Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'
Tony

Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'

Drove the wife into the village for an appointment this morning, about a 10 mile journey. Parked switched off and while wife gets out I turn the radio on - centre display comes up with message 'Warning Low Battery' 'Start engine or turn off entertainment system within 3 minutes'

Same message after the return journey! even an old series LR would have put enough back in the battery after two 10 mile runs.

Message also comes up on the screen when the car has just been started, car is garaged, always locked, nothing left switched on and my minimum journey is at least 10 miles as we live in the sticks.

Dealer says they don't know what they can do, would have thought checking the battery, checking the alternater is charging and checking the black box for any recorded faults would be a good start - or am I just using common sense!

It's booked in for next week so thats another 250 mile round trip, so far with just over 3200 miles on the clock a 1000 of those will be to and from the dealer with faults.

Anyone else had this problem so I have a bit of ammunition before it goes in?

I am now really thinking I have wasted £46k on this piece of cr@p!

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 05:45pm by Tony.)
03-07-2012 01:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'

I think this is a fairly common warning, I have had it several times when using the radio / TV without the ignition running. I don't think it is a battery fault I think it is a self check problem. It is well known that the Meridian system is a huge power drawer on the battery with it's sophisticated amps which is why you only get 10 minutes of listening before it shuts off. I also doubt that a 10mile run is enough to replace the lost charge, remember the alternator is a "smart" one that regulates how much load it puts on the engine for the sake of fuel economy/ emissions. Sorry I cannot give any ore help than that, but I'm sure that somebody will come along who has the answer. Have you tried contacting Nik at LR customer services about the problem?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-07-2012 01:26pm
Tony

(03-07-2012 01:26pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I think this is a fairly common warning, I have had it several times when using the radio / TV without the ignition running. I don't think it is a battery fault I think it is a self check problem. It is well known that the Meridian system is a huge power drawer on the battery with it's sophisticated amps which is why you only get 10 minutes of listening before it shuts off. I also doubt that a 10mile run is enough to replace the lost charge, remember the alternator is a "smart" one that regulates how much load it puts on the engine for the sake of fuel economy/ emissions. Sorry I cannot give any ore help than that, but I'm sure that somebody will come along who has the answer. Have you tried contacting Nik at LR customer services about the problem?

Thanks Tim, radio had not been used on the journey, only switched on when I parked up and the warning came up instantly. Had the 10 minute warning when we first had the car and were spending a lot of time exploring all the features and gadgets. Not had the 3 minute warning until today and its still displaying, begining to think my alternator is probably not that 'smart'.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
03-07-2012 01:55pm
tyke2

I had a problem with total loss of power.
The sensor that regulates the alternator to save fuel economy was faulty and not allowing enough charge to the battery.
Fixed under warranty

Tyke

Vw Campervan Hire - http://www.happydayscampers.co.uk
03-07-2012 02:01pm
slee18

umm could it be that its telling you a low battery on the remote? My Lexus did that when the battery go too low and needed to be replaced.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
03-07-2012 09:33pm
ytshome

(03-07-2012 01:10pm)Tony Wrote:  Drove the wife into the village for an appointment this morning, about a 10 mile journey. Parked switched off and while wife gets out I turn the radio on - centre display comes up with message 'Warning Low Battery' 'Start engine or turn off entertainment system within 3 minutes'

Same message after the return journey! even an old series LR would have put enough back in the battery after two 10 mile runs.

Message also comes up on the screen when the car has just been started, car is garaged, always locked, nothing left switched on and my minimum journey is at least 10 miles as we live in the sticks.

Dealer says they don't know what they can do, would have thought checking the battery, checking the alternater is charging and checking the black box for any recorded faults would be a good start - or am I just using common sense!

It's booked in for next week so thats another 250 mile round trip, so far with just over 3200 miles on the clock a 1000 of those will be to and from the dealer with faults.

Tony

Hi Tony. It's the alternator, which is not charging sufficiently. Exactly the same happened to me and my local Stratstone dealer were really good at identifying and getting the part in on a special Order which meant in total it was a two day job. They loaned me a Sport, so everything worked out well. They even picked my car up from home ( 30 miles away) Regards YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 11:03pm by ytshome.)
03-07-2012 11:02pm
WB
WB

Mine has been doing this - even after a long run it says battery low if I turn the radio on while the engine is off. Another issue to sort out when it goes in to the dealer...
03-07-2012 11:23pm
Tony

(03-07-2012 11:02pm)ytshome Wrote:  Hi Tony. It's the alternator, which is not charging sufficiently. Exactly the same happened to me and my local Stratstone dealer were really good at identifying and getting the part in on a special Order which meant in total it was a two day job. They loaned me a Sport, so everything worked out well. They even picked my car up from home ( 30 miles away) Regards YT

Thanks YT,

I will give the Service Manager a call and ask if they have the parts in stock should that be the problem before I go over next week, otherwise if I have to make two trips I will be making a mileage claim against LR (500 miles).

A Sport or FFRR with a tank of fuel for a few days would be a nice compensation though. Somehow I cannot see that happening as last time it was in a got a basic Ford Fester!

Tony

04-07-2012 07:59am
ytshome

Tony, they did try to give me a merc at first but I told them that I'd prefer something from the Range Rover family and I have to say they were as good as gold from there on. Just remind them that you are a valuable asset and by loaning you FFRR that you may be persuaded in time to change. Good luck with the fix.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
05-07-2012 11:02pm
PMathers

(03-07-2012 01:10pm)Tony Wrote:  Drove the wife into the village for an appointment this morning, about a 10 mile journey. Parked switched off and while wife gets out I turn the radio on - centre display comes up with message 'Warning Low Battery' 'Start engine or turn off entertainment system within 3 minutes'

Tony

Just had to call road side assistance with the same problem - message keeps coming up battery low you have 3mins before audio goes down. Been travelling long distances so battery should be well charged. Road side assistance as good as gold - said it was the battery that was not holding its charge and put in a brand new battery. Seems fine so far so we will see! New Evoque just had it in January 2012 SD4.
Just called roadside assistance with the same problem. Had long journeys so battery should be well charged. Roadside as good as gold - said the battery was faultily - not holding its charge. Replaced the battery and now all looks good - but will see how it goes. Prestige SD4 new Jan 2012.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 05:31pm by PMathers.)
08-07-2012 05:29pm