Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)
paisan

RE: Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)

So , in a fit of pique I returned the blown bulbs to Osram UK . Received following response :
Return bulbs had failed prematurely but there were no manufacturing faults. The filaments showed that a high voltage probably reduced life . Replacement bulbs enclosed as a good will gesture.
So I have a spare set but....no idea how long they will last or what causes them to blow . Obviously I was driving at night , and had stereo on , heating , lights , but not heated seats. They go just driving along , not at initial engine turn on when you would think there would be a surge ( of sorts) .
Also , because I didnt know what Osram were going to say I ordered a "spare" set but Ring bulbs instead . This is a reasonable price, if they ar egoing to fail in a few months,:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ring-HB3-X...ORE:GB:101

However would be interested to know how long the Crystal Vision bulbs last or if they also blow/fail.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 11:40am by paisan.)
07-04-2013 11:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MisterCK

I'm about to give this a go... Having a 2013 Pure Plus w/ halogens, and having done HID swaps into projectors in previous cars. Will report back soon!
28-04-2013 05:23pm
MisterCK

Alright.. reporting in...

2013 US Pure Plus.

Purchased 5000K 35W Slimline HID kit from DDMtuning.com (no affiliation) for ~$50 USD including shipping.

1) Twist off cover from back of headlight
2) drill 7/8" hole in center of cover
3) run new light cables through hole
4) fit attached grommet to 7/8" hole, re-waterproofing the headlight housing
5) plug it all in
6) tiewrap the cables out of the way

Done! About a 15 minute job total from start to finish. Nice and easy. Bright lights, maintains the cutoff, looks great, looks true-white and more closely resembles the foglight lighting.

Highly recommend. And you don't need to 'overthink' it like so many are doing. No need for upgraded halogen lights. Just get the HID kit and do it.
28-05-2013 03:29am
Jonathon555

(06-04-2013 06:16pm)mbiegun Wrote:  Ok, I've read all your discussion focused on factory installed Halogen bulbs HB3 upgrade. Best Choice seems to be Philips Crystal Vision HB3 4300. Did anybody experienced any problems with these bulbs? Bursting out? Overheating? Police interst in the lights colour? If not I will invest in this small upgrade for my Pure.

Phillips crystal

Yes my bulbs exploded after 6 months

My mates exploded 3 days after my bulbs did

Now running ring xenon bulbs

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
06-06-2013 08:32pm