Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Porsche Macan
Kirk

RE: New Porsche Macan

(04-01-2014 08:20am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  What about the servicing costs, years ago I had a 911 and found them ridiculous.

In the nearly 15 years that I have owned Porsches not one has ever seen the dealer. For the do-it-yourself home mechanic Porsches are very affordable to own. There are several sources for cheap Porsche parts over the Internet. Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com) is the best though. They offer the exact same parts as OEM, but without the Porsche part number or box, at a fraction of the cost. They also have a huge library of technical articles on how to do repairs. Repair/modification books, aftermarket service manuals, and factory service manuals are also readily available. There are also not many specialized tools needed. So there are a HUGE number of options for Porsche owners (and the Macan will be no different) to keep them out of the dealer's service shop and to keep repair costs reasonable.

Unfortunately I am not finding the same level of support for the Evoque, but it's a very new model and I assume that most people are still depending on dealer services. I am hopeful though that over time this will improve.

Kirk
04-01-2014 03:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

New Porsche Macan

Kirk,

No problem with doing the work myself but whilst it's on warranty I wouldn't touch it, I'd hate for something to go wrong in the first three years and then (quite rightly so) LR turning round and saying it hasn't been serviced by them.

Anyways the first service is free for me and the max I'll keep the car is 12 months before I change it for a new one.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
04-01-2014 07:25pm
Mharv

Porsches pricing on servicing is over the top min £500 for its first oil service.... Service pack is the way to go like bmw and LR Smile
got some nice side steps on Dec My 13 dynamic coupe... fitted in Derby... Evoque has great looks compared to a lot... of fuggleys !!!
04-01-2014 07:50pm
gw76

Slightly odd looks although conventionally Porsche, Im seriously tempted, although will take a hit on the dog that is the Si4. Still prefer Evoque looks, but just too many things not adding up for me. Economy, handling, reliability, customer service etc.
04-01-2014 08:16pm
cjfp

I found my porsche servicing very reasonable.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
04-01-2014 09:53pm
J77

Not for me. I'm Land Rover through and through

No doubt it will sell well but I don't think Land Rover have a lot to worry about, Porsches larger 4x4 monstrosity hasn't damaged sales of Range Rovers.

Granted the LR products are a bit rough around the edges at times but not enough to put me off.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
05-01-2014 01:48am
AAA86

New Porsche Macan

Check this out

http://youtu.be/OcZhHCHrC7U
02-03-2014 08:31pm
mark_n

(05-01-2014 01:48am)J77 Wrote:  No doubt it will sell well but I don't think Land Rover have a lot to worry about, Porsches larger 4x4 monstrosity hasn't damaged sales of Range Rovers.

How can you possibly say that? The reason LR can sell every car they can make is due to the SUV market expanding faster than LR's ability to supply it. Tens of thousands of people choose a Cayenne - and will choose a Macan - in preference to an LR product.

LR have their work cut out to meet Porsche's challenge of better quality and build and much better engine technology and if they are dismissing that challenge as you appear to, that's what they should be worrying about.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
03-03-2014 08:12am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Porsche is finding nearly three years after LR that there is a huge market for sportier/good looking smaller SUV style vehicle, it's just taken that long for them to catch-up. Regardless of what you think about servicing/quality/ build integrity of the Evqoue (and some have plenty of reason, quite rightly, never to touch the brand again because of shoddy treatment both by arrogant senior management at LR and a handful of sales outlets that need a rocket up their backside or at least their franchises removed) there is still plenty of room in the market for this type of vehicle. Unfortunately for LR the competition has been working hard to improve on LR's product while they have sat back and watched their bank account swell and done very very little to stay ahead of the game.

Unfortunately for some like BMW and Audi while they make far better built and high perceived quality their products are seen as boring and dowdy and generic copies of other vehicles in their ranges. Customers may want problem free fantastically built cars but they also want cars that are a bit different - one thing for sure you cannot mistake an Evoque for any other Land Rover product or any other maker's car.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 09:44am by XFullFatTim.)
03-03-2014 09:38am
DfunkyT

At the end of the day, the Porsche is simply more expensive, which motoring journalists always seem to forget to connect to their frequent 'in the real world' sentences, especially when the other frequent expression connected to a Porsche review is 'optional this and optional that'.

I'm sure the Macan is a fab drive, as are most Porsches, but I've always found the brand a bit soulless. Ahh, the magic of marketing and the rational, emotional, premium value triangle. Time to roll out sporty spice for the dynamic autobiography?!
03-03-2014 11:29am