Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mis-fuelled my Diesel
Donny Dog

RE: Mis-fuelled my Diesel

(16-05-2012 09:01pm)Jules2012 Wrote:  I just came across this as I thought I may have been the first person to do this to an Evoque as I did this exact thing today. I am so cross with myself. My car is only 2 months old and the repair bill is going to be around 4.5k. Luckily my insurance covers most of it but I have to pay 1k, the most expensive mistake I have made. It is unbelievable how common it is.

Bad luck, but you are lucky that your insurance covered you I suppose.

How did the diesel nozzle by-pass the mis-fuelling device, as a matter of interest?
16-05-2012 09:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jules2012

(16-05-2012 09:04pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Bad luck, but you are lucky that your insurance covered you I suppose.

How did the diesel nozzle by-pass the mis-fuelling device, as a matter of interest?

No idea, didn't even notice, I filled it up as normal, it wasn't until I drove it and it chugged to a stop that I realised. Sad
16-05-2012 09:49pm
Donny Dog

(16-05-2012 09:49pm)Jules2012 Wrote:  No idea, didn't even notice, I filled it up as normal, it wasn't until I drove it and it chugged to a stop that I realised. Sad

Maybe you didn't push the nozzle in far enough to activate the device (although it isn't all that far down the filler pipe).
16-05-2012 11:25pm
Jules2012

(16-05-2012 11:25pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Maybe you didn't push the nozzle in far enough to activate the device (although it isn't all that far down the filler pipe).

I had the nozzle in the whole way as far as I was aware. It definitely isn't a foolproof safeguard. : (
17-05-2012 03:24pm
Donny Dog

(17-05-2012 03:24pm)Jules2012 Wrote:  I had the nozzle in the whole way as far as I was aware. It definitely isn't a foolproof safeguard. : (

I don't want to put a petrol nozzle in just to try it, but it appears that the smaller diameter allows it to pass through a hole (which is too small for a diesel nozzle) within which a small trigger is supposed to be activated, causing a flap to close before the nozzle gets any further. However, one weakness might be that, if you put the nozzle in quickly enough, you may be able to 'beat' the flap. That is pure speculation of course, but, from what you say, there clearly is a way of beating it. (If the flap were actually deployed properly as designed, the nozzle couldn't then be pushed in and the fuel would either back up the nozzle and stop the pump, or spew out on to the ground).
17-05-2012 04:29pm
cjfp

http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/f...l-filler/0

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/about.asp

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 04:33pm by cjfp.)
17-05-2012 04:32pm
Mudi1

(17-05-2012 04:32pm)cjfp Wrote:  http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk/f...l-filler/0

http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/about.asp

Thanks cfp, I will order one of these (will check if suitable for evoque first) I think the pink is more shocking, so will probably go for that, I don't want to make this mistake, it is so easy to do when distracted and I appreciate the warning given by other members who have done so.
17-05-2012 10:49pm
THEMACS

(17-05-2012 04:29pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I don't want to put a petrol nozzle in just to try it, but it appears that the smaller diameter allows it to pass through a hole (which is too small for a diesel nozzle) within which a small trigger is supposed to be activated, causing a flap to close before the nozzle gets any further. However, one weakness might be that, if you put the nozzle in quickly enough, you may be able to 'beat' the flap. That is pure speculation of course, but, from what you say, there clearly is a way of beating it. (If the flap were actually deployed properly as designed, the nozzle couldn't then be pushed in and the fuel would either back up the nozzle and stop the pump, or spew out on to the ground).

Our dealer said that someone had done this in a brand new FFRR or RRS and it needed a new engineSad

He said that when they checked the mis-fuelling system they found that it had activated correctly but the owner had rammed the fuel hose in and knackered it, so it is possible to do even if it activates.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
17-05-2012 10:59pm
Mudi1

The misfueling device has to be reset ( re-lifting the flap using the tool in the boot) following each placement of wrong size nozzle.
17-05-2012 11:12pm
caroline11000

Mis-fuelled my Diesel

Oh no jules what an expensive mistake, I hope you get the car sorted soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
18-05-2012 07:51am