Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
auto-dimming mirror
John

auto-dimming mirror

I ordered my car with the auto-dimming rear-view mirror.

for an obscure reason, my dealer forget this option.
So I would like to know if it's technically possible to mount the auto dimming mirror after the delivery of the car.
Are all the electric connections allready build in, or it's necessary to put new cables ?

thank you for your help
19-09-2012 04:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EpicEvo

auto-dimming mirror

Just get window tints Smile much easyer. Cheaper. And looks better
19-09-2012 04:59pm
John

RE: auto-dimming mirror

Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but a good idea.

eD4 Prestige - Fuji White - Ambiance
20-09-2012 03:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think, note think! , that it requires a power supply and often in Land Rovers that requires a major removal of head linings and things like that. A dealer with a competent service and repair shop should be able to retrofit one though I would ave thought

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-09-2012 04:06pm
cjfp

I've yet to prove to myself that I have it (it was ordered) and that it works! I assume that as I am not being blinded that it is, but I just haven't seen it dim.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 04:09pm by cjfp.)
20-09-2012 04:08pm
XFullFatTim

To check if you have the ADRVM then look at the face of the mirror and there should be an oval "spot" on it which is the sensor and of course it has no lever to activate the dip manually! I have found that with the OEM privacy glass the thing rarely does anything but I recall that you car has no privacy CJ, it would be really really useful if it could also dip the side mirrors as well as they are more of a pain than the rear view when you have some tw*t with illegal superwhite lamps or xenons that are not properly aligned driving behind you

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 04:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
20-09-2012 04:42pm
DaveR

I have the auto dim rvm and have to say i never notice it... but I am also never dazzeled from it either so assume it's working perfectly! (i'm another without privacy glass).

It probably only needs power and might be fed by the same power as the interior lights, I just had a look at the fuse list in the handbook to see which fuse feeds it in case that gave us any clues but can't see it listed.

I looked at that russian parts list and it shows the options for the roof loom as:

LR028138 WIRE, RHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028139 WIRE, LHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028140 WIRE, RHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028141 WIRE, LHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028142 WIRE, RHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028143 WIRE, LHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028145 WIRE, RHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028146 WIRE, LHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS

so you might be lucky and the wiring be there for the mirror.

[Image: roofloom_zpsad983257.jpg]
21-09-2012 10:10am
John

Thank you Dave.
If it only need power and the cables are already there, then it should be easy to change the mirror.

(21-09-2012 10:10am)DaveR Wrote:  I have the auto dim rvm and have to say i never notice it... but I am also never dazzeled from it either so assume it's working perfectly! (i'm another without privacy glass).

It probably only needs power and might be fed by the same power as the interior lights, I just had a look at the fuse list in the handbook to see which fuse feeds it in case that gave us any clues but can't see it listed.

I looked at that russian parts list and it shows the options for the roof loom as:

LR028138 WIRE, RHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028139 WIRE, LHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028140 WIRE, RHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028141 WIRE, LHD, LESS SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028142 WIRE, RHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028143 WIRE, LHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, LESS TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028145 WIRE, RHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS
LR028146 WIRE, LHD, WITH SUN BLINDS, WITH TYRE PRESSURE SENSORS

so you might be lucky and the wiring be there for the mirror.

[Image: roofloom_zpsad983257.jpg]

eD4 Prestige - Fuji White - Ambiance
22-09-2012 04:05pm
RREvvok

Hi John,

I had the same problem. The dealer forgot to put the auto dimming function in my interior mirrors. They retro fitted it a few months after delivery. I tested it out the other day and I must say that the feature is barely noticeable. Compared to my Beemer and Merc, the auto dimming function is almost useless. I tried it with a very bright flash light as I was not convinced that the dealer actually "turned" it on but it does work. I does work, but it is more an anti glare (albeit a very weak one too) than an auto dimmer. RR were nice enough and didn't charge me for their mistake. I hope that answers your question.

M Very Happy
29-09-2012 11:29am
XFullFatTim

The auto dip doesn't "dip" the mirror, it tints it instead, you will not notice any movement of mirrors as it is photo -chromatic and works extremely well as you just don't notice bright lights behind you until you look in the wing mirrors (and then you get dazzled)

29-09-2012 02:04pm