Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake issue?
Kevp

RE: Brake issue?

(29-01-2013 11:20am)RacingSnake Wrote:  I'll come in on this thread now, I was slack and didn't wash the car during the bouts of snow we had, but finally got round to it on friday.
The fronts were fine (just dust), but the rears were properly coated, and started to ingrain Sad Rears are clearly working much harder than the fronts, and much like others on here, I've never seen this before Neutral

I've also noticed my rear wheels have more brake dust than the fronts. They've started to go bronze.I've washed the car at least once a week since taking delivery in Oct2012 and have covered 4000 miles.May have to visit the dealer.

Arrived Oct2012: Pure 5door SD4 baltic blue/ebony /20" style 6 /pano roof /front fogs/powerfold mirrors/privacy glass/front parking aid.
29-01-2013 12:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

(29-01-2013 11:53am)cutter7 Wrote:  When i changed both front and rear pads at 27k recently, the wear rate was about the same F/R.

Hi cutter, Did you notice the rear brake dust build up, is it just an effect of the way the dust settles?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-01-2013 01:04pm
rchrdleigh

(28-01-2013 12:15am)PhilSkill Wrote:  I never apply my handbrake while moving, and always release before pulling off, there is absolutely no reason for the rear brakes to wear additionally because of the Electronic brake the way I use it, but I Also noticed this cleaning mine, have pics to post when I can

Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) has nothing to do with the electronic handbrake it is how brake force is distributed between the various wheels to ensure maximum efficiency when braking the car. To ensure the car stops safely EBD will often apply more brake pressure to the real wheels than to the front, almost acting as an anchor.
29-01-2013 01:07pm
cutter7

Brake issue?

(29-01-2013 01:04pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Hi cutter, Did you notice the rear brake dust build up, is it just an effect of the way the dust settles?

I have never noticed any difference in brake dust build between F/R wheels.

As my wheels are spoked with quite large gaps between the spokes maybe more dust is lost through these?
(29-01-2013 01:17pm)cutter7 Wrote:  I have never noticed any difference in brake dust build between F/R wheels.

As my wheels are spoked with quite large gaps between the spokes maybe more dust is lost through these?

[Image: nave4aze.jpg]
[Image: me9y6ebe.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 01:31pm by cutter7.)
29-01-2013 01:17pm
PhilSkill

(29-01-2013 01:07pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) has nothing to do with the electronic handbrake it is how brake force is distributed between the various wheels to ensure maximum efficiency when braking the car. To ensure the car stops safely EBD will often apply more brake pressure to the real wheels than to the front, almost acting as an anchor.

Hi Cutter looks pretty even wear for you, which you know since you changed the pads!

Hi Richard, Thanks I hadn't spotted that function, I notice from the manual with only the driver it should reduce the rear brake usage... I rarely drive with anyone but myself... so the rear wear should be reduced, although I guess the system is actually trying to maintain minimum wheel slip so if the rears needed more force it will apply more rear braking. Wonder if it's an effect of the tyres or wheels in use for traction?

From the Manual : Wrote:EBD controls the balance of braking forces supplied to the front and rear wheels, in order to maintain maximum braking efficiency.

If the vehicle has a light load (only the driver in the vehicle for example), EBD will reduce the braking force applied to the rear wheels. If the vehicle is heavily laden, EBD will allow greater braking force to the rear wheels.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 02:51pm by PhilSkill.)
29-01-2013 02:50pm
cjfp

Fairly even for me too :-

Front

Back

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
29-01-2013 03:16pm