Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Adaptive Dynamics
jitenc

Adaptive Dynamics

Does anyone know how good the RRE Dynamic runs on normal driving compared to the Prestige normal drive?
I went for a test drive on a Dynamnic and had somewhat a wild time driving on Sports Mode With AD on full time. (It certainly gives a run for its money compared to my 3 series BMW.)
I know that the Dynamic gives a firmer ride with AD on. But how does it compare with the Prestige when on normal roads.
I drove a Prestige later on, but it was smoother, partly because i was driving, safely! Anyone with any views.... driving both cars has got me more confusedConfused
BYE BYE BMW!!!!

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
15-09-2011 11:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spiderman

RE: Adaptive Dynamics

(15-09-2011 11:32pm)jitenc Wrote:  Does anyone know how good the RRE Dynamic runs on normal driving compared to the Prestige normal drive?
I went for a test drive on a Dynamnic and had somewhat a wild time driving on Sports Mode With AD on full time. (It certainly gives a run for its money compared to my 3 series BMW.)
I know that the Dynamic gives a firmer ride with AD on. But how does it compare with the Prestige when on normal roads.
I drove a Prestige later on, but it was smoother, partly because i was driving, safely! Anyone with any views.... driving both cars has got me more confusedConfused
BYE BYE BMW!!!!

I'm with you on this....see other thread started earlier today, it has a bunch of replies already and is the same topic.

I am collecting my 5 dr Dynamic model tomorrow so over the next wee while I'll be evaluating the AD system fully as I have another Evoque due in December and am currently unsure whether the AD will be a pain on a day to day basis, as last week when I drove the two models back to back I found the Prestiges standard suspension set up to be really excellent, even when motoring on, I also drove a 3 dr Dynamic Coupe last week & found it's ride to be very fidgety, so I am hoping the 5dr version has a different trait, if not my Decembers car will definitely be a Prestige for it's standard suspension and superior interior, especially as you can now buy the Dynamics body kit to enhance the Prestiges looks further, although it's a pretty handsome car in it's current guise!

Hope this helps...

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
16-09-2011 01:17am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well my 3 door Dynamic has superb ride considering it is on lowish profile 20" wheels, when in normal mode. It is only when I use Dynamic on the TR system that it can get untidy on corrugated sections of road, in normal mode the ride is as good as that of the FFRR on airsprings except that when you get to a corner the car doesn't roll, it corners totally flat like my TDv8 RRS with it's trick electro-hydraulic anti-roll bars did.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 09:32am by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 09:31am
jitenc

Thanks Spiderman and Tim. Does really help...at this stage the prestige is £1500 more than the same spec i have done on the Dynamic. So its a case of ride against luxury!!! i will def check the other threads out....what can you do to enhance the dynamic look on the prestige??? i might have to stick with trhe dynamic as it costs less....

16-09-2011 10:26am
XFullFatTim

A dynamic in original clothes with be worth more too at trade in time than a Prestige with the additional Dynamic bits added later, also your insurance may load the premium for you modifying the car to look like something more sporty

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-09-2011 10:58am
jitenc

(16-09-2011 10:58am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  A dynamic in original clothes with be worth more too at trade in time than a Prestige with the additional Dynamic bits added later, also your insurance may load the premium for you modifying the car to look like something more sporty

Ah.. but will the insurance premium go up if it is dealer fitted at point of delivery?? or is it better to go to the website ... (can't remember which)... that fits these parts at a slightly lower cost... and not state it to the insurance... or is it illegal to do that...( sorry, my naivity)Shocked

16-09-2011 12:07pm
XFullFatTim

You should check what your insurers policy is with modifications. Some are only interested in mechanical / performance upgrades and only require a letter from you stating what you have done and stating that no performance enhancing devices have been fitted. Other insurers consider body kits as a modification and will want an increased premium. There is no law that makes you declare body mods to your insurer, it's just a bit silly as in these days when insurers look at any means for declining to cough up on a claim they could consider putting Dynamic bits onto a Prestige to be a modification to make the car into a Dynamic and thus appear "sportier" (we all know it is the same underneath as the Dynamic).

6 years ago I converted my Defender from a Hardtop (a van) into a Stationwagon with 4 seats in the back. My insurers (RSA) weren't interested in the least other than requesting a letter stating that the convert ion had been carried out by a motor engineer, that there were enough seat belts fitted for the number of seats now fitted and crucially certifying that no performance upgrade had been made. It was the same when I fitted a winch to the front and had a new chassis fitted.

If you don't declare the mods to your insurer then the mods will not be insured but if they chose to they could decline to pay out because of a non-disclosure as the car isn't as described in the policy document. In the event of a prang involving a third party you would still be covered for damage to the other party's car but your insurer might not cover you for damage to your own car................. many of the Direct-lines/priveledges/ Admirals/e-sures of the insurance world would probably take the above line.

(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 02:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 01:57pm
jitenc

Back to the original subject of AD.
I read the other threads and am trying to summarise my finding in short.This is a big factor in deciding going for the Prestige or the Dynamic..
Am i right is saying that :
1) the Adaptive Dynamics is 'ON' all the time and become more active when it is turned to AD Mode...
2) you come down with a thud over the bumps when on AD Mode... not very Adaptive!!
3) AD uses more fuel as you are making the engine work harder.
4) AD has a stiffer ride unless you go '70 mph' round the corners.

If all this is the case, then i am more inclined to stick to the Prestige and put on 20" alloys to give a slightly stiffer ride and road handling.. Help!!!

16-09-2011 02:54pm
SW6RR

Adaptive Dynamics

No, that's not right.

AD is on all the time, correct. However, it's only in dynamic mode that everything is stiffer and sportier. In all the other modes (e.g. Normal, sand, mud and ruts, etc) AD is still on all the time, but the response isnt firm and sporty, it should just mean that the suspension reacts more quickly and effectively than a standard suspension.

There is a massive confusion on the site around the terms AD, magneride and dynamic mode.

AD = magneride. They are the same thing. It is always on and refers to the clever suspension system which has been described in lots of detail already.

Dynamic mode is one extra mode you get when you have AD, ie, it is an alternative mode to normal, sand, mud and ruts, etc. This gives a sportier, firmer set up for when you want it, ie, on flat, fast roads.

Hope this helps....!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.863060,5.246792

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
16-09-2011 03:19pm
jitenc

thanks... that does clarify things... Now need to have a brainstorming session with my heart whether i go for the Prestige with the AD or the Dynamic.

(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 02:34pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 06:17pm