Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Paint treatment- is it worth it?
GinaS

RE: Paint treatment- is it worth it?

How much do you charge?
No seriously, I've got ages to make my mind up. April seems like a very long time away for me-by the time my car comes the majority of forum users will have done about 3 bimonthly car waxes.
Don't forget to keep us updated once you've got your cars!
10-09-2011 10:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nickm

(10-09-2011 10:38pm)Zermatt Vulgaris Wrote:  you should be able get a decent local car detailer who will do a post purchase protection that will be a million times better than any dealer applied supaguard or similar .

Very good point

Pre delivery, don't let the dealers prep the car. Increasingly people are sending their own retailers in. I have seen many new cars go out with swirls on them. RRE is a exclusive product, give it the treatment it deserves.
(10-09-2011 10:47pm)GinaS Wrote:  How much do you charge?
No seriously, I've got ages to make my mind up. April seems like a very long time away for me-by the time my car comes the majority of forum users will have done about 3 bimonthly car waxes.
Don't forget to keep us updated once you've got your cars!

Why April? You can get dealer cars earlier than that. Many are getting cancelled orders too, and you can just jump in....
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2011 10:50pm by Nickm.)
10-09-2011 10:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Off Topic...............

Hi Nick, good to see you signed up here, welcome aboard. As you might have seen in another thread I had a great drive north today.ot

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2011 11:13pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-09-2011 11:12pm
GinaS

(10-09-2011 11:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Off Topic...............

Hi Nick, good to see you signed up here, welcome aboard. As you might have seen in another thread I had a great drive north today.ot

Hi,
Can I ask did you have your car paint treated?
Why April? You can get dealer cars earlier than that. Many are getting cancelled orders too, and you can just jump in....
[/quote]

I only ordered 3 weeks ago-high spec prestige auto -they say they only have one other customer with similar spec so not much chance of a cancellation there.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2011 11:32pm by GinaS.)
10-09-2011 11:29pm
Spiderman

Paint Treatment is worth it IMHO. I also have a few modern supercars and all of them have Supagard. If applied properly them this acts as a Paint sealant and makes washing and removing bugs/tar a piece of cake. For my money its a must have and you also get a 6 year guarantee too. But a Dealer charging £400 or £500 is too steep. I'd give Supagard a call directly on 0141 633 5933 and see who their local valet firm are to you and book direct with them for circa £250.

Good luck!

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
11-09-2011 03:53am
GinaS

Good advice and thanks for providing their number.
11-09-2011 07:45am
Nickm

(11-09-2011 07:45am)GinaS Wrote:  Good advice and thanks for providing their number.

Gina, you have lots of time to think about it, but think you'll find more people will tell you not to do it.....but am sure you'll get to the right decision in your time...and start counting down the days till your new baby arrives!!
11-09-2011 08:25am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My white beauty has been treated with Gard-X. The last time I had a car treated with paint protection was way back in the 1980's and it worked back then. I have had it done to my car because I cannot abide washing cars and spending hours polishing them. I have a rookery at the end of my garden and my drive is under the flight path and the "deposits" are many during the nesting season. My attitude to paint protection systems is one of a sceptic ................... however in my case ANY coating between bird droppings and the car's paint is worth it. My car is white and more likely to show discolouring as a result of bird muck than the dark colours my cars over the last 15 years have been painted. Must comment also that apart from a few squashed flies on the front, there are no signs of road dirt stuck to my babyRR this morning - after a 350 miles drive to Scotland from London yesterday in some very heavy showers and lots of spray.

What I will say is, while it is convenient to have these coatings applied at the dealership before taking delivery it isn't necessary. I also found that at home I asked the local car valeting company who are agents for the system I have how much they would charge to apply it and they were considerably less expensive than either the local BMW, Audi or Peugeot dealers who I also approached. The local Audi dealer wanted in excess of £750 to do an A6 Allroad................... so do shop around and get several quotes.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2011 08:31am by XFullFatTim.)
11-09-2011 08:29am
Nickm

You'd be surprised Tim at how good White is at masking lots of swirls, deposits etc....only real issue with White are tar spots.....
11-09-2011 08:33am
Alex

With paint treatment I assume when washing there is to need to wax it, or can you still wax it periodically, or would you use perhaps the paint treatments branded wash and wax then using a chamois to dry.

I have never paid for a treatment before and when googling and reading various forums there seems to be very mixed opinions about various branded products and DIY applications to save money and ensure quality.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
11-09-2011 08:47am