babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: News from Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
As the Evoque is built in the U.K., any news here is likely to be old news. Anyway, thought I'd share a few differences between the markets. For example, there is no diesel available here. One salesman told me it's because of slight regulation differences, but a more straight talking one told me that basically in Japan, diesel does not have a premium image, and they are a rarity in any car.

With the introduction of the 2014 model at Tokyo's motor show last November, I was tempted by this limited edition Dynamic model, especially as it would be delivered in February.

However, I prefer the interior materials of the Prestige so went for that, and at ¥500,000 difference plus discount, I can live without the 20 inch wheels, Dynamic body style and contrast roof paint. Otherwise, spec is the same, including magnaride dampers. Life is about compromise they say!

Anyway, at the risk of being dull, will pause here...and wait in eager anticipation till May for my wheels!

I used to be a regular visitor to Shimizu and was always surprised how many Mk1 Discoveries I used to see parked up on the beach front there on the weekends we called at the port, usually 4 or 5 of them. They seemed popular with a bunch of guys who were fishing from the beach there. There were certainly Diesel Disco 1's available in Japan as they were a popular re-import from Japan 5-6 years ago as they had much higher specification levels than UK market cars and had an automatic option with a higher power output than we got. Of course they were very expensive cars in japan and were always lovingly looked after - a great buy when they got to 10 years old and were shipped back overseas to avoid huge taxes.
Out of the cities and you do stumble across the odd diesel. Shimizu is certainly a lovely spot. I've seen a few surfers with LR's and from what I've seen of Disco drivers in Tokyo, they seem to be young, arty types.

Would be interesting to see a profile of owners by model and country.
There's PR and then there's priceless PR! This shows off the Evoque's go anywhere capabilities to the fore!

This Evoque driver in the north of a Japan was idling at the lights when a police car pulled up alongside. The officers in question were minding their own business when the Evoque driver panicked due to being under the influence of something! Panic may be an understatement!

http://youtu.be/gpopyDM2W0U

At least he indicated to turn right!
Poor Evoque! and in a proper color too! Smile
(05-02-2014 03:24pm)HeartbreakRidge Wrote: [ -> ]Poor Evoque! and in a proper color too! Smile
Certainly a novel approach to off-roading! I wonder which setting he had the terrain response system in to cause all of this damage!
Happy days. Just got a mail from my dealer...

お世話になります。
ご報告ですが、トムソン様の車は完成し、ただ今港で
輸出待ちの状況です。

よろしくお伝え下さいませ。

ジャガー・ランドローバー川口
栗岩 靖

....Ooops, sorry! Hehe. My car has been built and is at the docks waiting to sail its way over here, and a bit earlier than stated (under promise and over deliver)! Hopefully will be on these shores in a few weeks. If I can get it before the start if April, I might miss the 3% increase in the national sales tax! The excitement just ratcheted up a few notches. Time to make that decision on aluminum paddle shifters!!
Good news! Hopefully I get some similar news (as my build date approaches!).
(03-03-2014 03:06pm)HeartbreakRidge Wrote: [ -> ]Good news! Hopefully I get some similar news (as my build date approaches!).

Fingers crossed for you. Now looking at the various aftermarket stuff! iPad holder, car cover, paddle shift, etc.! Could burn a serious hole in my pocket. Deep breath, and relax!! Just hope the boat hits here before it goes around the rest of Asia.
If you know the ship's name (your car would never get to you if it came by boat.........) then you can track it online. Usually LR use Wilhelmsen Lines for vehicle shipping. Question is, is it going to go the "short" way round or the "long" way round via Baltimore, Panama Canal and The US West coast or the via the Suez Canal, Singapore, Ningbo and Yokohama.....................
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's