Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why should I buy another?
HeartbreakRidge

RE: Why should I buy another?

(10-03-2014 04:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Loved the gearbox, hated the Stop/Start, not because of what it is but because I hate to sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake dazzling the driver behind me with high level brake lights - I would sooner pull up at lights and engage the parking brake. (...) Next thing is can Halewood build and deliver my order before I loose interest and swop to an F Type Coupe....... this is the question!

Probably only because it's new to me, but I found Stop/Start so disconcerting, but pleased that it starts up like a snap as soon as I let up on the brake. I also like that there's an easy dash button to disable it.

Well if you switch to an F-Type, that's hard to argue and I'd not mind living vicariously through you for that. Smile

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-03-2014 05:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

(10-03-2014 07:56am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  So is the message to Land Rover something along the lines of "You build a decent car but it needs more substance and developement to carry off the style so don't just sit back counting the profits make it even better"?

Tim, I think that is exactly the message LR should be taking on board. They struck lucky with the design of the Evoque but now risk being left behind by manufacturers with a deeper rooted commitment to quality, more of their own technology (instead of buying it in) and, especially, a better range of engines.

Porsche have an own-designed and manufactured twin turbo V6 made in their own plant in Stuttgart Zuffenhausen. LR have a (reasonably peppy) inline 4 turbo made by Ford (though goodness knows where) and a range of diesels made in Mexico.

Good to hear the newer car impresses - evidence that LR are getting better at this sort of thing.

Edit: As for the F-Type Coupe, I think you'll find it's already seriously back-ordered - it seems to hit the mark where the roadstar, with its hopeless boot, has not.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 06:08pm by mark_n.)
10-03-2014 06:03pm
buckiebabyrr

For me the only thing lacking with the evoque is a wider range of engine sizes but still way better than what Audi offer as I fell you don't get your money's worth with the Q5

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
10-03-2014 11:15pm
PhilSkill

(10-03-2014 04:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  because I hate to sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake dazzling the driver behind me with high level brake lights - I would sooner pull up at lights and engage the parking brake.

Next thing is can Halewood build and deliver my order before I loose interest and swop to an F Type Coupe....... this is the question!

Not sure I understand Tim, with the stop start, surely if you engage parking brake after stopping the engine doesnt restart? Thats how I use it all the time on the manual, obviously its easier as the clutch acts as the trigger.

Would get the F-type if it suited anyday!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-03-2014 11:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

to activate the stop start on the car i was driving today I pulled up at the lights and then put my foot on the footbrake, stop/start cut in and stopped the engine after 15 seconds or so. As soon as i lifted my foot off the footbrake the engine restarted.At no time was a parking brake engaged so all that time I was sat with brakelights on and hi-level brake light on. In my last car I drew up to the lights braked to a stop and engaged the parking brake, no dazzling brake lights showing.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-03-2014 12:17am
buckiebabyrr

The parking brake only comes on when P is selected, I.E if I park in my drive way with the stop/start on select P on the auto box then the engine shuts down and the parking brake enables, it doesn't come on when in D mode as you have the brake on which acts as the stop/start for the engine.

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 12:43am by buckiebabyrr.)
11-03-2014 12:42am
PhilSkill

Can you not activate the Parking brake from the switch on the dash on an Auto while in D and only by selecting P instead, it's right by my gearstick, so I use it often at lights to save being on the brakes all the time.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
11-03-2014 01:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Phil I used the parking brake but it seemed to over-ride the stop/start and the engine kept running in D without my foot on the footbrake. Putting the car into P gives anyone behinid a heart attack as the reversing lights come on as the selector goes through R to get to P ..................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 01:46pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-03-2014 01:44pm
vinny

(10-03-2014 11:15pm)buckiebabyrr Wrote:  For me the only thing lacking with the evoque is a wider range of engine sizes but still way better than what Audi offer as I fell you don't get your money's worth with the Q5

Audi SQ5 is a 3 ltr v6 twin Turbo with 313 PS and over 600 NM of torque its probably a better engine than what's in the new RR sport with better fuel economy than evoque.Don't know the exact dimensions but the SQ5 isn't that much bigger than the evoque so surely a bigger unit could possibly fit?
Regarding value the SQ starts at £44k but decent discounts are available (7-10%) so spec it up with pano roof (which opens) and a better sat nav/info system puts it in the same price bracket as dynamic/prestige.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
11-03-2014 06:15pm
PhilSkill

(11-03-2014 01:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Phil I used the parking brake but it seemed to over-ride the stop/start and the engine kept running in D without my foot on the footbrake. Putting the car into P gives anyone behinid a heart attack as the reversing lights come on as the selector goes through R to get to P ..................

Gone off topic a bit here sorry Vinny, but that seems a little odd functionality there as you really want it to be stopped with the handbrake on as that's when you can save most fuel, as you say you don't really only want ECO active only when the foot-brake is depressed, as if it's a long stop you should put the handbrake on.

Oddly I had one of my very rare incidences this morning where the ECO cut in just as I depressed the clutch to go and then noticed the dash saying "select neutral" while I was left in 1st, clutch up and engine not running, might have also said " and depress clutch", but obviously to get out of first you naturally would depress the clutch first, once I dipped and let the clutch up again it re-started. But takes a moment to realise what's happening as you sit at the front of a Queue at the green traffic lights going nowhere! But it's once a year this happens so not losing sleep over it!

Vinny Sounds like you've bought a Q5 in your head already Wink

But could you live with it... Laughing

11-03-2014 06:58pm