Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Petrol vs diesel.
paulus599

RE: Petrol vs diesel.

I will be ordering the SD4, there is one thing that is bothering me though, i.e. The car will only be used on high days and holidays and the occasional run out. This means that (if current car is anything to go by) we will probably only do around 3k to 4k a year.

What's bothering me about that is that I have seen a lot of reports recently about the particulate filters clogging up, especially on low mileage cars. It's a very expensive problem to fix, in the thousands rather than hundreds and I'm sure it will be an exclusion in the warranty. Are these stories correct, or are they just urban myths?
13-04-2011 11:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There were lots of DFP problems on RRS/D4's last year. Only doing small annual miles shouldn't be a problem so long as when you do use the car you give it a good hard blast. The cars with problems have been those that crawl through town in rush hour traffic at low speed/ revs. IIRC every so often the way to clean the DPF is to run the engine at 3000rpm+ for 5 miles, but it is in the owners manual.
My FFRR is the first car I have owned with them (being a V8 it has 2 DPFs) - I had a problem where every 4000 miles or so I get a lack of power for about 20 secs, the revs go right up and then suddenly all comes good, so I assume that is the DPF's self cleaning

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-04-2011 12:03pm
vinda

hhmm.

i am cosidering phoning the dealer and changing my order to the 190bhp diesel

do you think resale values would be higher for the diesel models in 3 years time
13-04-2011 03:20pm
XFullFatTim

In 3 years time I bet that it won't matter as there will still be huge demand for any Evoque on the used market, just look after it well and keep the miles down on it! Just been reading the new Auto-Express and by god the Q3 is an ugly car.................. it looks like an A1 on steroids

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-04-2011 03:30pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-04-2011 03:28pm
vinda

i see, do you think its a good call to opt for the diesel engine instead of the petrol. will the diesel be as responsive as the petrol
oh and what about servicing costs. petrol vs diesel
(This post was last modified: 13-04-2011 03:39pm by vinda.)
13-04-2011 03:33pm
vision*R

Remember nobody has driven the car yet... Will the diesel be as responsive as petrol? Probably not. Will the difference be big? Probably not.
Considering the fact that you're apparently downgrading (performance-wise) from a Type R, I think neither will impress you with their responsiveness.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
13-04-2011 03:46pm
XFullFatTim

The petrol engine is the one out of the new Focus ST IIRC but it will be tuned to suit LR's offroad requirements. It is reported to be a little smoother and quieter than the SD but remember this is primarily an SUV with better than the class average performance offroad, it is not a street racer. It also has a fairly heavy body to lug around and 2 extra wheels to drive. Also the whole ethos of a Range Rover is not to get there as fast as possible but to make the journey in the most comfortable way, isolated from whatever the weather/ elements/ road surface and terrain can throw at you. If you read the RRS and FFRR forums you will see that many people who have owned fast BMW's, Audi's and Mercs and move over to a Range Rover often post that they find that they have a much more laid back attitude to journeys when they buy a Range Rover and many say that they wished they had bought an RR sooner. Changing from a type R then you should be looking at a used Range Rover Sport Supercharged or 3.6 TDv8, but if you want to be really shocked that something so big can move so quickly then a 5.0ltr FFRR S/C - and the thing is they do it in such a way that you don't even feel the potholes on their airsuspension unlike your Type R which will have rock hard suspension.

13-04-2011 04:00pm
vinda

Yeah. Both the rx8 and type r are very sporty. Ride pretty stiff. Was hoping the evoque would give us a more comfortable journey without compromising on the look of the car.

I drive the freelander diesel engine and thought it was very nice. Considering the evoque is lighter I reckon I will be fine with it but opted for the petrol, the added bhp tempted me.

Will call the dealer about service costs and then evaluate all my optioons on the change

Cheers on the info guys, very helpful

Will keep you posted on my decision
13-04-2011 04:16pm
lrdaft

How many freelander 2 petrols do you see?
If they do come on the market no one wants them
I had a 4.4 petrol rr a while back now got a tdv8 they are like chalk and cheese
Diesel so much more relaxed to drive where you really had to rev the petrol
13-04-2011 07:03pm
Wicksy

(13-04-2011 04:16pm)vinda Wrote:  Yeah. Both the rx8 and type r are very sporty. Ride pretty stiff. Was hoping the evoque would give us a more comfortable journey without compromising on the look of the car.

I drive the freelander diesel engine and thought it was very nice. Considering the evoque is lighter I reckon I will be fine with it but opted for the petrol, the added bhp tempted me.

Will call the dealer about service costs and then evaluate all my optioons on the change

Cheers on the info guys, very helpful

Will keep you posted on my decision

I'm recently out of a Type R Championship White and now drive a Lexus RX 400h - as much as I enjoyed the Civic I would never go back to a saloon - SUV everytime for meSmile
13-04-2011 07:10pm