though so it all depends. In terms of service we have a watch list as to which dealerships treat you well and which ones suck.

In terms of my dealer for JLR, they've treated me very well even when I email them about stuff over the weekend at like 10pm. When they don't know the answer they get back to me promptly.
06-03-2012 10:35pm
CSJ

Interesting to see positive comments re BMW. A friend of mine has had an X5 for which he shelled out £65k, 3 months ago.

So far it has spent more than 4 weeks in total back at the dealers. So far he has had 2 new front seats, a diesel filter, and has had his aircon sort of explode on him, resulting in a call out when 300 miles from home. They have also refused to exchange the vehicle. All this is after he had problems with his Audi A8, which is why he switched to BMW. He said he was not going to try a RR for the first time as he wanted a reliable car, he now thinks BMW is a joke!

I just dont buy the rhetoric about other brands being fantastic and I am a new customer to RR. All manufacturers get bad cars and bad dealers, to that extent it is always a bit of a lottery.

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
06-03-2012 10:46pm
Pommyboi

I don't think you can win which ever brand you choose. Service with Audi post sale was patchy and my A1 squeaks and rattles in places you wouldn't expect an Audi to. VW couldn't adjust a headlight correctly in 3 years despite me telling them to until the month before I sold the car. Maybe a good dealer does make all the difference. I can't comment on owning a BMW as our two attempts at buying a car with them failed due to the dealer service. I felt it was expected that we would put up with anything and still buy it because it's the ultimate driving machine, they didn't give a sh*t.Evil

Luckily buying a RRE was a much better experience, I liked the guy at Coventry LR even if I knew he was wrong about the spec of the RRE at times Laughing. I have low expectations now of dealer service and car quality and they are generally met.

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
06-03-2012 10:49pm
Delta

Someone from another Evoque forum had engine failure after 7 days with the RRE, but him dealing with his dealer made the difference. They are replacing his car regardless if they fix his current one or not. Thread : http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...close.html
07-03-2012 03:17pm
FFRR

Interesting points re: BMW. I can't speak of the Evoque directly yet but have an interesting BMW vs RR comparison.

My experiences have been quite positive, except:

335i Convertible - what a lemon - had 3 new sat nav systems and some of the components were so poor in their design. Was one of the first off the production line back in 2007 and would never buy a car close to launch again. Biggest issue is their braking system - it gets to a certain level and it squeaks like anything because the sensor rubs and squeals. Design flaw although not acknowledged and still in production AFAIK despite every BMW I have owned with these sensors doing the same thing.

Land Rover:

2011 FFRR Autobiography 4.4 TDV8. The most expensive car I have every purchased (over £90k). It is also the nicest car to drive by far - the refinement is incredible and the engine pulls like a train. It has changed my driving style as it is so relaxing - an arm chair literally. BMWs do not even get close in terms of quality of interior materials - the grade of leather is very high and literally every single interior surface (except the floor) is wrapped in leather (including the whole roof and pillar trims). Would this ever come standard on a BMW? Nope. Additionally, BMW's leather grades on high-end products has far too much grain. The merino leather (BMW's highest grade) in my last BMW wasn't great.

BUT:

It's been let down by stupid issues like trim that wasn't sealed properly at the factory, a tailgate that wasn't adjusted properly, and the stupid battery issues. This really detracts from the experience of owning a prestige vehicle. I have noticed on another forum that a member has had problems with the semi-analine premium leather wearing prematurely. I too have had some issues and recently had a new seat installed by Land Rover. This worries me a little considering the age of the car.

____

Summary: Go for BMW if you want boring, better than average build quality. If you want a luxury product that is capable of going off road, go for a Land Rover. LR products offer better value for money in my opinion compared with their German rivals.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 05:07pm by FFRR.)
07-03-2012 05:07pm
doug

(06-03-2012 10:46pm)CSJ Wrote:  Interesting to see positive comments re BMW. A friend of mine has had an X5 for which he shelled out £65k, 3 months ago.

So far it has spent more than 4 weeks in total back at the dealers. So far he has had 2 new front seats, a diesel filter, and has had his aircon sort of explode on him, resulting in a call out when 300 miles from home. They have also refused to exchange the vehicle. All this is after he had problems with his Audi A8, which is why he switched to BMW. He said he was not going to try a RR for the first time as he wanted a reliable car, he now thinks BMW is a joke!

I just dont buy the rhetoric about other brands being fantastic and I am a new customer to RR. All manufacturers get bad cars and bad dealers, to that extent it is always a bit of a lottery.

Is your friend called Mr Unlucky. You need to tip off your local LR dealer to shut up shop if we ever comes looking for a LR vehicle Wink

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
07-03-2012 11:13pm
Mikely

Probably not!
In 3 months, 4900kms ownership, had gearbox replaced in Jan and auxilliary fuel pump in Feb. Left me broken down at roadside twice (both fuel issue). Currently have vibration resonance when engine cold which improves slightly as it warms up together with twitter/squeak from front wheel/brake area on overrun. Gearbox displays same symptoms as original, although jerks and clunks not quite as violent without inducing restricted performance like the original. The Aisin box is, as far as I know, the first departure for LR from ZF and not the best result by all accounts, despite being a "reliable" Toyota group company.
Has to be said good service from Dealer and LR Assist!
This is my 7th LR since the first '98 P38A and all with their fair share of problems but non have let me down before.
Maybe an early build issue which leaves me kicking myself after trading from a well sorted MY10 RRS TDV8.

So, what are the alternatives, had a loan Disco 4 while Evoque being repaired and realised that I had forgotten quite what a pig they are in handling - probably one of the best aspects of the Evoque. Maybe a Q5 3.0 Tdi - at least it has the performance that the Evoque should have and with baseline pricing of the Evoque at equivalent of 50k pounds, similar pricing.

Although one of the original grumpy old men, last few months have been the crowning glory!

Cheers for now.

Mike
08-03-2012 11:14am
invoke

no matter what, beamer is still the best....

BMW X3 road test outscores EVOQUE

Mikely sorry to hear about dilemma.

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 04:03pm by invoke.)
08-03-2012 04:00pm