Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)
Evo-king

RE: Anyone "upgraded" bulbs on a Pure (Halogens)

stunt,

I read on another car makers forum that the MTEC bulb were so hot they were melting the light housings. Can't remember if it was Fiat or Honda Civic

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
26-10-2012 08:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stunt

(26-10-2012 08:48pm)Evo-king Wrote:  stunt,

I read on another car makers forum that the MTEC bulb were so hot they were melting the light housings. Can't remember if it was Fiat or Honda Civic

Probably the 100watt ones.

If you are upgrading bulbs always use the same wattage.

I never had an issue with them (55watt) in the Roc. The looked good too

Fuji SD4 Dynamic. Coupe. Manual, Privacy
28-10-2012 09:22pm
SirNiall

(28-10-2012 09:22pm)stunt Wrote:  Probably the 100watt ones.

If you are upgrading bulbs always use the same wattage.

I never had an issue with them (55watt) in the Roc. The looked good too

Have now sorted the alignment of the Ring Xenon Max and am finding them aboslutely fine and a big improvement on the standard glow worms fitted by LR. Happy to rec these to all
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 12:38pm by SirNiall.)
02-11-2012 12:23pm
Matthew Avery

I changed to the Halfords 90% bulbs which were slightly better but have now changed to the Osram 120% - these are noticibly better - but still not a patch on the xenons. I find I have to switch the fogs on to get the pheripheral illumination. The halogens are the one of the cars weakest points.
13-11-2012 06:53pm
ED209

(13-11-2012 06:53pm)Matthew Avery Wrote:  I changed to the Halfords 90% bulbs which were slightly better but have now changed to the Osram 120% - these are noticibly better - but still not a patch on the xenons. I find I have to switch the fogs on to get the pheripheral illumination. The halogens are the one of the cars weakest points.

You should only swithc the fogs on when its foggy, not to supplement your lights under normal conditions.

Pet hate of mine is misuse of fog lamps.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
13-11-2012 09:36pm
SirNiall

(13-11-2012 06:53pm)Matthew Avery Wrote:  I changed to the Halfords 90% bulbs which were slightly better but have now changed to the Osram 120% - these are noticibly better - but still not a patch on the xenons. I find I have to switch the fogs on to get the pheripheral illumination. The halogens are the one of the cars weakest points.

Found the ring xenon max to be no problem with peripheral illumination.
14-11-2012 10:34am
paisan

Ho Hum . Now on my THIRD set of Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs.

First set , one exploded - set returned . They had lasted 2 months .
Second set have both blown ( but neither exploded ) within days of each other , last week. So they lasted just under 4 months.
Just installed 3rd set and wonder how long they will last.

Will switch brands and order some Ring Xenon Ultima Max as my spare.

Just wondering , of other owners that have swapped bulbs , to what brand and how long did they last?
(This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 09:31pm by paisan.)
17-03-2013 09:30pm
SirNiall

Hi All

Completely given up on the high power bulbs as they blow very quickly. That applies to both Osram and Ring.

Have now fitted HID a quality kit and they are working fine, give a better light, do not dazzle anyone and work very well with the projector bulbs. I have headlamp washers and the magna whatsit dampers provide self levelling.

IMHO..forget the upgrade bulbs they are a waste of money .
18-03-2013 10:35am
Polly Joke

One thing that I disliked about my Pure was the yellow headlights, especially when compared to the DLRs. Also when driving to Cornwall for the first time I was astounded by how poorly they lit up the road at night.

So, I invested in some Philips Crystal Vision HB3 bulbs and the difference is amazing! They look great and they actually illuminate the road - marvellous!

However, although the Philips Crystal Vision bulbs are advertised as 4300K (which is what I wanted), they actually had 4000K on the packaging. I queried this and upon investigation the seller told me that it turns out all HB3 Crystal Visions are 4000K whereas all other fittings are 4300K.

I replaced the bulbs by removing the headlight unit as shown in the video earlier in this post. It was quite scary as this method does bend and chew-up the edge of the bumper - but it is all concealed by the headlight unit once replaced. Overall - very happy.

Ordered: Pure, SD4, manual, Santorini black, black interior (but just seen almond so think I will change), 20" style 6, fog lights, auto headlights, auto wipers, spare wheel
04-04-2013 09:06am
mbiegun

Ok, I've read all your discussion focused on factory installed Halogen bulbs HB3 upgrade. Best Choice seems to be Philips Crystal Vision HB3 4300. Did anybody experienced any problems with these bulbs? Bursting out? Overheating? Police interst in the lights colour? If not I will invest in this small upgrade for my Pure.

RREvoque Pure Si4, Colima Lime, 5dr, Tech and Winter Paket, 19" wheels mod.5
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 06:17pm by mbiegun.)
06-04-2013 06:16pm