Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'
Tony

RE: Yet more problems 'WARNING LOW BATTERY'

(21-07-2014 09:31pm)victor@happyvalleyservice.com Wrote:  Yes we are having the same problem, we have shipped our car to Oahu from Maui and had the battery changed, as well as the computer re-programmed and still the same issue with the battery light.

In addition we are having trouble with the car accelerating when I start off from a complete stop.

Now they want to ship the car off again to Oahu and at my expense!! Second time now, no loaner either.

What has been done for you?

Mahalo
I sold the car!

Now I regret getting another LR on assurance all issues had been resolved, no battery issues but its full of rattles absolutely appaling build quality. Three more days appraisal then it will be rejected to LR for a full refund.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 10:29pm by Tony.)
21-07-2014 10:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
victor@happyvalleyservice.com

(21-07-2014 10:11pm)Tony Wrote:  I sold the car!

Now I regret getting another LR on assurance all issues had been resolved, no battery issues but its full of rattles absolutely appaling build quality. Three more days appraisal then it will rejected to LR for a full refund.

We are trying to get them to give us our money back now and getting no where fast, I do love the car but refuse to let them get away with this.
21-07-2014 10:26pm
derekredwards

Hi all I am having the same problems the problem only started after it was serviced in March I had a low battery message three days after. I went on a 50 mile round trip it was fine for two days and the message reappeared . I booked the car in to get this sorted when I picked it up I was told the charging regime had been changed and they have sorted it, however it’s made no difference and unless I use the car every day the message will reappear after about 3 to 4 days. I have since bought a Cetek charger I’ve been putting it on as soon as the low battery warning comes up and it tells me the battery is at 80% so I don’t think the battery is at fault.

my2017 SE Tech Santorini Black
11-09-2019 09:46am
Bobclive

It`s smart charging causing the problem, under that charging regime the battery will only get charged to 80% under engine power (as you have observed), the other 20% is for any regeneration from any coasting or braking. A simple method to deactivate this system is to unplug the small sensor attached to the negative clamp of the starter battery. The engine management unit needs to know the state of charge in the battery, that sensor provides that information. Without the sensor in play the EMU does not now know the SOC of the battery and reverts to a normal continuous charging regime of between 13.8 and 14.2/4 volts (pre stop/start tech), this continuous regime ensures the battery is now fully charged not 80% as before. If you try this fix you will also loose the stop/start function, for most folks that`s a plus. Try it, if you feel it`s not for you just reconnect sensor and carry on as before.

The sensor on Merc in Vid was disconnected 12 months ago, it still has the original Dec 2011 battery, there are no warning lights on dash but now the stop/start icon always stays yellow (off).

Cig lighter sensor, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-LED-CAR-VA...SwwPtcfmce

https://youtu.be/x9UML_jDKL0
03-12-2019 06:17pm
KrissKross

(03-12-2019 06:17pm)Bobclive Wrote:  It`s smart charging causing the problem, under that charging regime the battery will only get charged to 80% under engine power (as you have observed), the other 20% is for any regeneration from any coasting or braking. A simple method to deactivate this system is to unplug the small sensor attached to the negative clamp of the starter battery. The engine management unit needs to know the state of charge in the battery, that sensor provides that information. Without the sensor in play the EMU does not now know the SOC of the battery and reverts to a normal continuous charging regime of between 13.8 and 14.2/4 volts (pre stop/start tech), this continuous regime ensures the battery is now fully charged not 80% as before. If you try this fix you will also loose the stop/start function, for most folks that`s a plus. Try it, if you feel it`s not for you just reconnect sensor and carry on as before.

This trick doesn't work on mine babyRR.
Obviously, disconnecting mentioned plug disables sending information about battery level to ECU and warning about 'low battery' is not shown, but in return after switching on the engine 'charging fault' message pops out.
30-09-2020 03:05pm
scribley9

Grateful for any other input but this is my scenario, step by step ....

1) Car working perfectly
2) Did a jump start for a friend in need
3) Next day had 'Low Battery' on the dash display
4) Ignored display but connected a charger a couple of times just in case
5) Key Fob failed to be recognized
6) Changed battery in key-fob
7) Low battery indicator no longer shows
Cool Car working perfectly

I suspect but cannot prove that the battery sensor gadget (small black component on a thin wire close to the battery) may have been damaged by the jump-start process.

The car is 2017 and it still has the original battery, it is low mileage but may it be due for replacement anyway. Either way, my cost so far is a few pence for a new CR2032 key fob battery.
10-11-2022 07:19pm