babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Petrol vs diesel. - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Petrol vs diesel. (/Thread-Petrol-vs-diesel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Petrol vs diesel. - vinda - 13-04-2011 01:28am

I've opted for the petrol model for added power as I won't be doing a lot of miles per year. But thinking about economy and resale value am now tempted by the diesel.

What's everyones opinions on this

Thanks

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - Kermit - 13-04-2011 01:32am

Diesel is the future, IMO. Unless you are racing (Audi and Peugeot excepted) petrol has no day-to-day advantage, especially in heavy vehicles. Modern diesels are just as smooth and quiet, and offer the advantages of economy and torque.

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - vinda - 13-04-2011 01:36am

(13-04-2011 01:32am)Kermit Wrote:  Diesel is the future, IMO. Unless you are racing (Audi and Peugeot excepted) petrol has no day-to-day advantage, especially in heavy vehicles. Modern diesels are just as smooth and quiet, and offer the advantages of economy and torque.

What about the power difference.

This will be my first Range Rover. Did test drive a freelander with the same diesel engine. Very nice, but do you think the extra power will feel much different

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - Kermit - 13-04-2011 01:46am

Apart from a quicker 0-100 time the extra torque of the diesel will make it an easy vehicle to drive day-to-day.

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - Firebird - 13-04-2011 02:16am

I have ordered the 140Kw diesel. I have spoken to several diesel performance chip companies in the UK and they expect to get 20-30Kw and 80-100NM increase. 160-170Kw with 500Nm of torque the Evoque will fly and without sacrificing economy.

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - Kermit - 13-04-2011 03:02am

(13-04-2011 02:16am)Firebird Wrote:  expect to get 20-30Kw and 80-100NM increase. 160-170Kw with 500Nm of <SNIP> without sacrificing economy.

Wow. I'll be up for that kind of upgrade.

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - LP - 13-04-2011 06:42am

(13-04-2011 03:02am)Kermit Wrote:  
(13-04-2011 02:16am)Firebird Wrote:  expect to get 20-30Kw and 80-100NM increase. 160-170Kw with 500Nm of <SNIP> without sacrificing economy.

Wow. I'll be up for that kind of upgrade.

Won't this invalidate your warranty?

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - vision*R - 13-04-2011 06:44am

I guess it will. But on the other hand, the same engine is used by Jaguar and they're upping the power as well. So technically it would be perfectly possible without causing problems.

Speed is a relative concept, and looking at power or 0-100 numbers only will give you a distorted view. Roughly speaking, power is what gets you from 0 to 30. Torque is what gets you quickly from 60 to 90 or 90 to 120. I think that's much more useful in real life. My current Lexus is a diesel with good torque. I can't keep up with petrol cars at traffic lights, but I'm faster than much bigger petrols on the highway.

Don't you guys have incredibly high taxes and insurances on powerful petrol cars? Reason enough for me to forget about petrols.

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - Firebird - 13-04-2011 08:13am

The chip is a piggy back so it plugs in to the ECU and the cable plugs-in to it. So you can easily remove when you take it in for servicing. Mind you here the dealers were offering to chip the RRS so my guess is that it should not be an issue. Only time it could be a problem was if the engine blew or had a major issue but again all you would need to do is remove the box and no one would be the wiser.

Cheers

RE: Petrol vs diesel. - XFullFatTim - 13-04-2011 10:36am

Firebird, nothing is secret to the dealers computers these days - they security protect parts, they have counter software that counts how many times things get plugged into the ECU/Ports and they write into the ECU logging software that records when the engine operates out-with the maker's parameters. Even the detachable dongle things are logged as something being attached to the ECU so even if you take it off the maker knows that something "foreign" has been added at sometime. Even the so called "invisible" remaps can be very easily detected - the dealer only has to take the car out for a test drive and will notice the difference in performance straight away. Remapped and pluggable chips are a huge issue with car makers as they usually end up having to fix the blown engines as warranty claims.

One of the forum sponsors and an active poster here writes and sells remaps - Pete. He sells his remaps all over the world - and has a very good name and many happy customers over on the RRS and D3 forums. BTW I'm not connected to BAS and don't feel I need to modify my car's engine.

Getting back to topic - for the first time in years I felt that I wanted to have this car with a petrol engine.......................... I don't due a huge annual mileage - about 10000 a year and don't use the car fro business/ work. I'm not intending to sell the car for a few years (I said that last year too!) but I was persuaded that even 4-5 years down the line there will be more people looking for a diesel engined car than a petrol engined one so the car will be easier to sell on. recently, here in the UK, some town dwellers have been threatened with higher parking charges for owning diesels because even with DPF's they still emit more particulate than a gasoline engine.