Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How hot does the pano roof glass get?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

How hot does the pano roof glass get?

This morning we have had pavement splitting sunshine here and 22c, a couple of minutes ago it started to rain and the glass roof started to steam .............. that's pretty warm!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 02:06pm by XFullFatTim.)
05-06-2013 02:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: How hot does the pano roof glass get?

I'd hazard a guess in direct sunlight at 22degC, it would reach around 36degC, maybe add some for the fact it blocks UV to keep the cabin cool if no breeze to cool, totally gut feel based on tarmac temperatures in sunlight, you probably have rain at quite cool temps so could be a 30+deg difference, I might point my IR temp reader on it out of interest...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
05-06-2013 02:46pm
XFullFatTim

It doesn't seem to do it any harm as the car lives on the drive and so far no issues

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-06-2013 03:26pm
srycroft

(05-06-2013 03:26pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It doesn't seem to do it any harm as the car lives on the drive and so far no issues

Well mine's been living on the drive here in the Sunny Algarve for 16 months and it's still in mint condition Smile

Due Feb 28th: 5 Dr Fuji White Prestige TD4, Spirit interior, Panoramic roof
05-06-2013 04:02pm
brianthedog

(05-06-2013 02:46pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I'd hazard a guess in direct sunlight at 22degC, it would reach around 36degC, maybe add some for the fact it blocks UV to keep the cabin cool if no breeze to cool, totally gut feel based on tarmac temperatures in sunlight, you probably have rain at quite cool temps so could be a 30+deg difference, I might point my IR temp reader on it out of interest...

When it has been hot here and the car has been left parked I have been closing the blind on the pano roof in an attempt to keep the cabin cooler. It didn't keep it cool but I am still wondering whether (like closing the house curtains on a sunny day) does it's minimal insulation actually make a minimal difference or not?

Mythbusters did a black car / white car cabin temp in a heatwave feature, the white car was (literally) cooler.http://mythbustersresults.com/episode38

Can the IR temp reader come up with some numbers for the blind-or-no-blind cabin temp please.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
06-06-2013 01:16am
Crimdog

Can I just say 22degC is not hot!! Hahah
06-06-2013 04:19am
XFullFatTim

It is for Scotland, we still have snow on the higher mountains!

06-06-2013 05:32am
Madam Fuji

And none of those biting creatures in the dunnie- LOL!!
06-06-2013 08:00am
Tony

Our outside thermometer is currently reading 24.7 deg C and that is on the Isle of Skye, there is still snow on the Cullins though.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
06-06-2013 09:25am
PhilSkill

It's the fact that the rain will be quite cool coming from a high altitude and hitting the hot glass, Evoques in Dubai probably get 50+deg glass temperature but any rain will likely be quite warm too, but just like throwing boiling water on a frozen screen, throwing frozen water on a hot screen could shock the glass!

I generally try to close the blind on hot days (when I remember) more to stop the suns bleaching effect (even if Solar Attenuating) on the materials inside.

Will have a go with the Temp sensor this weekend (if it stays sunny!!!)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-06-2013 01:59pm