Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Paint treatment- is it worth it?
Ewok

Paint treatment- is it worth it?

When i went in to get a quote for my car, the dealer added a few extra dealer-related things to my order which brought the cost up by quite a bit. One of these options was some sort of paint protection treatment on the car. Cost was about £500. Now i'm keen to preserve the paint in as shiny form as possible and wont be washing it every weekend.

Anyone got a view on whether or not these treatments are worthwhile?
05-06-2011 11:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Paint treatment- is it worth it?

Ewok - some comments here http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Paint-Protection-Systems

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
05-06-2011 12:11pm
Ewok

brilliant - thanks !
completely missed this thread.

based on this i'll probably not go for it.

out of interest- does anyone know how much it costs to get a car like this resprayed in a different LR colour? I think im going to regret not buying firenze red when i buy my sensible sumatra black.....
05-06-2011 01:03pm
Blackseries

(05-06-2011 01:03pm)Ewok Wrote:  brilliant - thanks !

out of interest- does anyone know how much it costs to get a car like this resprayed in a different LR colour? I think im going to regret not buying firenze red when i buy my sensible sumatra black.....

Maybe go for a wrap. A re-spray will be expensive - and with a base Black car will probably be quite difficult. I can't understand why the dealer won’t let you respec your car. OK maybe you'll drop a few weeks but surely a bit of flexibility is due to customers. I mean, nobody’s actually driven the thing yet – and there’s enough pent up demand that would mean if your car can’t be change someone else will buy it - surely.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
05-06-2011 02:21pm
Ewok

(05-06-2011 02:21pm)Blackseries Wrote:  
(05-06-2011 01:03pm)Ewok Wrote:  brilliant - thanks !

Maybe go for a wrap. A re-spray will be expensive - and with a base Black car will probably be quite difficult. I can't understand why the dealer won’t let you respec your car. OK maybe you'll drop a few weeks but surely a bit of flexibility is due to customers. I mean, nobody’s actually driven the thing yet – and there’s enough pent up demand that would mean if your car can’t be change someone else will buy it - surely.

i've always worried wraps'll bring the paint off. i keep seeing all these pictures of the firenze and it makes me want red rather than my current black choice, although think i may regret it further down line in a yr or two - i'm not a massive fan of red RRS's.

Are we talking more than £3k for a respray?
05-06-2011 09:06pm
vinda

My dealers trying to flog me supaguard. Says it's 500. But he will do for 350. I'm not gonna go for it
05-06-2011 10:58pm
Kermit

(05-06-2011 09:06pm)Ewok Wrote:  Are we talking more than £3k for a respray?

I'm sure you could get a couple of boys in da hood do it for a few quid. Seriously, the cost of spraying any car properly would be double that.
(05-06-2011 10:58pm)vinda Wrote:  My dealers trying to flog me supaguard. Says it's 500. But he will do for 350. I'm not gonna go for it

It's these sort of 'dealer extras' that make them heaps of profit.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 11:34am by Kermit.)
06-06-2011 11:33am
Blackseries

(05-06-2011 10:58pm)vinda Wrote:  My dealers trying to flog me supaguard. Says it's 500. But he will do for 350. I'm not gonna go for it

My logic is if it’s so good - why is it not applied professionally at the factory and therefore a factory option. I don't know of any manufacturer that applies it at source. I could be wrong though.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
06-06-2011 12:17pm
vinda

yeah, they usually get the valet guy to slap it on
07-06-2011 01:01pm
Alex

I imagine it's not that bad of a product, but not the miracle product our dealers lead us to believe. As already mentioned it's also there as a commission earner.

I think if your going to invest in exterior/interior then it would be better value for money if you purchased it and applied it yourself. Proper paint protection is a little more complicated that simply applying wax - but not too complicated that an average person cannot do at home. A combination of the right products, and technique is what makes it a good paint protection application a "superior" one - and it's in the application process that I think will be lost when purchased via dealers, as it will probably be applied by unskilled third party sources (probably making even more of a profit on your sale).

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
08-06-2011 03:09pm