Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery Management System software upgrade
Donny Dog

RE: Battery Management System software upgrade

(15-03-2013 04:18pm)WB Wrote:  Sounds like one explanation but it doesn't explain the many of us who have never jump started/used battery conditioners at all and still needed batteries replace.d due to the 3 min warning.

It's quite clear that there is a software issue and that the battery charges properly onlyafter the 'smart charger' has had the software upgrade (so charging is at 13.8 v not 12.4 v). Incorrect connection of jump/boost/trickle charging may be a way of damaging this unit, but it clearly isn't the only problem.

Incidentally, when I was in the Stratstone showroom in Doncaster a man was systematically charging all the Evoques on display with a heavy duty battery on wheels, giving each a few minutes of 'boost', informing me that they were flat every day because customers kept opening doors, adjusting seats, etc. He was doing this directly across the battery terminals with crocodile clips - so maybe they should reconsider this practice! (These cars would obviously sold to customers in due course).
15-03-2013 04:38pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mine appears to now have had two BMS TSB upgrades. On the 8th it was carted off to the local dealer where Liam advises me they carried out the second TSB and re-enabled the rear socket for me. As I'm toasting myself in Sri Lanka ( at 0900 its only 28c) at the moment I haven't had a chance to drive the car since the upgrade was carried out. Hopefully tomorrow I will find out if I have a car with a dead battery or one that just tells me I can listen to the radio for 3 minutes before it has a dead battery! We live in hope!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 04:51am by XFullFatTim.)
16-03-2013 04:50am
JiiPee

I had to leave my Evoque standing for 7 straight weeks last summer. I was expecting trouble with battery but NOTHING! The car started as any other morning before that.

I didn't have the battery management software update done at the time. They did it during the first service.

Enjoying enormously: Pure Td4 Automatic, Firenze Red, almond/espresso interior, panorama roof with rails, Pure tech pack, clearview pack & cold weather pack, parking radars front and back + camera.
18-03-2013 10:01am
benzina

(18-03-2013 10:01am)JiiPee Wrote:  I had to leave my Evoque standing for 7 straight weeks last summer. I was expecting trouble with battery but NOTHING! The car started as any other morning before that.

I didn't have the battery management software update done at the time. They did it during the first service.

My Evoques one year old, had not had any software upgrades,and NOT had any battery issues so far (touch wood).
I'll be leaving my Evoque standing for 7 straight weeks soon, so i'm going to experiment and see if it can also last out the battery distance like yours did.

I'm paranoid about having a trickle charger connected in case something goes wrong, but i was wondering if anyone has just simply disconnected the battery negative terminal, and can detail what to expect, and the things that will need resetting on return? Thanks in advance.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 06:18am by benzina.)
25-03-2013 06:16am
XFullFatTim

Your alarm system won't work and you will need to use the emergency key to get into the car. When you reconnect
the battery you will need to get the car to a dealership to reset the battery monitoring system too. I am now hoping that my car is over it's battery problems, I wish that it had been left well alone at the 1st service as I suspect that that BMS upgrade was the cause of the problem - possibly a case of LR trying to fix a problem that didn't exist on the earliest cars? I now have a TPMS system that is convinced that I have a spare wheel in the boot though and I have checked to make sure that the repairing dealership didn't slip a spare without a TPMS sensor in the boot and there definitely isn't one!
The other things you will loose are the clock and anything stored in the memories of the in dash computer. Satnav, if fitted, may need a up to 15 minutes to find out where it is and the internal clock will need to download it's almanac of the satellites, but that all happens without you having to do anything.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 09:23am by XFullFatTim.)
25-03-2013 09:15am
benzina

Ah, o.k thanks Tim.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
25-03-2013 09:20am
Andy915

(16-03-2013 04:50am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mine appears to now have had two BMS TSB upgrades. On the 8th it was carted off to the local dealer where Liam advises me they carried out the second TSB and re-enabled the rear socket for me. As I'm toasting myself in Sri Lanka ( at 0900 its only 28c) at the moment I haven't had a chance to drive the car since the upgrade was carried out. Hopefully tomorrow I will find out if I have a car with a dead battery or one that just tells me I can listen to the radio for 3 minutes before it has a dead battery! We live in hope!

Hi Tim,

Did you ever confirm that your rear socket was re-enabled?

Like you, I want to be able to use my solar charger when leaving the car at the airport. I'm planning to ask the dealer to modify the rear socket, but it would be nice to know that it can definitely be done - just in case there's much shaking of heads at the suggestion...

2014MY Dynamic Si4 Coupe / Lux / Indus silver / Vortex int. / Spare wheel /
26-09-2013 01:43am
XFullFatTim

Since the BMS update last March I was asked to not use the solar trickle charger to see what happened - I can report that (in the summer at least) the car went for 6 weeks without being started and on start up fired first press of the button. The big test will be this winter when the temperature drops low for many days at a time and that hilts the battery - by which time I will a different car without the rear socket enabled.

26-09-2013 08:59am
tintin_57

Hi

Seems our Evoque is having some battery issues now also and is sat on the drive at home and won't start at all.

In this case do we call the Land Rover assistance number or the dealer? I'm slightly confused which. Thanks.
08-10-2013 04:08pm
cjfp

(08-10-2013 04:08pm)tintin_57 Wrote:  Hi

Seems our Evoque is having some battery issues now also and is sat on the drive at home and won't start at all.

In this case do we call the Land Rover assistance number or the dealer? I'm slightly confused which. Thanks.

Go for LRA, they'll come out to you (and you can arrange a time to suit you) , sort transfer to dealer if reqd, sort replacement car if reqd etc etc

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
08-10-2013 04:46pm