Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Disco Sport
Crabacle

RE: New Disco Sport

I was lucky enough to have a test drive in a new Disco Sport yesterday.
I wondered if anybody had any thoughts about their experiences etc - I was left underwhelmed in some areas but pleasantly impressed in others.
I am seriously considering it as a replacement for my Evoque which is 3 years old in 2015.
16-12-2014 08:38pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Devonian

(16-12-2014 08:38pm)Crabacle Wrote:  I was lucky enough to have a test drive in a new Disco Sport yesterday.
I wondered if anybody had any thoughts about their experiences etc - I was left underwhelmed in some areas but pleasantly impressed in others.
I am seriously considering it as a replacement for my Evoque which is 3 years old in 2015.

What were the good and bad points in your opinion?

What did you make to the new infotainment set up? Much improved?

2012-2014: Dynamic SD4 Auto Lux Coupe. Santorini Black, Style 7 20" Shadow wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam Assist, Solar Attenuating Glass and black Dynamic Plus pack. Sold back to Land Rover due to many build quality issues.
On order: Corris Grey Dynamic SD4 5 door, black contrast pan roof, blind spot indicators, Intelligence Pack, Head Up Display, Solar Glass, 825W Stereo and powered tailgate.
16-12-2014 10:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crabacle

It seemed a little primitive and less refined in finish and drive than the Evoque - but it's a bigger car and more of a land cruiser than a RR. Performance was good. Size was great with a proper boot.
Didn't really check out the infotainment but looked a bit of a faff to be honest.
Steering wheel controls were a mess.
Given that it's a similar cost to the evoque - I would go for the Disco as its a proper 4wd instead of a baby RR.
In fact I am working up a config and some pricing with my dealer.
16-12-2014 11:14pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genericd

New Disco Sport

(16-12-2014 11:14pm)Crabacle Wrote:  It seemed a little primitive and less refined in finish and drive than the Evoque - but it's a bigger car and more of a land cruiser than a RR. Performance was good. Size was great with a proper boot.
Didn't really check out the infotainment but looked a bit of a faff to be honest.
Given that it's a similar cost to the evoque - I would go for the Disco as its a proper 4wd instead of a baby RR.

You don't rate the Evoque as a proper 4wd? Genuine question.
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2014 11:51pm by genericd.)
16-12-2014 11:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I wouldn't say it wasn't a proper 4x4, but the limited ground clearance and lack of tansfer case/ low ratios don't make it a "go anywhere Deefender/Disco" type 4x4, which of course it was never intended to be. It is surprising what an Evoque CAN achieve offroad though, even on 20" wheels and low profile tyres, and in certain situations it leaves it's bigger heavier brothers trailing in it's wake! As TG demonstrated 2 years ago, their Dynamic with AT tyres put up a dammed good show offroad on the Atholl Estates - but it did go home minus it's complete rear bumper!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 11:08am by XFullFatTim.)
17-12-2014 11:06am
Crabacle

I think that the previous post sums it up, size, ground clearance. Notwithstanding that it has never let me down and got me everywhere that I have needed to go.
Boot size is also an issue for me.
Disco Sport still spinning vs upgraded Evoque though.
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 11:41pm by Crabacle.)
17-12-2014 08:11pm
genericd

New Disco Sport

I'm absolutely loving my new (old) Evoque but have to say the Disco Sport had me thinking again about whether I'd made a bad decision in getting it
17-12-2014 11:30pm
J77

I had my hours test drive a couple of days ago and I loved it, yes it's not a rough tough off roader but nether is the Evoque, but that's what the bigger cars are for, it has enough to be worthy of the LR badge.

I test drove an HSE Lux manual, very nice, smooth gear changes. Holds the road fanastically well, no bumps, knocks or creaks over pot holes. They were pre production cars but build quality felt good, overall it felt well put toghether.

The third row seats to me are a waste of space, uncomfortable for adults, young children yes.

Loved the pano roof, one of my regrets not opting for it on my Evoque.

The car is not to everyones taste, it's causing a bit of a stir in the Fl2 world, but I'm looking forward to it, it's going into build 13th March, a Friday :shock.

(16-12-2014 11:14pm)Crabacle Wrote:  It seemed a little primitive and less refined in finish and drive than the Evoque - but it's a bigger car and more of a land cruiser than a RR. Performance was good. Size was great with a proper boot.

It's supposed to be less refined than the Range Rovers Rolling Eyes LRs design ethos premium but not precious

(16-12-2014 10:42pm)Devonian Wrote:  What were the good and bad points in your opinion?

What did you make to the new infotainment set up? Much improved?

The new info system looks good, but on the car I tested (pre production) some of the features didn't work, such as the swipe through menus. Overall though it's an improvement for LR but still lags behind the competition. The standard Nav system is SD card.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 03:55pm by J77.)
20-12-2014 03:46pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

SD card for the Nav? Thats like going back to 1980's tech................ hardly cutting edge technology. But I suppose it might mean that updating the maps SHOULD be free downloads over the internet....................... but I bet they won't be!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 04:51am by XFullFatTim.)
21-12-2014 02:40am
Crabacle

Yes - there are a few strange things about the car that just don't seem to make sense.
However, will probably be placing an order for March.
21-12-2014 11:23am