Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The negatives
mark_n

RE: The negatives

You'd think, wouldn't you, that Tom Tom would be interested in supplying the OEM market, with built-in sat-navs, 3G map and speed-camera updates and the rest. I think they are missing a trick, though I do think they have some sort of arrangement with Renault. I still use an ageing GO 710 in my Subaru and it's fine.

The great problem with built-in Sat-Nav - as my Mercedes SL55 AMG amply shows - is that they go out of date quickly with nowhere to go.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-09-2011 12:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THEMACS

(30-09-2011 12:34pm)alibeau Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 11:30am)THEMACS Wrote:  I think what has happened with this car is that we ALL have bought in to all the Hype and marketing Censored before anyone even got a proper look! Thats why none of us have questioned too much the £40k+ that must of us are paying for what is in essence a small/medium size car!

Thus far we will still be getting ours but I agree, it aint no £40k car, its £30k at a push!!
Strange thing is no one seems to have cancelled their orders and asked for their deposits back??? Me included!!

In an eralier post I did say that upon seeing it for the first time I was somewhat underwhelmed after all the Hype & Marketing Crap!! Whoever is in charge of that For LR wants a Fricking Gold Medal, cause they have convinced us ALL that we NEED One despite the excessive cost before even seeing it!!!

The 1 real thing it has going for it is its DIFFERENT and is pretty Luxorious, well in the right trim!!

Well up to now we will still go ahead, but I still think £40k is too much for this car!!

Just my Thoughts Guys!!

I am surprised that you would continue with purchasing an Evoque if you really feel it is overpriced by £10k. I spent over £50k on my current X5 and will be spending around £47k on the Evoque and although I do not have owership yet I feel it will be worth every penny. My X5 was frighteningly bad in the past few winters which is what prompted me to look to change it. The Evoque has it all IMHO, looks stunning with all the gizmos and gadgets you could possibly need and should cope with the winters well.....

Again, just my opinion Smile and I am sure there may well be a few things that may niggle me once it arrives...

Ali.

The X5 is a class or 2 above, and I mean Size etc, the Evoque. I am surprised you feel comfortable spending nearly the same amount on an X1/X3 class car???

Think about that!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
30-09-2011 01:16pm
griff

Tom Tom supply Renault so I think they must have some sort of lock in IMHO

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
30-09-2011 01:16pm
Token

[/quote]

The X5 is a class or 2 above, and I mean Size etc, the Evoque. I am surprised you feel comfortable spending nearly the same amount on an X1/X3 class car???

Think about that!
[/quote]

Interesting comment...what makes the X5 a class or 2 above? Is it just size???

Based on my Test drives...the X5 doesn't handle as well, is pretty weak off-road, doesn't look as good, and is dull inside.

So I'm struggling with the concept of it being a class or 2 above??

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
30-09-2011 01:19pm
vision*R

I still don't get why people keep thinking of car classes in terms of size. As if 10 inches of steel plate are making the difference.
Things that define a class for me are materials, finishes, capabilities... let's say intrinsic qualities that you can't just upgrade by ticking option boxes. In this respect the Evoque is well above an X1 or X3.
To get a full leather dashboard you even have to stretch to the X6 or tick an expensive box on the X5...

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 01:29pm by vision*R.)
30-09-2011 01:22pm
gead

Good call token...as mentioned on another thread, there is a preconception about size and quality that the evoque seems to challenge...

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
30-09-2011 01:24pm
alibeau

[/quote]

Think about that!
[/quote]

Well I guess the whole class/size thing is not an important part my decision making Wink Size doesn't matter to me Very Happy and it makes no difference to me what 'class' a car is in?!?! I was looking for something smaller than the X5 as my days of carting prams and baby gear are gone and didn't want a RRS as hubby suggested, so the Evoque ticks all the boxes for me.....

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
30-09-2011 01:27pm
THEMACS

Fair Comment.

And it isn't ME who created the whole car class rules etc!!

So by what some of you guys are saying, the X3 and X5 are the same, as are the Q5 and Q7!!! Me thinks Not!!!

What matters is that people are happy to spend that kind of Dough on a Focus sized car, which we all seem happy to do, maybe we are all Clinically Insane!!!Exclamation

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
30-09-2011 01:40pm
Token

(30-09-2011 01:40pm)THEMACS Wrote:  Fair Comment.

And it isn't ME who created the whole car class rules etc!!

So by what some of you guys are saying, the X3 and X5 are the same, as are the Q5 and Q7!!! Me thinks Not!!!

What matters is that people are happy to spend that kind of Dough on a Focus sized car, which we all seem happy to do, maybe we are all Clinically Insane!!!Exclamation

Good question re the X3 being the same as the X5...answer no...but it has nothing to do with Size! The X5 is better finished than the X3, is better offroad (altho still rubbish) than the X3, and offers a better ride than the X3...however, IMHO, the Evoque beats the X5 on all these.

Every so often, a car breaks all the class rules and makes comparisons very difficult. Do you moan about an M3 costing £60k because it is in the small coupe Market...or do you think it's great value because it's compatible with a Porsche 911...which is then in the same class as a DB9 (well not quite, but you know what I mean!)

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
30-09-2011 02:06pm
GibEvoque

Some of the notions on here about value are quite interesting however you need to consider that the price of all cars has risen.

Look at the costs of some cars for comparison:

VW Golf Gti, with a few options - Over £30k (nearly £40k for an R version)
A Mini once spec'd up exceeds £20k easily

In europe you can compare the evoque with the merc GLK, and in similar specs, the Merc always works out more expnsive, and also looks hiddeous (Those of you in the UK are lucky not to see this eyesore). I know as i considered this as it offered me what i needed in a car a reasonable level of luxury, with a nice mix of practicality. If i was to drop a 'Class' such as toyota RAV 4 nearly £28k with some toys and offered no where near the same looks, or feel, just very utilitarian like the freelander 2 which in top spec is close to £35k.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
30-09-2011 02:08pm