Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Petrol vs diesel.
DynamicRRV

RE: Petrol vs diesel.

(13-04-2011 07:03pm)lrdaft Wrote:  How many freelander 2 petrols do you see?
If they do come on the market no one wants them
I had a 4.4 petrol rr a while back now got a tdv8 they are like chalk and cheese
Diesel so much more relaxed to drive where you really had to rev the petrol

Ahhhh but the Supercharged is a totally different ball game.Very Happy
13-04-2011 07:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lrdaft

I regularly drive a supercharged and enjoy it but you always tend to drive them harder and get poor mpg
Chipped tdv8 is about 1sec slower 0 to 60 but getting there is less dramatic
70 to 90 the tdv8 beats the supercharged
13-04-2011 07:18pm
sco77harris

im a huge speed freak, so for me to choose a diesel should be a sign for anyone going with petrol. Petrol prices are only going one way and in 3 years i dont want to have thrown money away pointlessly, furthermore after driving the heavier freelander i was extremely impressed with the engine, and lastly if i do want more power i will evaluate the risks/potential of chipping but given the test drive in the freelander doubt i will feel the need to .
13-04-2011 11:05pm
Kermit

(13-04-2011 03:46pm)vision*R Wrote:  you're apparently downgrading (performance-wise) from a Type R, I think neither will impress you with their responsiveness.

The torque from the diesel should definitely be noticeable.
(13-04-2011 04:16pm)vinda Wrote:  Will call the dealer about service costs and then evaluate all my optioons on the change

Servicing costs should be comparable to an FL2 that has the same drive-train.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2011 12:41am by Kermit.)
14-04-2011 12:36am
vinda

(13-04-2011 11:05pm)sco77harris Wrote:  im a huge speed freak, so for me to choose a diesel should be a sign for anyone going with petrol. Petrol prices are only going one way and in 3 years i dont want to have thrown money away pointlessly, furthermore after driving the heavier freelander i was extremely impressed with the engine, and lastly if i do want more power i will evaluate the risks/potential of chipping but given the test drive in the freelander doubt i will feel the need to .

Good point. Maybe worthwhile considering chipping[
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2011 12:55pm by vinda.)
15-04-2011 11:27am
vinda

Gone for the 190bhp diesel.

Hope I don't regret it!!
15-04-2011 12:56pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Vinda, you will modify your driving to make full use of all that tidal wave of torque at 2000 rpm, rather than revving the nuts of a petrol engine to find the power way up at 7000 rpm. BTW Range Rover/ Land Rover diesels are all PSA/Ford derived or based on them. LR modifies the design to allow full engine lubrication on 45degree cross slopes and modifies the air intake to allow deep water wading. I'm not sure where the RRE intake is but it's pretty high up as the car has a 50cm wading depth (same as a Defender) so any floods next winter and you will be able to go places where all those sporty little cars cannot go.

Vinda if you can, try to get your dealer to send you on a Land Rover Experience FULL DAY (note FULL day not half day) course in a Freelander2. Whatever F2 can do your RRE will do and it will give you some idea of what the SD4 engine is like on and off the road. You can book yourself onto an LRE day but they are quite expensive (but worth every penny as you get to learn to do things like drive the car with two diagonally opposite wheels off the road[ aka cross axled]))

Here's what one of the FFRR guys got up to earlier this week when he went to his local LRE site and drove the latest FFRR http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic5601.html and http://public.fotki.com/marksheridan/adv...-1404.html
LRE's use their own unmodified cars that are exactly as they left the dealership showroom down the road. The venues are great places but remember they are there to sell the cars and teach you in safety how to use the full potential of the machine, not to scare the living daylights out of you! Your own car will be able to do anything that the LRE guys do in their demo cars

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2011 03:08pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-04-2011 02:53pm
vinda

Thanks FFT for the very informative and comprehensive post. I will enquire with my dealer about that.

I can't wait to get the car. Also have booked myself onto the evoque event in birmingham. Be cool to see these cars up close.

Just waiting for my dealer to email me my updated spec/order form. Called this morning to speak with him and to change from petrol to diesel and still not got an email. Which really doesn't surprise me.
15-04-2011 04:16pm
Kermit

(15-04-2011 02:53pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  Here's what one of the FFRR guys got up to earlier this week when he went to his local LRE site and drove the latest FFRR http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic5601.html and http://public.fotki.com/marksheridan/adv...-1404.html

Tim, I gather an Evoque wouldn't have any issues traversing the same terrain as shown in photos and video.
16-04-2011 03:12am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well they weren't exactly testing the FFRR to it's limits! I know that the LRE's have special tracks for Freelander2 but it's because they don't have the extendable air suspension so don't have the ground clearance that the FFRR has. BTW that FFRR was not at it's highest offroad setting - there is a higher settling that the driver can trigger (but it isn't switchable) and the car will rise another couple of cms if it thinks it is going to bottom out. I'll find a photo of one at super extended height. I would imagine that with care an RRE would be able to handle everything shown on that video and in the photos. Killer for F2 is deep ruts but often there is a way to straddle those!

Here you go - page 3 of this thread http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic4777-30.html has the same car parked at access height and if you scroll down the page a bit there is a photo of it at Super-Extended hieght - even the tallest people have difficulty getting in and out at that height!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2011 09:55am by XFullFatTim.)
16-04-2011 09:51am