Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Disco Sport
recordman

RE: New Disco Sport

SD cards in sat navs seem to be on their way back. The new Jag XE uses them and a mate of mine has just bought an Audi Q3 and that uses an SD card too.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
21-12-2014 01:34pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

No CD player either, you need to go for the entertainment package, which I think adds the hard drive sat Nav system and meridian sound system.

Overall though I liked it. Counting down the days to March, it's been a long time without a forum, I placed my deposit back in May.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
21-12-2014 02:07pm
Craig_d1

Had a look round the new Disco sport yesterday as local dealer has a few in for the weekend. Found it had a decent amount of boot space even with the 2 rear seat raising the boot floor several inches. I like the fact that the middle row can move forward and back to make even more space if needed. Like the RRS, their is no footwell for your lower legs when the rearmost seats are up, so you'll be sitting in the rear seats with knees in the air. A no no for adults, and I wouldn't want my kids sitting back there for long journeys.
We thought the central transmission tunnel(think that's right) between the 2 front seats was very low rent cheap plastic. the same in the boot area, where the plastic was already seriously scratched up. With the price hike over the old freelander, I was expecting better. It's much more utilitarian inside compared to the Evoque, which I think has a much more welcoming feel.
Overall it was nice, but considering the price hike (HSE specced to £44k) it left us feeling a little underwhelmed.
11-01-2015 11:50am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Do you think anybody at Land Rover gives fig about pricing and quality issues at the moment? They just don't seem to be listening to owners about all the stupid things that go wrong. I certainly don't believe they do now and are churning out overpriced poorly finished cars marketed as "premium". So many people want one that all that LR is doing is churning them out as fast as they can and aren't worried about their hard earned reputation as a builder of well assembled cars.
Also, while I can accept that possibly dealers have pre-production cars to put on their showroom floor, it is unforgivable to be showing of a new car that is in anyway damaged. It appears that to get a well built Land Rover product you have to be prepared to pay in excess of £80k because what they are offering in the £35-50k range in no way can be called premium now, the quality is definitely going down as the price goes up. Before they realise it Land Rover will be churning out cars of similar awful quality and finish as the stuff they made in the 70's and 80's and wonder where all their customers have gone. When I'm being asked to fork out several years disposable income I want to feel like I have had value for money. My allegiance to the brand is wearing very thin after 19 years of previously well built, value for money cars.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 02:47pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-01-2015 01:57pm
J77

It's the same low rent plastics that's currently used in the Evoque, nothing's changed. And they creak less.

It's just my opinion but I'm more impressed with the DS than I was with the Evoque. To me the Evoque fell way short of the badge that's on the bonnet and from what I've read on here it's even further away.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
11-01-2015 07:25pm
Gjh0702

Checked one out yesterday - size wise good, disappointed at the low kerb height- the 'command' position of Freelander which was reduced in Evoque has now gone- which is a shame

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
11-01-2015 09:30pm
Craig_d1

Well, we went back and had a test drive and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. We drove the manual ( I would have an auto but it was out and about) which had a nice feel to it. The car drove nicely, and was definitely more hushed than the Evoque, or the one I had. Engine noise wasn't too intrusive, the seats were comfortable and the drive was relaxing. Slightly more body roll than the Evoque, but better than the D4 we have. Didn't soak up the bumps quite as well but that's the compromise. My wife said it's like driving the Disco, only in a smaller package so LR obviously doing something right.
The middle row with the seats pushed back gave you acres of space, so my son had plenty of legroom sitting in the middle seat. Both my boys had a go in the back and didn't mind the lack of footwell, though my eldest did say he wouldn't want to sit like that for a long time, but for the school run, footy practice etc, it does the job.
I still think the centre transmission between the front seats is plastic, but I guess it could be wrapped, though while driving I didn't really notice.
All in all, it's a car my wife says she'd be happy to drive and cart the kids around in as she wouldn't worry so much about the kids in it( whereas the RRS she be conscious of feet on backs of seats etc)
It's still pricey, but we're considering it as a D4 is over 5 yrs now and the new full disco replacement could still be 2 yrs away.
Regarding waiting for the new engine, it could be a long wait as the 1st will be the 2WD low power Eco version, and I'd prob have it for 3yrs anyway so the emissions don't come into play so much.
Anyway, food for thought.
11-01-2015 11:55pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I noticed on the BBC News app this morning there is a long item about JLR having to recruit another 1300 workers for the Jaguar factory and advanced orders for the Jaguar SUV are running high even though it hasn't even made it off the drawing board yet!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-01-2015 08:58am
PhilSkill

Hi Tim, I saw the news article as well and they said recruiting at Solihull, which means even if it's the same platform as the Evoque, it wont be done on the same production line. Guess Halewood is at Max capacity.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-01-2015 07:58pm
Evo-king

(12-01-2015 08:58am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I noticed on the BBC News app this morning there is a long item about JLR having to recruit another 1300 workers for the Jaguar factory and advanced orders for the Jaguar SUV are running high even though it hasn't even made it off the drawing board yet!

Guilty as charged, but, F-Pace, Seriously, they could have come up with a better name than that.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
12-01-2015 09:34pm