Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DISASTER :-(
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: DISASTER :-(

Ali I think you are right to insist that a Land Rover dealer repairs the roof - the roof is a major structural strength element in most modern cars ( witness how the crack has grown without driving) your dealer has access to the factory and technical assistance from Land Rover that Admiral's preferred repairer may not. Also it is about time that insurers remembered that major repairs like these carried out by repairers not approved by the car maker can lead to the loss of your warranty on the car.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-09-2012 08:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alibeau

Morning guys....

Well I have been chasing Admiral every day to find out what's happening but apparently due to the bank holiday their engineers (who assess the quotes) are running a day behind due to the bank holiday Rolling Eyes

I am due to hear from them today as to whether my quote has been accepted or not. Given the figures that Mark_n has previously mentioned and also looking at the figures the repairer has given, it seems like a fair quote to me but we'll see......

Also worth mentioning (though not wanting to teach anyone how to suck eggs....) those who would intend to claim under the glass section should they ever have my problem, given the figures involved, have you checked that there is not a limit as to what the insurer will pay out for any one glass claim?......

Also, as dramatic as it may seem, I am seriously considering ordering a new Si4 without a pano roof (and a couple of other changes to my current spec) and trading mine in if I don't stand to lose too much money.... will talk to my dealer when I eventually get my car back....

Will keep you posted.

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 08:57am by alibeau.)
07-09-2012 08:55am
WB
WB

Isn't there always the option to use your own choice of repairer when claiming? I had a windscreen replaced on a mercedes under the glass policy and because it was a complicated bonding job I wanted Mercedes rather than Autoglass to do it and it wasn't a problem at all.

I'm sure the insurers get a different labour rate and discount on the parts from main dealers so while they may still be more expensive than their "preferred" repairers its better than the price we'd pay.
07-09-2012 09:08am
Token

(07-09-2012 08:55am)alibeau Wrote:  Also, as dramatic as it may seem, I am seriously considering ordering a new Si4 without a pano roof (and a couple of other changes to my current spec) and trading mine in if I don't stand to lose too much money.... will talk to my dealer when I eventually get my car back....

Ali.

In some ways this is not so dramatic Ali and quite understandable...however, if you do the maths of how much you will lose on the current car and how much you will lose on a new car, you will probably find that you'd have to have a few broken roofs to make it work financially.

That said, it is a black mark against the car sadly...not a big one perhaps, but maybe enough of one to make people reconsider their choice.

I never really gave any thought to it, but having a piece of glass which is effectively laid flat is always going to be a problem the second it is compromised in any way. When transporting glass, you will notice that vans always have them on the side (on a glass rack frial), this is because if glass is laid flat, then the slightest bump can cause a problem.

Still, you have been really unlucky and I feel for you.

P.S. Your old man seems like my kind of guy!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
07-09-2012 09:19am
screamingdead

(07-09-2012 09:19am)Token Wrote:  That said, it is a black mark against the car sadly...not a big one perhaps, but maybe enough of one to make people reconsider their choice.

The first Evoque I test drove had a cracked Pano roof & it always put me off my first choice of a Dynamic LUX.

I've just ordered a Pure SD4 Automatic definitely without a Pano roof.

Regards

SD
07-09-2012 06:46pm
SiT

This has got me worried as an owner of a car with the pano roof. But is this a problem with the roof or just small numbers reported on an internet forum..?

Whilst i appreciate that it's the people that make a forum it's not always a true representation of actual numbers of owners that have either had or have not had issues with the roof. Accidents do and will happen, i had to pay £215 for a new tyre yesterday after a puncture that was un-repairable, isn't this part of life's motoring joys..?

I honestly hope you get your claim sorted with minimal hassle.
07-09-2012 10:33pm
alibeau

Evening folks.... Another update for you!

Admiral have come good in the end but only after a very frustrating week of being told different timescales for their procedures, phone calls not returned and having to request call backs from Managers etc..... It takes a lot to rattle my cage but this week has been rather testing!

I got the 'ok' to go ahead with the repair at 5pm tonight which is brilliant news, it's just such a shame I had to go through the headaches and worrying of this week......

So the LR repairer who already has my car is going to order the parts on Monday and is hoping to have the job done by mid week, I feel this may be a tad optimistic but we'll see. They are hopefully organising a courtesy car for me for Monday so we will pop to the dealership on Monday to collect it. Whilst there I will have a chat with our salesman regarding my thoughts on ordering a new Si4 minus the pano roof.......

Hubby says I should be happy that within five days I have the result I wanted being my car at the repairer of my choice with the job approved and all being well, my car back by next week..... I guess I'll only be happy when I have my Evoque back safe and sound Wink

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
07-09-2012 11:01pm
Daigriff

Hi Ali

Just got back off my hols and am trawling through the forum...sorry to hear of the problem with the pano roof but glad it seems to be getting sorted.

I love my pano but will be checking my policy with Aviva now. However whatever the outcome from Aviva I would still keep the pano roof should my new car be another Evoque ...I always have the blind open.

Keep your chin up worse things happenSmile

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
07-09-2012 11:40pm
doug

(07-09-2012 11:40pm)Daigriff Wrote:  I love my pano but will be checking my policy with Aviva now. However whatever the outcome from Aviva I would still keep the pano roof should my new car be another Evoque ...I always have the blind open.

Can you let us know Your findings please. I'm with Aviva & all I could come up with was the wording that all glass is covered. But this could be limited to a few pounds.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
08-09-2012 06:13am
DaveR

I wonder if any of these clear paint protection films would offer any benefit if applied to the pan roof?
08-09-2012 07:01am