Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DISASTER :-(
alibeau

RE: DISASTER :-(

(12-09-2012 11:10am)mark_n Wrote:  Ali

I think the roof lining will have had to come out to replace the glass, so I'd recommend taking a good look at it make sure it is properly fitted without signs of cosmetic damage. You may also want to play a hose over the new roof to check for leaks.

Just to be clear, Admiral are treating this as an accidental damage claim, not a glass claim, is that correct?

Many thanks for the advice Mark, yes the quote detailed the job and the removal of all sorts of interior roof mouldings and trim removal on all the pillars.... Will also take your advice on testing for leaks.

And yes to be clear, this is an accidental damage claim on my main policy and NOT a glass claim....

Really appreciate the advice.

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
12-09-2012 11:15am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

Ali

That's interesting. I would pose these questions:

- Did all the trim come out without breaking any fixing studs?
- Did you replace any studs which were broken?

The Evoque uses press fixing studs widely for ease of assembly, the assumption being that most parts will never need to come out. The parts are installed with the heel of a hand or a soft-faced mallet and are engineered to hold the part tightly once installed. The advantages are largely tool-less assembly and hidden fixings.

Perhaps the most familiar example is the door panel (door card) which lines the interior of the door. Those of us who have ever removed these to, for example, get at a window winder will know the studs can break if the panels are yanked out. Instead the fixings need to be released by sustained application of the force possible and eased out. Regular readers will know I sleep with a set of plastic pry tools under my pillow (not really)...

I recently replaced the wheel arch surround on my car which has perhaps 6 or 8 fixing points around it (mine is a coupe) and I think only one of the studs came out without breaking and that was with me being very gentle to get the part out. The replacement part came with a full set of studs so it was not a problem but of course, the parts being replaced on your car will be the originals.

It's a good idea to check that the trim pieces are being tightly held along their length. Any excessive movement when you press on it (compared to, say, the other side) suggests the trim has been replaced with one or more broken studs not replaced and therefore not attached to the underlying bodywork. Also, keep your ear out for creaks and rattles which would also suggest poorly fitting trim.

Sorry to be a prophet of doom, but I 've been there...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-09-2012 06:22pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As the job is now being done by a main dealer I'm sure they have the clips available or can get them over night like my local dealership can

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-09-2012 07:02pm
alibeau

Hi again Mark,

Well funnily enough the repairer called this afternoon to say that the car would not be ready today as they had to order a set of 'clips' that they had not anticipated. These should arrive in the morning and the car should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

It seemed odd to me that they suddenly realised they were missing a set of 'clips' so I wonder if they they could be the fixing studs? I will give the car a really good check over on collection and to be honest I'm not sure I would have inspected the interior as thoroughly as I will now given your advice...

If the repairer is struggling tomorrow I'll pass on your details and perhaps you would be kind enough to lend him your plastic pry tools Laughing

I am dreading there being any creaks or rattles, fingers crossed for a good result tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Ali.

(12-09-2012 07:02pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  As the job is now being done by a main dealer I'm sure they have the clips available or can get them over night like my local dealership can

Yep, ordered today, with them tomorrow Thumbs Up

Ali.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 07:08pm by alibeau.)
12-09-2012 07:07pm
mark_n

Yes, they will probably use the term "clips" as a generic term. They are normally plastic compressible studs which attach to the rear of the trim and press into a round hole in the bodywork. They expand behind the hole after fitting and hold the trim in place.

It's a good sign they have come clean - sounds like some broke (easy to do) and they are replacing with new.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-09-2012 08:11pm
Evo-king

Or perhaps they were reading this forum for guidance.

On a more serious note, hope they do do a good repair for you Ali.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 09:49pm by Evo-king.)
12-09-2012 09:48pm
alibeau

I am VERY PLEASED to report that I have my Evoque back and all seems well, no rattles or creaks, no dodgy refitted interior Thumbs Up

I am yet to do a 'hose' test but will do over the weekend.

I can't tell you how happy I am, in fact I don't think any other car has ever made me as happy as my Evoque does. I have missed it so much as we were away for four weeks in August and then I only had one opportunity to drive it before disaster stuck and it was out of action for another twelve days.....

We popped to the dealership whilst collecting the car from the LR recommended repairer, they had a Firenze Pure (I think) and a Fuji Dynamic Plus in the showroom so I tried the 'sports seats' and really like them, so now I will give some thought as to whether to keep my Evoque or trade it in for the same again but with sports seats minus the pano roof.....

Ali Very Happy
HAPPY AGAIN Very Happy

14-09-2012 01:07pm
mickydd

Glad it's sorted Ali.
Fingers crossed for the hosepipe test.
Mick

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
14-09-2012 01:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I can highly recommend the Plus seats, they are VERY comfortable once you get them set up (thank goodness for seat setting memories!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-09-2012 01:27pm
alibeau

(14-09-2012 01:27pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I can highly recommend the Plus seats, they are VERY comfortable once you get them set up (thank goodness for seat setting memories!)

Please don't encourage me Tim, next you'll be telling me Bali Blue is available Laughing

14-09-2012 01:29pm