Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'

Welcome to the forum PMathers, I would still get the car into a dealership to check out the alternator, otherwise you will continue to have this problem as the new battery runs out of charge too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 05:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-07-2012 05:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

Problem now sorted.

Evoque was dropped in at the dealers yesterday at 08:10 and collected at 14:00 having had a new alternater fitted, they had also done the same job on another customers Evoque the day before. Looks like our 'smart alternators' are not that smart after all. Dealer did a good job, seemed to take the problem on board and car was also returned cleaned.

So far so good looks like the problem is fixed - fingers crossed!

On another topic we managed 43.9 mpg on the trip in, thats from the north end of Skye to Inverness, 125 miles with more than a few good hills! Left home at 05:30 only traffic we encountered was a 'part time pikey' in a motorhome doing about 20mph on the climb up through Glenshiel, if it was not for this encounter I think we would have topped 44mpg. It is getting better after 3500 miles but well off LRs figures.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 06:45pm by Tony.)
11-07-2012 06:43pm
The Valeter

(03-07-2012 01:26pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I think this is a fairly common warning, I have had it several times when using the radio / TV without the ignition running. I don't think it is a battery fault I think it is a self check problem. It is well known that the Meridian system is a huge power drawer on the battery with it's sophisticated amps which is why you only get 10 minutes of listening before it shuts off. I also doubt that a 10mile run is enough to replace the lost charge, remember the alternator is a "smart" one that regulates how much load it puts on the engine for the sake of fuel economy/ emissions. Sorry I cannot give any ore help than that, but I'm sure that somebody will come along who has the answer. Have you tried contacting Nik at LR customer services about the problem?

If this is the case then I really do wish I had known this before buying the car as I would have gone for lesser spec etc. Confused

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
19-07-2012 12:18am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QUEEVO

(19-07-2012 12:18am)The Valeter Wrote:  If this is the case then I really do wish I had known this before buying the car as I would have gone for lesser spec etc. Confused

I did not spec the larger audio system for this reason... a small thing, I know. Anyway I figure that I was buying it for a lot more reasons - and I find I mainly listen to radio.

Leads me back to considering the dual battery system... hmmm.

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
22-07-2012 08:24pm
Tony

AGAIN!

Just six weeks after having the alternator replaced to fix this problem I am getting the Low Battery warning coming up again. I am currently awaiting the dealers reply but I will be persuing LR HQ for some compensation as another 250 round trip to the dealers will make 1250 miles worth of diesel its cost me to get faults sorted - and we all know how ecconomical the Evoque is don't we!

This is the worst car I have owned since I had the misfortune to lease a Rover 216 fifteen years ago.

I am carefully thinking of getting rid if I can get my money back, its done less than 4k miles and a third of that has been to and from the dealers with problems.

Most expensive car I have owned and by far the most dissapointing.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
21-08-2012 12:53pm
colski1961

parked up to watch TV while waiting for a relative to land at the airport earlier this week. Turned engine off and everything shut off, so had to press the start button to switch the TV vents back on - kept switching off after 10 mins then, after 15 mins got the 'low battery' warning! Car had just done a 3 hour journey (so should have been fully charged), less than 6 months old and done 3500 miles.
It's my one gripe with the car so far, you can't really sit with engine off / ignition on - like any other car I've every owned. Really annoying me. However, back on subject, is the 'low battery' warning I got the same problem described here? Do I need a trip to the dealer? Only happened the once (so far).
Cheers, Colin

2012 62 Porsche Cayenne Diesel - Black (eveyday use)
2012 61 Porsche Cayman R PDK - Peridot Very Happy (for weekend joy)
2011 Landlegend Compact Tractor (for doing tractory types of things)

Gone :
2012 (1st March) Evoque S4D Lux pack - Firenze Red & Verve interior - traded Nov 12 - sorry folks Sad
21-08-2012 01:19pm
The Valeter

(21-08-2012 01:19pm)colski1961 Wrote:  parked up to watch TV while waiting for a relative to land at the airport earlier this week. Turned engine off and everything shut off, so had to press the start button to switch the TV vents back on - kept switching off after 10 mins then, after 15 mins got the 'low battery' warning! Car had just done a 3 hour journey (so should have been fully charged), less than 6 months old and done 3500 miles.
It's my one gripe with the car so far, you can't really sit with engine off / ignition on - like any other car I've every owned. Really annoying me. However, back on subject, is the 'low battery' warning I got the same problem described here? Do I need a trip to the dealer? Only happened the once (so far).
Cheers, Colin

I feel the same it is why I had the TV too to watch while parked up = waste of money!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
21-08-2012 01:41pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

(21-08-2012 01:19pm)colski1961 Wrote:  parked up to watch TV while waiting for a relative to land at the airport earlier this week. Turned engine off and everything shut off, so had to press the start button to switch the TV vents back on - kept switching off after 10 mins then, after 15 mins got the 'low battery' warning! Car had just done a 3 hour journey (so should have been fully charged), less than 6 months old and done 3500 miles.
Cheers, Colin

Colin, The 10 minute warning is normal, its noted in the handbook. The problem mine has is a 3 minute warning, this flashes up on engine start-up and as soon as the engine has stopped and the radio is left on. I had a new alternator fitted 6 weeks ago which cured the problem - Until today!

Its booked in next week to be checked and possibly another alternator. Service manager did say they have replaced 'a number' of alternators but mine is the first repeat of the problem.

Thinking of change the cars colour from silver, anyone know if you can get a yellow lemon peel textured wrap!

Tony

21-08-2012 03:29pm
stef.c

Not sure if this has been resolved but I had the exact same problem. Had been going on for several weeks, and had been told it was 'totally normal' to get the 3 minute warning when playing the radio when the engine was off until the battery eventually died and it became an obvious issue.

Had LA turn up check alternator etc. They ended up taking it in for a few days testing everything and in the end it came down to a software update on the entertainment system. Apparantly it was draining power from the battery even when not in use so it was obviously causing the battery to run low.

I would enquire about this if your car is still having problems as it seems several people are affected by this issue and it seems like an easy fix. I think they will be aware now that this is the root of the problem.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
31-08-2012 01:24pm
victor@happyvalleyservice.com

(03-07-2012 01:10pm)Tony Wrote:  Drove the wife into the village for an appointment this morning, about a 10 mile journey. Parked switched off and while wife gets out I turn the radio on - centre display comes up with message 'Warning Low Battery' 'Start engine or turn off entertainment system within 3 minutes'

Same message after the return journey! even an old series LR would have put enough back in the battery after two 10 mile runs.

Message also comes up on the screen when the car has just been started, car is garaged, always locked, nothing left switched on and my minimum journey is at least 10 miles as we live in the sticks.

Dealer says they don't know what they can do, would have thought checking the battery, checking the alternater is charging and checking the black box for any recorded faults would be a good start - or am I just using common sense!

It's booked in for next week so thats another 250 mile round trip, so far with just over 3200 miles on the clock a 1000 of those will be to and from the dealer with faults.

Anyone else had this problem so I have a bit of ammunition before it goes in?

I am now really thinking I have wasted £46k on this piece of cr@p!

Tony

Yes we are having the same problem, we have shipped our car to Oahu from Maui and had the battery changed, as well as the computer re-programmed and still the same issue with the battery light.

In addition we are having trouble with the car accelerating when I start off from a complete stop.

Now they want to ship the car off again to Oahu and at my expense!! Second time now, no loaner either.

What has been done for you?

Mahalo
21-07-2014 09:31pm