Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Porsche Macan
Evo-king

RE: New Porsche Macan

XFullFatTim.

I could not have put it better myself.

I've looked at a few videos out there on the Macan.

I don't like it, but, it does have a very good interior, and may boast better engines, at least in V6 guise and will sell well, it is also a SUV that is bigger than the Evoque, which makes comparisons difficult.

So in reality it is down to the buying public to decide.

The Evoque may lose some sales, but they may have been lost anyhow based on size.

My one regret about the Evoque is it's lacking a bigger diesel, LR may remedy that but it may take time.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
03-03-2014 10:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jinzen

The Macan is bigger than the Evoque? Probably negligibly.

The Macan is definitely a better car, but it's also stylistically worse.
04-03-2014 02:03am
HeartbreakRidge

(04-03-2014 02:03am)Jinzen Wrote:  The Macan is bigger than the Evoque? Probably negligibly.

About 11 inches longer, but very close on width and height.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
04-03-2014 04:39am
timhum

I reckon we have to accept the Macan is an exceptional car; ignoring personal preferences on things like design. The Evoque is also exceptional so perhaps it is a draw in the match between them. A great positive with the introduction of the Macan is that it should keep LR on their toes.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
04-03-2014 10:33am
SiT

I’ve been interested in the Macan and find it an interesting alternative to my Evoque and will consider it when the time comes to replace it. I read recently, possibly in an Autocar article that, Porsche plan to release 4 cylinder versions of both Diesel and Petrol variants… maybe this is to compete more with JLR in-particular the Evoque. However maybe like others I would have liked to see a 6 cylinder variant of the Evoque. The other area which sways my thinking of not buying another Evoque is the boot space; which has come up short on a fair few occasions and in reality had I done my homework more i would have gone for something slightly larger.

Strangely though i always thought a 4 cylinder engine in a vehicle like the Evoque would have been too powerless and too unrefined, but in automatic format hasn’t been bad at all and I like it. Maybe a Macan with a 4 cylinder and the increased, albeit not a great deal more space will attract and steal buyers from JLR.
04-03-2014 11:48pm
12redrover

(20-11-2013 01:11pm)sco77harris Wrote:  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-20...emand.html

Pricing seems extremely steep, even in comparison to the Evoque.

If LR can produce an RS version for less they could compete with the higher power porsches easily.

Yes, wish they would put the 365hp eco in the Evoque.
05-03-2014 04:45am
mark_n

(05-03-2014 04:45am)12redrover Wrote:  Yes, wish they would put the 365hp eco in the Evoque.

The real problem is that the short Evoque design makes for a tight engine bay; no possibility of a V6 and the best they can do is wring the 4 cylinder's neck. The 4 cylinder Macan's will be a fairer comparison but it's possible they may never see the light of day if Porsche can continue, like LR, to sell everything they can make.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
05-03-2014 09:41am
MarkA_

New Porsche Macan

I would put money on the fact that they are reserving any 6cyl engines for the upcoming jag SUV.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
06-03-2014 03:40pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

JLR have plenty of choice of V6 diesel and petrol engines as they already fit them to RRS, FFRR, Disco4, Jag XF, Jag F Type, Jag XJ and doubtless the new XE will get them too. There are versions of V6 petrol engines that we have never seen in UK/European spec cars as they go into USA and Asia spec cars. The problem for Evoque as often stated is there is no room under the bonnet for anything other than the current engines. It was rumoured that LR ran a test mule in 2011 with a V6 petrol engine but it seems to have gone into the elephants graveyard of test mules - the big Land Rover crusher. It will be interesting to see how much re-engineering JLR has to do to get the new Hotfire engines under the bonnet of an Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 03:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-03-2014 03:47pm
gw76

Will be an Evoque owner for another 10 months after I put my deposit on a Macan. Should have ordered sooner.
Apart from the looks of Evoque, unfortunately not sure ill miss much else (although the lack of standard options on the Macan was one!)
04-04-2014 10:39pm