Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the Evoque competing against?
ytshome

RE: What is the Evoque competing against?

A golf match MK6 (whilst we were waiting to change) Jag XF Portfolio and Scirocco R and Golf GTI Mk5.

Considered a Touareg (we like VW) and a MK6 GTI

Looks, size and comfort.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
02-10-2011 02:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PJ

Current car X1 (don't ask why) - A4, A4, A3

considered Q5 (I like audis), X3

Love at first sight!
02-10-2011 03:09pm
bogstomper

1. Audi S5, BMW 535d, Merc SLK
2. Cayenne, RRS, X5, Q5, X6 (open to suggestions for other things I should try - and to be fair I haven't driven a Cayenne)
3. It's the best articulation I can find of a premium SUV that isn't large, with a good balance of driving dynamics and (hopefully!) running costs, good spec and it felt good to drive. I'm aware there's a lot available for people willing to spend this much (esp if you look at the used market), but it does seem to offer a lot. And yes, I know that means there will be a few compromises.
02-10-2011 03:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

1) Range Rover TDv8 3.6ltr Vogue, Range Rover Sport TDv8 HSE, Range Rover Sport TDv6 SE, Range Rover TD6SE
2) Audi A6 allroad (might well have been had the Audi dealer bothered to follow up the inquiries and LR not launched the Evoque when they did!)
3) It fits into my garage, looks fantastic, VED is half of the other RR's, the worse MPG has not so far got down to the very best I ever got in any of my previous Range Rovers

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 06:57pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-10-2011 04:41pm
brakedwell

My son, who is a senior Audi manager in Ingolstadt, advised me not to buy a Q5 because of poor interior space and a dreadful ride. The Q3, on the other hand, is amost as big inside, brilliant to drive and very comfortable. It is not photogenic and looks much, much nicer in the flesh, rather like the A1. BTW he will soon be taking delivery a new 2.0 tsi Q3 for his wife.

Will order a 2i4 Manual Prestige when it becomes available, hopefully with 300bhp.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 06:36pm by brakedwell.)
02-10-2011 06:34pm
mortz

(02-10-2011 06:34pm)brakedwell Wrote:  My son, who is a senior Audi manager in Ingolstadt, advised me not to buy a Q5 because of poor interior space and a dreadful ride. The Q3, on the other hand, is amost as big inside, brilliant to drive and very comfortable. It is not photogenic and looks much, much nicer in the flesh, rather like the A1. BTW he will soon be taking delivery a new 2.0 tsi Q3 for his wife.

Fair play to you...no mention from your above post on the evoque?...best you stick to Audi...sure you will get friends and family discount?

Apologies in advance for my passion for the brand!
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 09:26pm by mortz.)
02-10-2011 09:25pm
brakedwell

(02-10-2011 09:25pm)mortz Wrote:  
(02-10-2011 06:34pm)brakedwell Wrote:  My son, who is a senior Audi manager in Ingolstadt, advised me not to buy a Q5 because of poor interior space and a dreadful ride. The Q3, on the other hand, is amost as big inside, brilliant to drive and very comfortable. It is not photogenic and looks much, much nicer in the flesh, rather like the A1. BTW he will soon be taking delivery a new 2.0 tsi Q3 for his wife.

Fair play to you...no mention from your above post on the evoque?...best you stick to Audi...sure you will get friends and family discount?
Apologies in advance for my passion for the brand!

When I'm in a position to buy an SUV ideally it would be an Evoque Prestige Si4 MANUAL. I went off the gimmicky rising/rotary gear selector in a big way during two years of XF ownership and due to low annual mileages with a lot of short journeys I don't want the hassle of DPF regeneration either. Let's hope LR can offer this spec when the time comes.

Will order a 2i4 Manual Prestige when it becomes available, hopefully with 300bhp.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 10:28pm by brakedwell.)
02-10-2011 10:23pm
Evoqess

What an excellent thread!
Fascinating to once again see the LR loyalists, and the rest of us - lured from some very nice vehicles indeed. I get the feeling most of us are frequent car swappers and like the thrill of the hunt (for the new, the stylish, that "je ne sais quoi" (scuse Aussie accent!).

1. Audi TTS (aka my "dream car"), Audi A3 TDI ("saving money on fuel" phase) and Golf GTI (my "hey why should the boy racers have all the fun" phase!)

2. Honestly, nothing came to mind as a potential competitor. I'd recently been shopping for a compact SUV with a friend and had not been impressed by the soul-less Tiguan, preferred the Subaru Forester actually. I had been to see a Fiat 500, Honda CRZ Hybrid and Nissan Juke because I thought they were interesting, yet - knew any "dalliances" with them would be, ahem, short lived! But the common thread I see is that I like innovative products that have that certain something (yes I have owned Smart Cars).

3. Choosing Evoque for character, lines, winter safety, James May's opinion and ability to take me places away from the crowds. Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
02-10-2011 10:33pm
Gthornton

1. Moving from Merc C63 AMG estate.
Previous:
RRS TDV8
Ferrari 360
Porsche Boxster

2. Not much out there that got me interested really, considered a 4.4TDV8 but still v.expensive or a Cayanne diesel but the spec choices are endless and they all lacked something I wanted. 911 was a possibility as practical and I really want one at some point but pdk is a must and cost is still high.

3. I wanted a car with space for dog bikes etc, 4x4, and as not going fast some economy as I hate using loads of fuel for just normal driving. It seems like the Evoque does it all.....

Arrived: 4WD SD4 Auto, Prestige, LUX Buckingham Blue w/everything apart from rear screens.
Current/ For Sale: C63 AMG Estate.
Gone: RRS TDV8, F360, Boxster S x3, F328GTS, Caterham etc...
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 12:14am by Gthornton.)
03-10-2011 12:13am
RacingSnake

Interesting comparisons here..

1. Shogun Pinin (current), Ferrari 348, Defender
2. Kia Sportage, Nissan Juke, Ford Kuga
3. Looks, luxury feel, performance (relative to the alternative options I looked at).
03-10-2011 09:32am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply