Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Porsche Macan
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: New Porsche Macan

(25-11-2013 12:33am)mark_n Wrote:  On the new issue of CAR magazine, there's an extended review of the Macan, albeit confined to Porsche's Leipzig test track and off-road experience which is a pale imitation of Land Rover's. That said, the review is very favourable, the car is hot with good off-roading ability.

I'm afraid it does put LR technology a little to shame, especially in the engine technology being used.

The article concludes by saying words to the effect that the Macan is going to be a thorn in the side of many SUV manufacturers; I expect the car will do very well and will become Porsche's biggest selling model.

It's interesting to compare the expansion taking place at Leipzig (I was there in April) where there's a green field site where they can expand as much as they need to - take a look on Google maps and search for "Porschestrasse, Leipzig". On the current image, you can see the construction taking place of the plant extension where the Macan will be built but notice how open the site is.

Then do the same for "Lode Lane, Solihull" and see how constrained they are for space. There's a new building under construction for the Jaguar SUV but you wonder what constraints and inefficiencies exist there which would not on a green field site similar to Porsche's.

Finally, if I've captured your interest, take a look at "Mercedes, Sindelfingen, Germany" which is their largest plant and the sprawling "Volkswagen, Wolfsburg" plant. Finally, take a look at "Porsche, Weissach" which is their development centre and test track and "Ferrari Maranello" where you can also see the Fiorano test track.

Having had the benefit of a very extensive tour of the behind the wire facilities at Gaydon; do not underestimate the JLR engineering facilities - Quality not quantityQuestionQuestion

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
25-11-2013 07:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jitenc

(25-11-2013 07:15pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Having had the benefit of a very extensive tour of the behind the wire facilities at Gaydon; do not underestimate the JLR engineering facilities - Quality not quantityQuestionQuestion

JLR engineering? Tata technology! Embarrassed

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
25-11-2013 09:18pm
Tony

(25-11-2013 07:15pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Having had the benefit of a very extensive tour of the behind the wire facilities at Gaydon; do not underestimate the JLR engineering facilities - Quality not quantityQuestionQuestion

(25-11-2013 09:18pm)jitenc Wrote:  JLR engineering? Tata technology! Embarrassed

Quality???

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
25-11-2013 10:12pm
mark_n

(25-11-2013 09:17am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Would it be good enough for you to cancel your RRS Mark?

Well I do have some nagging doubts about the RRS. My main concerns about the Evoque are the lack of overtaking ability on A roads and excessive body roll when cornering, both of which are addressed by the RRS in 5 litre form with 500 bhp and active anti-roll bars.

Just last week, I was driving in the Evoque from Oban to Glasgow on miles of A roads stuck behind all kinds of traffic which I simply could not get past safely even though some other drivers were by risking their own and other's lives.

The problem is the thing is huge, much bigger than I need and hugely thirsty. Compare that with a Macan turbo which, spec'd up, is £17k less than the RRS, is still faster both in a straight line and the twisty bits and at least 50% more economical. It doesn't have the road presence or high driving position or ultimate off-road ability of course. The fastest Evoque does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. The Macan turbo does it in 4.8 which translates to huge overtaking ability.

The alternative would be the talked about Evoque RS but is that going to be anything more than a styling exercise? Are LR going to put real grunt into it? 400 bhp? I don't think there's space in the engine bay for the V6 the car needs.

So, I have 4 options. Keep the Evoque Si4 or swap it for an RRS 5 litre Autobiography (£85k), a Macan turbo (£68k) or an Evoque RS if and when it appears (£50 - 55k?).

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
25-11-2013 10:54pm
sco77harris

Macan looks half the car of the sport.
26-11-2013 12:32am
cutter7

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-AUTO-SH...tor-79025/

26-11-2013 07:47am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The rear end looks like something produced by Proton in the 1980's.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-11-2013 09:49am
Kirk

I am a die-hard Porsche fan. I currently own eight ranging from a '66 912 to an '03 911 Carrera 4S. So I drive a Porsche to work every day, usually a '72 914. I am also President of my local Porsche club and have served as an officer in two regions for the last six years. So I was anxiously awaiting the roll out of the new Macan. I needed a small SUV (just had a baby) and was happy to add to my Porsche collection.

I didn't buy one though. Instead I bought a nice Evoque Pure Plus two weeks ago. Why did I betray my deep-seated devotion to the German brand?

Price! I thought/hoped the Macan would be more competitively priced with the LR and BMW X1/X3. For me to buy a Macan with the same specs as my Pure Plus (leather, pano sunroof, nav, cold climate pkg, etc.) I was going to pay $16,000 USD or 35% more. That just didn't seem logical to me for two more cylinders and 50 HP more. I didn't want a SUV for high performance. Obviously I already have high performance cars for when I want to go fast.

Looks! I think the Macan looks good, but the Evoque looks GREAT! Every time I look at my Evoque my heart beats faster. It just does something for me. I couldn't see paying more for a car that didn't excite me as much!

Maybe in a year Porsche will bring their newly announced 4 cylinder Macan to the U.S. market. If it's priced better I may reconsider my position, but for now I am not thinking about it one bit and just enjoying my amazing Evoque. Very Happy

Kirk
04-01-2014 12:45am
BA74

I think we may be underestimating the Macan. The base model is about the same price as a Dynamic Si4 with a few options but the Macan S is extremely well optioned and you would be spending the same to get an equal specced Dynamic plus you get 250kw v 177kw.
I was planning on upgrading to a Dynamic at the end of the year however am extremely interested in the Macan.
An Evoque RS may be the only thing to keep me...
BA

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
04-01-2014 03:46am
Stadt Panzer

New Porsche Macan

But it's just so ugly, inside and out. Those strange looking air vents....etc

What about the servicing costs, years ago I had a 911 and found them ridiculous.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
04-01-2014 08:20am