Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Adaptive Dynamics
mark_n

RE: Adaptive Dynamics

Good to hear that the Adaptive Damping is delivering the goods. Compared to the alternative of a single fixed damper setting, having two programs of continuously variable damping cannot fail to improve things unless the development has gone badly wrong which is unlikely since Mike Cross from Jaguar was involved.

In my view - which I've always had - Adaptive Damping is a must-have.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-09-2011 05:22am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
j7david

The one important test that I've not heard or seen reported is how an Evoque on, say, 19" wheels without AD compares to one with the same size wheels with AD, for "normal" (not-'spirited') driving.

Or how 18" wheels without AD compare to 19" or 20" wheels with AD.

There's lots of talk about dynamic mode, but I expect most of us will be in normal mode the large majority of the time. It would be nice to know how much difference AD makes there.
18-09-2011 08:03am
jitenc

(18-09-2011 08:03am)j7david Wrote:  The one important test that I've not heard or seen reported is how an Evoque on, say, 19" wheels without AD compares to one with the same size wheels with AD, for "normal" (not-'spirited') driving.

There's lots of talk about dynamic mode, but I expect most of us will be in normal mode the large majority of the time. It would be nice to know how much difference AD makes there.

Now you're going to add lots of thought to this notion, j7david. I suspect it would not make alot of considerable difference with differnt size wheels. Most of the time, there will be alot of town driving for most of us, and the really difference for some will only make if you are going round a roundabout at 70mph ( with the Dynamic mode setting). i suspect it will feel similar with 20" without the AD.... i would need Spiderman's opinion here.....

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
18-09-2011 08:19am
Spiderman

(18-09-2011 08:19am)jitenc Wrote:  
(18-09-2011 08:03am)j7david Wrote:  The one important test that I've not heard or seen reported is how an Evoque on, say, 19" wheels without AD compares to one with the same size wheels with AD, for "normal" (not-'spirited') driving.

Now you're going to add lots of thought to this notion, j7david. I suspect it would not make alot of considerable difference with differnt size wheels. Most of the time, there will be alot of town driving for most of us, and the really difference for some will only make if you are going round a roundabout at 70mph ( with the Dynamic mode setting). i suspect it will feel similar with 20" without the AD.... i would need Spiderman's opinion here.....

Here it is then....my wife ordered the Prestige model on 19" wheels without the AD pack because she initially felt it provided the 'usual' RR impervious ride. She also wanted a car that restrained her from driving as if she were in a sports car, as she wanted a to adopt a more relaxed driving style in hers and as she did not care for the black accents on the Dynamic model we felt the Prestige matched her requirements and this style of driving perfectly, whilst also providing her with a sharper handling when compared to other LR & RR products, including her Freelander2 and my RRS & FFRR.

Myself on the other hand wanted all of the above, but, a sporty feel to my Evoque was also an absolute must have, so without having had a test drive, knee op & my business demands put paid to this, I opted for the Dynamic model on it's standard sized 20" wheels, this model automatically comes with AD fitted in the UK.

My initial dilemma like most was "have I ordered correctly here" as having driven other cars with Magneride, with varying levels of success and failure, I was genuinely concerned that perhaps I had made an expensive mistake....I needn't have worried though as having now driven both suspension versions back to back again, on 20" wheels, & having also collected my new Evoque on Thursday, I can say without fear of contradiction that the Magneride developed and used on the Evoque is very, very good, in fact Id say its excellent.

In summary I advise this...any Evoque with Magneride will ride firmer than an Evoque without it for sure, as the nature of the Magneride suspension set-up is to adapt its suspension travel in milliseconds, as such it adapts to each road surface as you travel over it and this keeps the car flat and definitely minimises any body roll, as such it handles better than a RRE without this fitted and I have found it instantly more compliant over a range of surfaces, whether on 19" or 20" wheels, so if you want the best handling Evoque, whilst also enjoying the usual RR refinements then I & many of the motoring magazines advise that Magneride is the suspension to opt for...and as I was trying to subtly persuade my wife to change her order to include it now that I have driven it for a few hundred miles, I feel that on a day to day basis, whether she puts the AD in to its sportier Dynamic mode or not, it would make her car a far better model to own & enjoy....so, I asked her to take my Evoque & drive it on a 20+ mile round trip over B class twisty country roads & dual carriageway to the local town today to collect something for me and when she came back she was converted, so her Prestige order is away to have the AD Pack added to it on Monday & I need say no more, given you will recall that her requirement was not for a sporty Evoque!

Whereas I want a sportier drive & over the last 3 days I have used my AD's Dynamic mode fully to differentiate between the 2 modes over the same roads and report this....

Both modes are excellent, I have raved about the standard Magneride AD mode above, however, when you put this in it's Dynamic mode it results in this cars handling becoming more focussed, its sharper still and weighs the steering up nicely, making it even more direct, it changes it's personality from a very good car into a proper drivers car!

It's testament to Mike Cross & his Team at LR that they have ensured the 2 settings of Magneride give the car this split personality, as by doing so they have enabled it to suit perfectly the different needs of 2 very different drivers requirements, as it also provides the keener & more experienced driver to enjoy 2 cars for the price of 1 and I would not hesitate to recommend it's inclusion on anyones Evoque....it really is that good!

