Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)
cjfp

RE: Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)

See posts 23 and 35

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
20-07-2012 09:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paisan

Ah great , Thank you. Post 23 had the salient point in . I missed it when reading ( ok , skim reading ) the thread.
21-07-2012 11:36am
SirNiall

(21-07-2012 11:36am)paisan Wrote:  Ah great , Thank you. Post 23 had the salient point in . I missed it when reading ( ok , skim reading ) the thread.

Hi All
I have been undertaking the same work to upgrade the factory fit candles.
Tried Philips Diamond vision. Nice white light, but no good at job....the blue coating filters out way too much light. No improvement from a driving perspective over the standard bulbs in rural locations.
Now running Ring Xenon Max. Much more light but yellower than the DVs. I will update how I get on with these as am still adjusting the headlamp position to get the best out of these. Much better than the stabdard bulbs.
Interested in a HID conversion though if these dont work. Should have ordered the Xenons !
23-10-2012 12:14pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Please remember those of us who might be driving toward you with all these extra powerful lamps. We have recently had a nasty accident in this area caused by a young lad with incredibly white and bright lamps that were really badly adjusted. Lots of complaints to the powers that be but nothing was done until an on coming driver was totally dazzled and drove into the side of the lad's Type R Civic. His insurer has deemed his car was not roadworthy as it was running non-standard headlamps.................. and therefore he only had 3rd party cover

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 01:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-10-2012 01:46pm
SirNiall

(23-10-2012 01:46pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Please remember those of us who might be driving toward you with all these extra powerful lamps. We have recently had a nasty accident in this area caused by a young lad with incredibly white and bright lamps that were really badly adjusted. Lots of complaints to the powers that be but nothing was done until an on coming driver was totally dazzled and drove into the side of the lad's Type R Civic. His insurer has deemed his car was not roadworthy as it was running non-standard headlamps.................. and therefore he only had 3rd party cover

Point well made. But my previous car BMW 530d had poorly adjusted adaptive xenons, so those of us lucky enough to have ordered those from new need to be aware that they to can dazzle.
The Ring Xenon Max ARE legal by the way.
I am spending a lot of time getting the adjustment right to give the best beam pattern but NOT dazzling oncoming or indeed drivers ahead of me.
In my opinion, poor headlamps are just as dangerous if not more so. I live in a rural area with no street lights. The number of idiots who walk in the verge in dark clothing is unbelievable.
24-10-2012 11:01am
XFullFatTim

I too live in the country and was able to spec the adaptive Xenons that I had had on previous cars and they are really good on country roads for just the reason you give, although here it isn't two legged things we have to watch out for it is the 4 legged ones with Xmas trees on their heads! Yes I had to have the adaptive Xenons on my last RR Sport adjusted as people kept flashing their lights at me and I assumed that was the reason. I also have a LR Defender that has about 2 candle power for it's halogen headlights - the LED side lights that I fitted are brighter...............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-10-2012 11:59am
paisan

Would just say that when fitting the new bulbs ( I have Osram Nightbreakers Plus which are fab on unlit country roads ) to make sure you get them in situ correctly.
First time , I hadnt fitted the passenger side correctly so the bulb was not sitting in the holder, one bit slightly proud of the holder position. This meant that the beam shone too far left albeit brightly. Noticed when switching to high beam the left side made zero difference. I was at the point of getting the alignment checked when I decided I better have another look at my own handiwork. Checked it , refitted and all well with beam pattern. No alignment check required.
Only been flashed once and that may have been because I Wasnt quick enough to switch down from high beam.
I did not remove grill etc , merely scuffed my knuckles trying to undo and refit the bulb in the really tight space on passenger side. Took a bit of fiddling and couple of attempts. Neither did I undo the wiring until after I removed the bulb from holder. There was enough wiring to remove the bulb then undo the stiff clip , whereas the manual suggest undoing clip first .
Drivers side fitting easy peasy, lots of space.
24-10-2012 12:51pm
SirNiall

(24-10-2012 11:59am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I too live in the country and was able to spec the adaptive Xenons that I had had on previous cars and they are really good on country roads for just the reason you give, although here it isn't two legged things we have to watch out for it is the 4 legged ones with Xmas trees on their heads! Yes I had to have the adaptive Xenons on my last RR Sport adjusted as people kept flashing their lights at me and I assumed that was the reason. I also have a LR Defender that has about 2 candle power for it's halogen headlights - the LED side lights that I fitted are brighter...............

Wife and eldest daughter have both hit Deer...bloody Muntjac to be precise. Wife had Adaptive Xenons, eldest daughter Halogens. Unfortunately deer react unpredictably and no amount of light will alter that risk it seems.
24-10-2012 04:02pm
stunt

I dont need to upgrade the evoque as I have Xenons however my last car a Scirroco did not I purchased MTEC bulbs from http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/ to give that xenon look. I used this site for all the interior LEDs - which i will do on the evoque in due course.

You may even find an LED replacement for you Halogens on that site.

A word of warning the 110w bulbs are not legal over hear and may overload your wiring looms. Only purchcase bulbs of the same wattage that are fitted now 55w i think.

When replacing halogen for a xenon look alike the bulbs will put less light on the road but will look whiter.

Fuji SD4 Dynamic. Coupe. Manual, Privacy
(This post was last modified: 26-10-2012 07:55pm by stunt.)
26-10-2012 07:54pm
XFullFatTim

IIRC HIDsdirect are sponsors of the RRSport forum I think so you might be able to get forum discount through them if you say you are on another of Martin's forums

(This post was last modified: 26-10-2012 08:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
26-10-2012 08:17pm