Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The negatives
DynamicRRV

RE: The negatives

I'm getting more and more put off as more posts arrive!!!

Fir all those feeling buyers remorse if you can find a problem or a misdescription in the advertising then you can reject the vehicle within a short time frame and get your dough back!
30-09-2011 10:29am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ant

(30-09-2011 10:24am)mark_n Wrote:  Hey, £4x,000 will only buy so much car. Maybe all the hype has convinced you the car should have the build quality of a Mercedes, the performance of a Porsche, the hush of a Rolls Royce, the totty-magnetism of a Ferrari and the sound quality of the Birmingham Symphony Hall. Back in the real world, the car is a compromise and someone somewhere has had to make some decisions which you don't like.

+1 Very Happy

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
30-09-2011 10:30am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, very well put! I'm not feeling one single bit of remorse, still very very pleased with mine, the few less than great bits have not detracted from the overall experience but could be considered as "improvements to do at the facelift"

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-09-2011 10:41am
mark_n

I agree, what LR should be doing of course is soliciting input from their early buyers to put on the to-do list, always within the bounds of technical feasibility and cost.

I used to do that before I retired with the software I produced. Ask the users, they can be great refiners even if some are off the wall. I remember the last time we did it, the user base of around 200+ users came up with 107 separate suggestions, more than 90 of which were from one user only and many of which called their sanity into question. There was a handful of sensible suggestions from lots of users and we implemented those and the punters were more than happy.

I expect a face-lifted Evoque in 2 - 3 years time will have refined some of the rough spots. For now, those are the price of being an early adopter. You can sit on the fence forever waiting for the perfect car or else you can get stuck in and enjoy what we have.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-09-2011 11:01am
DynamicRRV

YES!!

TRUE!
30-09-2011 11:03am
THEMACS

I think what has happened with this car is that we ALL have bought in to all the Hype and marketing Censored before anyone even got a proper look! Thats why none of us have questioned too much the £40k+ that must of us are paying for what is in essence a small/medium size car!

Thus far we will still be getting ours but I agree, it aint no £40k car, its £30k at a push!!

Strange thing is no one seems to have cancelled their orders and asked for their deposits back??? Me included!!

In an eralier post I did say that upon seeing it for the first time I was somewhat underwhelmed after all the Hype & Marketing Crap!! Whoever is in charge of that For LR wants a Fricking Gold Medal, cause they have convinced us ALL that we NEED One despite the excessive cost before even seeing it!!!

The 1 real thing it has going for it is its DIFFERENT and is pretty Luxorious, well in the right trim!!

Well up to now we will still go ahead, but I still think £40k is too much for this car!!

Just my Thoughts Guys!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
30-09-2011 11:30am
J77

As said in previous posts the hype for this car has been so massive that there was no way the car can possibly live up to it. As with any other new product there will be likes and dislikes and the fact is you don't know what it will be like to live with from a short dealer test drive. We are the guinea pigs and I am sure land rover will improve the car as the model years progress.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
30-09-2011 11:44am
Tekno
Banned

Another one for me is the heated windscreen. Didn't realise it came with it and am finding it very annoying during night driving. Oncoming headlights bloom because of all the tiny elements in the screen which is very distracting.

Re the climate control; my passenger is eight inches away - I'm sure heat can pass that distance to my side of the car! Considering I do a lot of driving alone, I'd like to be able to have them linked (or just disable the passenger's control).

I'm not having buyers remorse - there's no other car like the Evoque, so in some ways it's still worth £40k+, but if I knew a year ago what I knew now I wouldn't have just stuck the deposit down and bought the car blindly - I'd have test driven the BMW, Audi, Merc etc. etc. and made a much more informed choice.
30-09-2011 12:02pm
alibeau

(30-09-2011 11:30am)THEMACS Wrote:  I think what has happened with this car is that we ALL have bought in to all the Hype and marketing Censored before anyone even got a proper look! Thats why none of us have questioned too much the £40k+ that must of us are paying for what is in essence a small/medium size car!

Thus far we will still be getting ours but I agree, it aint no £40k car, its £30k at a push!!
Strange thing is no one seems to have cancelled their orders and asked for their deposits back??? Me included!!

In an eralier post I did say that upon seeing it for the first time I was somewhat underwhelmed after all the Hype & Marketing Crap!! Whoever is in charge of that For LR wants a Fricking Gold Medal, cause they have convinced us ALL that we NEED One despite the excessive cost before even seeing it!!!

The 1 real thing it has going for it is its DIFFERENT and is pretty Luxorious, well in the right trim!!

Well up to now we will still go ahead, but I still think £40k is too much for this car!!

Just my Thoughts Guys!!

I am surprised that you would continue with purchasing an Evoque if you really feel it is overpriced by £10k. I spent over £50k on my current X5 and will be spending around £47k on the Evoque and although I do not have owership yet I feel it will be worth every penny. My X5 was frighteningly bad in the past few winters which is what prompted me to look to change it. The Evoque has it all IMHO, looks stunning with all the gizmos and gadgets you could possibly need and should cope with the winters well.....

Again, just my opinion Smile and I am sure there may well be a few things that may niggle me once it arrives...

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 12:36pm by alibeau.)
30-09-2011 12:34pm
Token

I haven't got mine yet but I did spend an hour driving one...so whilst nowhere near as informed as some of you guys, I do have a view...and I have owned a lot of cars over the last few years and have test driven loads more.

I personally believe that it offers good value for money.

People saying that it is a £30k car might be right...bearing in mind the base model is £30k! So...those that have bought the base car and avoided extra's are getting a great value car (bear in mind that despite the lure of extra options, the base spec is actually a really really good car!). However, those ordering the Pure are getting grumpy because they are saying it doesn't have a luxury feel...errrr...well no, it wouldn't...it's not a luxury car and you've not paid luxury money!

People like me that have spent c.£48k are getting grumpy because it doesn't feel like it offers the same luxury etc as some other £50k cars...well that's because it is still basically a £30k car but with a load of extras...the fundamentals of the car are not any different!

When buying cars, I have generally found that a base spec car should live up to the base spec price...after that it will rarely offer good value for money because optional extras are rarely good value. So I am happy to accept that my car is not great value, but I'm also accepting of the fact that no £30k car specced up to £50k is!

I wonder how many people on this forum are forgetting that you are paying for some things that you might be forgetting to put a value on...

1. It is a Range Rover...you are paying some money for the badge whether you like it or not! A premium brand should provide additional quality, but you are always paying extra for the badge (Seat v VW etc).

2. You are paying for the off-road capability...whether you are going to use it or not! That will affect your view of the perceived value...but please don't forget that this is a genuine 4 x 4 vehicle and you've paid for it.

3. It looks sensational (some of you may be disappointed by the looks but the very vast majority of people think it looks sensational)...you are paying a lot of money for the looks!

So...if you are not in any way brand conscious, you are never going to require any off-road capability, and you only care about the inside rather than the way it looks on the outside...then you are going to be disappointed with the car and the value available!

If you are like me who cares about all three of these factors (as well as all the extra gadgets, decent ride etc)...then I genuinly don't believe there is a better car out there for £50k...and if that is indeed the case, then it must by definition be good value!

P.S. On route to buying this car, I test drove an M3, a E-Class convertible, an S5, an X6, a Range Rover Sport, and a 7 Series...none of these cars could touch the Evoque for value in my very humble opinion.

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
30-09-2011 12:56pm