Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mis-fuelled my Diesel
Skymonster

RE: Mis-fuelled my Diesel

I feel your pain, having done it once in the past with a much cheaper car and realising before too much damage was done. It would appear that there are, unfortunately, enough words in the manual to absolve LR of any responsibility - don't use the wrong fuel, don't drive if you do, the misfuelling device helps protect against misfuelling but doesn't guaranteeagainst it, LR takes no responsiblity for misfuelling, etc...

----
Pure 2.2SD4, auto, tech, pano, etc... Fuji... And very happy with my choice so far...
08-04-2012 04:38pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

Oh, a very expensive mistake! Having changed from a petrol car to diesel myself I wondered if it might be something that I would do, but fortunately I haven't so far. I hope you get it sorted without costing you a fortune.

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
08-04-2012 06:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There are 2 things to do to avoid mis-fuelling - ALWAYS take a 2nd look at the filler cap of your car (Yellow with DIESEL printed on it) and Always check that you have unhooked the right hose on the forecourt - there seems to be no standard in the UK for colouring the hoses so at one place a black hose can be diesel and at another it can be petrol, and check that it is coming from the diesel side of the pump!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-04-2012 07:20pm
gups4u

This is the story so far, land rover has declined to help even though when i brought the car i was specifically told the it would be 'impossible to fill up with the wrong fuel due to the new misfueling device fitted as standard'.

The quote is as follows:
We have carried out a test on to miss fuel circuit & found that the system is working, this information has been sent to Land Rover

Land Rover have advised us to carry out repairs as follows

1/ Replace High Pressure Fuel Pump

2/ Replace Low Pressure Fuel Pump

3/ Replace Fuel Filter

4/ Remove Fuel Tank to drain & Flush

5/ Clean & Flush all fuel lines

The estimate to carry out the above repairs is $ 4399.00 inc parts & labour

Then if the vehicle starts take it for a 25km road test & then recheck all systems using SDD

If the motor vehicle fails to start or has a miss on start up we would then have to carry out further test i.e. compression test on the engine & then depending on the results of these test to what we would have to requote ( motor )

Not sure if i'm getting ripped off?
27-04-2012 05:40am
Sarcastrix

I'd carry out steps 3, 4 and 5. Once they are done check to see if it runs okay, not much point in doing the pumps if they don't need replacing. As LR have declined to help I would take the car to an independent garage for the work, you'll save a packet.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 06:48am by Sarcastrix.)
27-04-2012 06:48am
cutter7

(27-04-2012 06:48am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  I'd carry out steps 3, 4 and 5. Once they are done check to see if it runs okay, not much point in doing the pumps if they don't need replacing. As LR have declined to help I would take the car to an independent garage for the work, you'll save a packet.

We have local guys around here called 'The Fuel Doctors' who come to you if this sort of thing happens.

Maybe worth calling them for a second opinion..Very Happy
http://www.fueldoctorltd.co.uk/

Sorry just realised where you are..Embarrassed

Hope it works out ok for you..

(This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 08:16am by cutter7.)
27-04-2012 08:11am
David Cameron

If its any consolation, I know a certain Chief Inspector at Fort William that did it twice in a week to the same Police car! He tried to keep it quiet the second time, which was his fatal mistake.
27-04-2012 08:58am
J77

In the manual it says that the diesel miss fuel protection device is only fitted to cars for certain markets, so it may possible that your car hasn't got one.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
27-04-2012 09:58am
ED209

(27-04-2012 08:58am)David Cameron Wrote:  If its any consolation, I know a certain Chief Inspector at Fort William that did it twice in a week to the same Police car! He tried to keep it quiet the second time, which was his fatal mistake.

Did he get disciplined?? at our place they were threatening PC's who accidentally mis fuelld with formal discipline procedures.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
27-04-2012 08:16pm
Jules2012

I just came across this as I thought I may have been the first person to do this to an Evoque as I did this exact thing today. I am so cross with myself. My car is only 2 months old and the repair bill is going to be around 4.5k. Luckily my insurance covers most of it but I have to pay 1k, the most expensive mistake I have made. It is unbelievable how common it is.
16-05-2012 09:01pm