Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electronic Parking Brake
Donny Dog

RE: Electronic Parking Brake

(27-11-2011 05:30pm)Straydox Wrote:  Does the Hill Hold function work in reverse too?

Yes, it does. All it actually does is hold the foot brake for a few seconds to allow you to move off. (If that time elapses and you still haven't got going, a quick press of the foot brake will re-engage it to give you another 'go').
12-04-2012 08:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Land Rover Techy

(27-11-2011 05:00am)Xvoyag Wrote:  On activation/deactivation of the EPB, is this noise normal?

This video is for a Range Rover Sport,

Evoque has a totally different Park brake System and therefore on Evoque the noise is much less.

The noise in the video is right for Sport And Discovery

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
14-04-2012 10:50am
doug

Can I just say that the sound in that video is not that loud in real life. I take it the mic was right next to the wheel, to show customers that this noise is normal.
My Discovery did make that noise, but not as loud as that. Sounds like there using a air gun to remove the wheel bolts Laughing

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
14-04-2012 11:22am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My RRSs and FFRR sounded just like that but not as noisy, RRE still does a similar sound but you don't notice it in the automatic as often you still have the engine running when you select P. Not sure how the RRE EPB work but D3,D4,RRS and FFRR use a small electric winch to spool in the operating wire

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-04-2012 02:14pm
Land Rover Techy

(14-04-2012 02:14pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  My RRSs and FFRR sounded just like that but not as noisy, RRE still does a similar sound but you don't notice it in the automatic as often you still have the engine running when you select P. Not sure how the RRE EPB work but D3,D4,RRS and FFRR use a small electric winch to spool in the operating wire

Hi
The EPB (electronic parking brake) is an electrically actuated system that operates the calipers on the rear brakes. The system consists of:

An EPB switch.
Two EPB actuators.
A clutch position sensor (manual transmission vehicles only).
An EPB module.
Two warning indicators.

The EPB is controlled by the EPB module, which uses the EPB actuators to apply and release the rear disc brakes. Operation of the EPB is initiated by the EPB switch and software within the EPB module.

14-04-2012 07:49pm
PhilSkill

Hi LRTechy, I'm interested, where are the actuators situated? on the calipers, close by in the wheel well or in-board somewhere? do they actuate on the caliper directly like a spool clamping the pads, or do they actuate the hydraulic fluid or a cable to activate the caliper?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-04-2012 11:21pm
Land Rover Techy

(14-04-2012 11:21pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Hi LRTechy, I'm interested, where are the actuators situated? on the calipers, close by in the wheel well or in-board somewhere? do they actuate on the caliper directly like a spool clamping the pads, or do they actuate the hydraulic fluid or a cable to activate the caliper?

Hi
The actuators are on the back of the caliper. If you was too bend down and look into the rear wheels you will see the electrical connector for these.

The EPB actuators are electro mechanical positioning units attached to the calipers of the rear brakes. Each actuator incorporates a reversible electric motor driving an output shaft via a drive belt and planetary gear cluster.

The output shaft of the EPB actuator is engaged in the splined end of a spindle, which is inside the caliper piston and screwed into a thrust nut. Operation of the electric motor turns the spindle and produces linear movement of the thrust nut, to apply a target clamp load to the brake pads.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-04-2012 10:19am
PhilSkill

Ace, thanks! Looks a relatively easy part to replace too!

Calipers particularly the rears are often prone to corrosion so good to know for the future!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-04-2012 08:30pm
speary

The hill hold on my car only seems to work if the hill is above a certain gradient, ie on slight slopes the car rolls back if i release the foot brake. Is this correct ?

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
17-04-2012 01:13pm
Donny Dog

(17-04-2012 01:13pm)speary Wrote:  The hill hold on my car only seems to work if the hill is above a certain gradient, ie on slight slopes the car rolls back if i release the foot brake. Is this correct ?

I don't know how slight the slope is that you refer to. but mine works all the time on any slope that I would notice it.
17-04-2012 01:26pm