Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Low battery warning without the engine switched on
stunt

Low battery warning without the engine switched on

Is this normal?

If I turn the entertainment unit on without the engine running I get a low battey warning and a message saying the unit will turn off in three minutes unless the engine is started. Is this normal ?

Fuji SD4 Dynamic. Coupe. Manual, Privacy
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 09:37pm by stunt.)
06-10-2012 09:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Low battery warning without the engine switched on

Yes, perfectly normal and a pain in the butt

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 09:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-10-2012 09:38pm
stunt

(06-10-2012 09:38pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes, perfectly normal and a pain in the butt

Thanks

So I cant listen to the radio whilst washing the car then??

06-10-2012 09:48pm
Tony

(06-10-2012 09:48pm)stunt Wrote:  Thanks

So I cant listen to the radio whilst washing the car then??

No, ten minute warning is normal (see hand book) three minuite warning is a fault. Had it twice, first time 'not so smart' alternator replaced, second time some sort of software re-boot. Currently waiting for the third time and a total system failure!

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
06-10-2012 09:53pm
stunt

(06-10-2012 09:53pm)Tony Wrote:  No, ten minute warning is normal (see hand book) three minuite warning is a fault. Had it twice, first time 'not so smart' alternator replaced, second time some sort of software re-boot. Currently waiting for the third time and a total system failure!

Tony

I cant find it the manual where it says ten minute warning is normal just "run the engine for prolonged use"

06-10-2012 10:23pm
The Valeter

(06-10-2012 09:38pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes, perfectly normal and a pain in the butt

Yes I can second that one! Surprised
(06-10-2012 09:53pm)Tony Wrote:  No, ten minute warning is normal (see hand book) three minuite warning is a fault. Had it twice, first time 'not so smart' alternator replaced, second time some sort of software re-boot. Currently waiting for the third time and a total system failure!

Tony

I had your second issue.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 10:45pm by The Valeter.)
06-10-2012 10:45pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stunt

so is 3 minutes or ten minutes normal??

06-10-2012 11:00pm
Land Rover Techy

(06-10-2012 11:00pm)stunt Wrote:  so is 3 minutes or ten minutes normal??

Hi all
As you may or may not be aware Range Rover Evoque is fitted with whats called BMS ( Battery Monitoring System )
If you were to remove the battery cover under the bonnet you would see a small device fitted onto the Negative ( Black / Minus ) battety terminal.

The purpose of this is for the car to be able to determine the state of the battery. This is monitored by the car.

I cannot remember the precise time but if you were in the car listening to the radio without the car running. After a short period yes you will get a message on the Touch Screen Display saying Low Battery System Will Shut Down In 3 Minutes.

This message will be displayed in less of a time if the igntion is on.

This is due to the battery is not being charged by the alternator, so the power in the battery is being used by the likes of the touch screen display, the amplifier and all the other things within the car which need to be powered up for you to listen to the Radio etc.

All these items that need to be powered up will cause a current drain on the battery and if this was not monitored you would find that the battery would very quickly go flat.

This is the whole reason for BMS, the battery voltage has to be above a certain value for the car to be able to start. the BMS trys to prevent you from listening to the radio while you are waiting to pick up a child or wife, family member etc only to find that by the time they are in the car the car will not actually start.

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
06-10-2012 11:16pm
stunt

(06-10-2012 11:16pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi all
As you may or may not be aware Range Rover Evoque is fitted with whats called BMS ( Battery Monitoring System )
If you were to remove the battery cover under the bonnet you would see a small device fitted onto the Negative ( Black / Minus ) battety terminal.

The purpose of this is for the car to be able to determine the state of the battery. This is monitored by the car.

I cannot remember the precise time but if you were in the car listening to the radio without the car running. After a short period yes you will get a message on the Touch Screen Display saying Low Battery System Will Shut Down In 3 Minutes.

This message will be displayed in less of a time if the igntion is on.

This is due to the battery is not being charged by the alternator, so the power in the battery is being used by the likes of the touch screen display, the amplifier and all the other things within the car which need to be powered up for you to listen to the Radio etc.

All these items that need to be powered up will cause a current drain on the battery and if this was not monitored you would find that the battery would very quickly go flat.

This is the whole reason for BMS, the battery voltage has to be above a certain value for the car to be able to start. the BMS trys to prevent you from listening to the radio while you are waiting to pick up a child or wife, family member etc only to find that by the time they are in the car the car will not actually start.

I get it if i just get in the car and turn the radio on straight away a 3 minute warning.

I have just found this thread indicating its either the alternator or a software update. Maybe this is why I havent noticed the stop start operating - if the alternator isnt charging the battery properly. Yes im new to the car i.e. today, the car is a 5 mth old demonstrator from a LR main dealer. Think it will be a call to them on Monday . A little worrying

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Yet-more-...OW-BATTERY

06-10-2012 11:40pm
Tony

(06-10-2012 11:40pm)stunt Wrote:  I get it if i just get in the car and turn the radio on straight away a 3 minute warning.

I have just found this thread indicating its either the alternator or a software update. Maybe this is why I havent noticed the stop start operating - if the alternator isnt charging the battery properly. Yes im new to the car i.e. today, the car is a 5 mth old demonstrator from a LR main dealer. Think it will be a call to them on Monday . A little worrying

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Yet-more-...OW-BATTERY

My three minute warning was coming up straight away on start up, the radio had not been used prior to this. I do not leave systems switched on, do not have start-stop and my shortest journey is 12 miles on A roads with no traffic stops, summer, no heating, lights etc.

The radio gets little use as I cannot pick up DAB and the three and a half FM channels I can get are Cr@p. I used to work in the garage on my old 1965 MG Midget (really small battery and dynamo) for days on end with the cassete player on and not flatten the battery - that was nearly forty years ago. Such is progress, we now get three minutes!

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
07-10-2012 08:29am