Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Porsche Macan
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: New Porsche Macan

I really think JLR has lost the plot with it's pricing strategy - OK so they can still sell every car they make save for the big Jaguar XJ which apparently is a very slow seller) but that isn't a licence to fleece buyers who then loose fortunes in depreciation come time to sell the cars on. The F-type is a point in case - I think apart from the one I test drove at launch I have seen 2 on the roads - if it had been priced £10-£15k less we might be seeing a few more being bought as fun cars rather than very rich man's playthings.

The Evoque has been hugely successful for JLR, today I had to go into Glasgow and I must have seen getting on for 15 of them on the round trip, mostly Dynamics, I even followed a convoy of 3 coming home at "school run" time!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 06:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-11-2013 06:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sco77harris

I think the new f type coupe will sell a lot better than the roadster.

50k is lot more attractive than the near 60 of the roadster and close to the cayman s in price.
21-11-2013 06:34pm
Tony

(21-11-2013 06:34pm)sco77harris Wrote:  I think the new f type coupe will sell a lot better than the roadster.

50k is lot more attractive than the near 60 of the roadster and close to the cayman s in price.

Last time I was at the dealers they had a new unregistered F type with a window sticker offering almost £10 off list price. At that rate of depriciation when they get to 2 years old a nice low mileage example should be sub £25k.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
21-11-2013 06:45pm
XFullFatTim

£10 off list................... not much of a deal then!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-11-2013 08:34pm
Tony

(21-11-2013 08:34pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  £10 off list................... not much of a deal then!

Sorry Tim, £10k off list. Been working outside today, fingers have frost bite!.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
21-11-2013 09:21pm
XFullFatTim

I thought maybe it was those canny North of Scotland dealers trying persuade locals they were getting a bargain deal!

(This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 10:18pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-11-2013 10:18pm
cutter7

what do you think? Tongue Out

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-AUTO-SH...der-79005/

(21-11-2013 06:34pm)sco77harris Wrote:  I think the new f type coupe will sell a lot better than the roadster.

+1

http://www.autospies.com/news/LA-AUTO-SH...upe-78993/

(This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 08:46am by cutter7.)
22-11-2013 08:19am
MrNoo

(21-11-2013 02:45am)mark_n Wrote:  The Macan, at least here in the UK, is positioned in a slot above the Evoque - spec'd up, the slowest and cheapest Macan is faster and more expensive than the fastest most expensive Evoque.

I agree with this.
I think Jaguar Land Rover will use a combination of the Evoque XL and Jaguar C-X17 to cover this section of the market. Both will be based on their new iQ(AL) aluminium architecture - so much lighter, and capable of taking the V6 engines.
Phil Popham (JLR's Global Marketing Director) said at the Tokyo motor show “The C-X17 will be a Jaguar in every way, with four wheel drive but with an on-road bias as against Range Rover which has greater off road capability. The important thing is that the two can sit together comfortably in the showroom.”. Looks like the Macan will end up between a rock and a hard place Very Happy
Other interesting points he makes are:
1. "We are now in line with our competitors in terms of a seven year change cycle." Can we expect a new Evoque in 2018?
2. “It is my aim not to have more than 20 percent of volume in any one of our six regions: UK, rest of Europe, North America, China, Asia Pacific and rest of the World.”
3. On Land Rover's brand identity he said "I see three distinct areas: luxury, which is Range Rover, leisure, or versatility and active lifestyle as currently in Freelander and Discovery and utility, which is Defender.
4. And on us - their customers he says, "our customers, wherever they are, are affluent, well-travelled and expect a lot from us.”

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
22-11-2013 07:01pm
mark_n

On the new issue of CAR magazine, there's an extended review of the Macan, albeit confined to Porsche's Leipzig test track and off-road experience which is a pale imitation of Land Rover's. That said, the review is very favourable, the car is hot with good off-roading ability.

I'm afraid it does put LR technology a little to shame, especially in the engine technology being used.

The article concludes by saying words to the effect that the Macan is going to be a thorn in the side of many SUV manufacturers; I expect the car will do very well and will become Porsche's biggest selling model.

It's interesting to compare the expansion taking place at Leipzig (I was there in April) where there's a green field site where they can expand as much as they need to - take a look on Google maps and search for "Porschestrasse, Leipzig". On the current image, you can see the construction taking place of the plant extension where the Macan will be built but notice how open the site is.

Then do the same for "Lode Lane, Solihull" and see how constrained they are for space. There's a new building under construction for the Jaguar SUV but you wonder what constraints and inefficiencies exist there which would not on a green field site similar to Porsche's.

Finally, if I've captured your interest, take a look at "Mercedes, Sindelfingen, Germany" which is their largest plant and the sprawling "Volkswagen, Wolfsburg" plant. Finally, take a look at "Porsche, Weissach" which is their development centre and test track and "Ferrari Maranello" where you can also see the Fiorano test track.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 12:34am by mark_n.)
25-11-2013 12:33am
XFullFatTim

Would it be good enough for you to cancel your RRS Mark?

25-11-2013 09:17am