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 12:25pm by Spiderman.)
18-09-2011 11:37am
Blackseries

I ordered my Prestige blind and wasn’t able to get to an Unleashed event until after the “lock in” date so needless to say I was also I bit anxious as to whether I had ordered my car with the right combo (Prestige AD & 20” wheels). For the unleashed day I drove a UK Dynamic ie 20” wheels and AD and was very pleasantly surprised and relived that the ride (and comfort) in normal mode was very good – it does seem to offer the comfort and control of air suspension without the complexity. At that point I didn’t have anything to compare it against however last week I had half a day out in a Prestige with 19” wheels and no AD ... and whilst the ride was perfectly acceptable (Citroen-esque – and that’s a compliment) it didn’t feel as pinned down as the Dynamic – it was a bit floaty and less sharp. I’m sure that the perfect combo would probably be AD and 19” wheels if you are after the ultimate in ride comfort (but I really liked the Style 6 wheels). There certainly is a difference between AD and non AD equipped cars in normal driving mode and I for one am very glad I specced it.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
18-09-2011 12:19pm
jitenc

(18-09-2011 11:37am)Spiderman Wrote:  
(18-09-2011 08:19am)jitenc Wrote:  

Here it is then....my wife ordered the Prestige model on 19" wheels without the AD pack because she initially felt it provided the 'usual' RR impervious ride. She also wanted a car that restrained her from driving as if she were in a sports car, as she wanted a to adopt a more relaxed driving style in hers and as she did not care for the black accents on the Dynamic model we felt the Prestige matched her requirements and this style of driving perfectly, whilst also providing her with a sharper handling when compared to other LR & RR products, including her Freelander2 and my RRS & FFRR.

Myself on the other hand wanted all of the above, but, a sporty feel to my Evoque was also an absolute must have, so without having had a test drive, knee op & my business demands put paid to this, I opted for the Dynamic model on it's standard sized 20" wheels, this model automatically comes with AD fitted in the UK.

My initial dilemma like most was "have I ordered correctly here" as having driven other cars with Magneride, with varying levels of success and failure, I was genuinely concerned that perhaps I had made an expensive mistake....I needn't have worried though as having now driven both suspension versions back to back again, on 20" wheels, & having also collected my new Evoque on Thursday, I can say without fear of contradiction that the Magneride developed and used on the Evoque is very, very good, in fact Id say its excellent.

In summary I advise this...any Evoque with Magneride will ride firmer than an Evoque without it for sure, as the nature of the Magneride suspension set-up is to adapt its suspension travel in milliseconds, as such it adapts to each road surface as you travel over it and this keeps the car flat and definitely minimises any body roll, as such it handles better than a RRE without this fitted and I have found it instantly more compliant over a range of surfaces, whether on 19" or 20" wheels, so if you want the best handling Evoque, whilst also enjoying the usual RR refinements then I & many of the motoring magazines advise that Magneride is the suspension to opt for...and as I was trying to subtly persuade my wife to change her order to include it now that I have driven it for a few hundred miles, I feel that on a day to day basis, whether she puts the AD in to its sportier Dynamic mode or not, it would make her car a far better model to own & enjoy....so, I asked her to take my Evoque & drive it on a 20+ mile round trip over B class twisty country roads & dual carriageway to the local town today to collect something for me and when she came back she was converted, so her Prestige order is away to have the AD Pack added to it on Monday & I need say no more, given you will recall that her requirement was not for a sporty Evoque!

Whereas I want a sportier drive & over the last 3 days I have used my AD's Dynamic mode fully to differentiate between the 2 modes over the same roads and report this....

Both modes are excellent, I have raved about the standard Magneride AD mode above, however, when you put this in it's Dynamic mode it results in this cars handling becoming more focussed, its sharper still and weighs the steering up nicely, making it even more direct, it changes it's personality from a very good car into a proper drivers car!

It's testament to Mike Cross & his Team at LR that they have ensured the 2 settings of Magneride give the car this split personality, as by doing so they have enabled it to suit perfectly the different needs of 2 very different drivers requirements, as it also provides the keener & more experienced driver to enjoy 2 cars for the price of 1 and I would not hesitate to recommend it's inclusion on anyones Evoque....it really is that good!

Thanks Spiderman... i am now converted... i'll trust your judgment... since you are ordering 2 cars... both Dynamic.;.. back to the dealer to change my spec....

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
19-09-2011 01:00pm
SebM

Thanks for the review Spiderman ! Then, two Evoque in your family, nice thing !! Well done !!

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
19-09-2011 01:07pm
andyuk

Ok now confused reading AD.

I went to my dealers today to upgrade from my Pure to the Dynamic & i was going through all the extra items i will get with my dynamic and then we got to the AD part.

He said basically its an extra button which you press to give you a more sporty ride whilst your going on some A roads. I was under the impression that it was automatically on all the time & it just adjust itself to the surface your travelling on but my sales guy said no it was just another mode you can use by pressing the button.

Is my sales guy correct & have i mis-read something?

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
20-09-2011 10:53pm
Blackseries

(20-09-2011 10:53pm)andyuk Wrote:  Is my sales guy correct & have i mis-read something?

No your sales Guy is wrong .... AD is active in normal driving mode (in fact its active in all driving modes) .... therefore even in standard driving mode (Non Dynamic mode) the ride is more controlled and actually a bit softer over the bumps than a non AD equipped car.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
20-09-2011 11:14pm
andyuk

(20-09-2011 11:14pm)Blackseries Wrote:  
(20-09-2011 10:53pm)andyuk Wrote:  Is my sales guy correct & have i mis-read something?

No your sales Guy is wrong .... AD is active in normal driving mode (in fact its active in all driving modes) .... therefore even in standard driving mode (Non Dynamic mode) the ride is more controlled and actually a bit softer over the bumps than a non AD equipped car.

Thought so!

Very strange that I can actually find out more info on here than from the Range Rover Sales guy!

So in short my Dynamic will automatically have a better ride than my original Pure order would have had without me pressing anything.

Then if I select the button then I will get a more sportier ride & dash will light up Red correct?

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
20-09-2011 11:52pm