Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Adaptive Dynamics
jestlookin

RE: Adaptive Dynamics

Hey guys - new to the forum but really appreciate all the great info!

Quick question - I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 "demonstrator" from a Land Rover dealer in the US (North Carolina). The dealer is confident that the car does NOT have the Adaptive Dynamics option (and the window sticker backs that up), but the terrain response indicator has all 5 icons (including the Dynamic option) and when driving, the Dynamic mode is selectable (the gauges turn red and the "Dynamic" mode is indicated in the dash). I have understood that the Dynamic mode only exists when the Adaptive Dynamics option is included, so I am now pretty confused... can anyone shed some light? I'm of course hoping the dealer is just wrong and the car in fact has AD...

Thanks in advance!
29-01-2013 12:03am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

Welcome Jestlookin,
If you do buy this RRE, I would play it dumb with your knowledge about the adaptive dynamics to get your self a bargain Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
29-01-2013 12:18am
jestlookin

(29-01-2013 12:18am)doug Wrote:  Welcome Jestlookin,
If you do buy this RRE, I would play it dumb with your knowledge about the adaptive dynamics to get your self a bargain Very Happy

Thanks, doug - you think I should be confident that the RRE in fact has adaptive dynamics?

29-01-2013 12:29am
doug

Well it does have the dynamic setting in your pictures, so unless for some reason the car was made with the switch but not the hardware (magneride) to run it I would say yes. The true test is a test drive to notice the change in the ride when switched to this mode.

In the UK you only get the 5th setting for dynamic mode on the Dynamic model (option on a Prestige) which has the setting as standard.
I'm sure a US member can answer that the switch isn't standard & in fact is only fitted on a RRE with the magnaride option.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
29-01-2013 12:48am
PhilSkill

Yep thats the Dynamic mode road symbol! It'll say dynamic mode on the dash and show a dynamic car picture enabling the stiffer driving mode when the winding road lit, and special modes off when you go back to the little car symbol. If you test drive it put the mode on/off on a bumpy road you should feel the bumps more in dynamic mode.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-01-2013 12:52am
jitenc

(29-01-2013 12:18am)doug Wrote:  Welcome Jestlookin,

Better still... Tell the dealer that the Evoque has Adaptive Dynamics. Since he is stating it doesn't have, tell him you are not willing to pay his asking price as you wanted a car with AD ...double up on the bargain ..Very HappyVery Happy

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
29-01-2013 06:16am
Gorjan

It should have AD, but this reminds of my car - I purchased car from the showroom, it was stated that it has rear camera, and the camera was there in the back, but after I have purchased it, i have reailzed that the camera was installed by mistake and there was not actual installation for it as well as there was no software configration for it to work... So u need to test it... It might be a good idea to check the options the actual car has on the TOPIX site by entering its VIN.

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
29-01-2013 02:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The other thing you will notice with Dynamic mode engaged is that the steering also weights up, as it also gets remapped in Dynamic mode. There is an American member here who received his Dynamic but no Dynamic button!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 02:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-01-2013 02:58pm
Big G

(11-02-2012 11:25am)stef.c Wrote:  Thanks. Any thoughts from any one else on this? This seems quite a relevent topic but no one has really discussed this particular side of AD! It seems rather glossed over.

I think there are quite a few people out there with experience of both cars...

Lot been said already. I have Adaptive Dynamics as I purchased its as an extra. I find the ride in normal AD mode very very smooth and responsive. When I turn on the 'dynamic setting' on the AD it firms everything up and I find the ride quite bumpy compared to 'normal AD' - which is the default setting. It's more of a sports setting in AD dynamic mode.

If you purchase AD I don't think you'll be disappointed. As for AD on a Prestige or a Dynamic 'model' it's exactly the same.
(11-02-2012 11:25am)stef.c Wrote:  Thanks. Any thoughts from any one else on this? This seems quite a relevent topic but no one has really discussed this particular side of AD! It seems rather glossed over.

I think there are quite a few people out there with experience of both cars...
Lot been said already. I have Adaptive Dynamics as I purchased its as an extra. I find the ride in normal AD mode very very smooth and responsive. When I turn on the 'dynamic setting' on the AD it firms everything up and I find the ride quite bumpy compared to 'normal AD'. It's more of a sports setting in AD 'dynamic' mode.

If you purchase AD I don't think you'll be disappointed. As for AD on a Prestige or a Dynamic 'model' it's exactly the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 04:15pm by Big G.)
29-01-2013 04:14pm
scrannel

I had this option on my C6 Corvette. Despite what the Wikipedia article says, Corvette has had this since 1993. The design's purpose is to create a luxurious ride under normal conditions. Once the road becomes rough or twisty the suspension responds, sampling the road at more than 1000 times a second. Far more than any other suspension. Because GM developed this suspension, the problem they encountered were lunk-head Corvette owners demanding a "really cool sporty firm ride". So, against the development team's wishes, a "sport mode" was included. On my C6, it defeated the purpose of the system and I never used it as the car did what it was supposed to do on the regular setting.

For instance, I have an extremely bad back (motorcycle and bicycle accidents) and I could ride all day in my C6 Corvette with the Magnetic ride in the normal position. But with it in "sport" mode it killed me. (It wasn't until Ferrari began using it that the Corvette crowd began appreciating it). I'm experimenting with this "newer" version in both modes -- but the firm mode should be irrelevant. And yes, of course, it's always on. There's a road near me where cars get a bit airborne at speed. In my C6, normal mode, the car magically stayed glued to the road. On "sport", it lost traction -- it defeated the design. I expect this to be the same on the Evoque.

And BTW, here's a link talking about the final design for the Corvette, how great it is and that "touring" mode lapped faster than "sport".

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coup..._corvette/

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 09:08pm by scrannel.)
29-01-2013 05:52pm