Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why should I buy another?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Why should I buy another?

Ha, I've been doing the same recently while I wait to see if Land Rover is going to push my order back even further. I haven't had any demos in a 9 Speed Evoque but have driven an SQ5 and I found the power delivery amazing BUT I didn't enjoy driving the car, it was soulless and dull and as one of you says the switch layout is a disaster................ and the fact that you have the most expensive and powerful Q5 is shouted out by what............ a badge on the back. It wasn't special enough I'm afraid. Evoques might be 20 to the dozen but everybody notices them, I felt invisible in the SQ5 - stealth for the wrong reason! I have also driven a BMW 3 series Touring with the X drive and apart from rock hard suspension I quite liked it apart from the car I drove had the most wooden and awful manual gearbox I have driven in a long time - even my 83000 miler Defender's was firmer and more pleasant to use. Another car I tested was the Mini Countryman All4 - it needs an awful lot of options on it to bring it up to Evoque spec and then the price is frightening - again I couldn't test drive an automatic but was generally impressed and it has one advantage over all the others including the Evoque - I can actually get it into my garage!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 08:45pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-03-2014 08:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BA74

I'm in the same quandary. I love my Evoque put want more power. Always planned on updating to another but was hoping for an RS or similar. Seriously considering a Macan. Don't think I can wait for a Jaguar C-X17!

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
09-03-2014 09:16pm
is1983

(09-03-2014 06:38pm)12redrover Wrote:  ...Also, there is no paddle shifting in the "D" position! You have to be in "S" mode, to use paddle shifters...

I found when reading through the 2014MY manual that the option for paddle shifting on the 2014MY in D can be enabled/disabled in the setup menu.

I think it's a good idea as I've knocked the paddles accidentally on a couple of occasions whilst in D, when in S I always use CommandShift
09-03-2014 10:31pm
HeartbreakRidge

(09-03-2014 06:38pm)12redrover Wrote:  Also, there is no paddle shifting in the "D" position! You have to be in "S" mode, to use paddle shifters.

Though in general I'd have to say my test drive was much more pleasant than your experience, on this specific point I know it's not exactly correct. There's a menu option to allow paddle shifter operation in D or S OR in S only (because I found it poking around the menus during my test drive).

edit: well if I had read to the end of the thread I might not have chimed in! Oh well.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 11:09pm by HeartbreakRidge.)
09-03-2014 11:06pm
The Valeter

What does the sat nav etc do on the Audi/BMW that it doesn't do on the Evoque?

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
09-03-2014 11:11pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Craig_d1

(09-03-2014 11:11pm)The Valeter Wrote:  What does the sat nav etc do on the Audi/BMW that it doesn't do on the Evoque?

I know on the Audi if you spec it with Audi connect hi, it links in with google and gives you true real time traffic updates. You can also plan your journey on a PC and send the destination to your car so it's all ready for you when you get in. That, and you can overlay the 3d mapping with google maps, so it looks prettier
09-03-2014 11:25pm
mark_n

Sorry, but I find Audis so dull, the corporate me-too looks, that ghastly grille, the oh-so-dreary driving experience. R8 vanity project aside, most Audi road tests mark the cars down for driving enjoyment. I've experienced a Q5, utterly forgettable. It's the automotive equivalent of buying a washing machine. So dull, as I said.

As least Porsche have taken the basics and turned it into something much better but you are stuck with the same basic looks.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
10-03-2014 06:18am
XFullFatTim

So is the message to Land Rover something along the lines of "You build a decent car but it needs more substance and developement to carry off the style so don't just sit back counting the profits make it even better"?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-03-2014 07:56am
PhilSkill

They must be counting the profits, I passed 4 before getting a mile away from my house this morning and saturday lost count in a couple of hundred miles... So they are doing something right, appointments at service centres might start to be a major issue! Most people don't want V6 250+ bhp monsters you can't really use on modern roads they just want something that drives well, is capable, and looks good, the Evoque manages all of those and it sells, and sells really well. But now they need to make something more special as it's becoming too common place and people will want something more/different.

Should you buy another... well do you need another? Do you want another? do you want a change? the choice is yours! Wink

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 03:18pm by PhilSkill.)
10-03-2014 03:17pm
XFullFatTim

I have just had my first test drive of a 2014MY Auto Dynamic - I won't say it is a totally different car to my early Coupe but wow the difference is very noticable.......... not a sqeek, rattle or groan, it appeared to be much quieter engine noise wise and the ride in standard setting was MUCH plusher so it appears that since 2011 the settings of Mageride have been changed. The car still felt roll free but then I didn't get to take it out on twisty country roads. Loved the gearbox, hated the Stop/Start, not because of what it is but because I hate to sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake dazzling the driver behind me with high level brake lights - I would sooner pull up at lights and engage the parking brake. Anyway technically are you "stopped" if you only sit there with your foot on the brake - I think if your foot slipped and the car took off you would be considered not to be driving with due care and attention. All round very impressed that the car felt so much better put together than my last one. Next thing is can Halewood build and deliver my order before I loose interest and swop to an F Type Coupe....... this is the question!

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 05:12pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-03-2014 04:06pm