Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Low battery warning without the engine switched on
Firenze

RE: Low battery warning without the engine switched on

(14-03-2013 01:13pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  As far as I understand it, you should only get the '10-minute' warning, not the '3-minute' one.

When I recently (after 12 months) got the latter, the dealer treated it as a fault and updated the software in the 'smart charge' system. According to them, this is a common fault, which results in the battery only charging at 12.4 volts instead of 13.8 volts (as they tell me it now does). Since then, I've had no '3-minute' warning.

It shouldn't be a major problem unless your battery has been completely flat as a result of inadequate charging, although I'm not entirely convinced that long-term charging at an inadequate voltage is good for it.

Thanks I will defo mention it at the service now

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
14-03-2013 01:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

They changed the battery on my first Evoque at the 12 month service too.
14-03-2013 02:55pm
scrannel

(14-03-2013 01:13pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  As far as I understand it, you should only get the '10-minute' warning, not the '3-minute' one.

When I recently (after 12 months) got the latter, the dealer treated it as a fault and updated the software in the 'smart charge' system. According to them, this is a common fault, which results in the battery only charging at 12.4 volts instead of 13.8 volts (as they tell me it now does). Since then, I've had no '3-minute' warning.

It shouldn't be a major problem unless your battery has been completely flat as a result of inadequate charging, although I'm not entirely convinced that long-term charging at an inadequate voltage is good for it.

Correct on all fronts. If you are consistently getting the 3 min warning you need to have your battery checked. Furthermore ALL cars brought in to have the "software update" need to have their batteries tested before handing cars back to customers. Clearly many dealers are not doing this.

And, long term charging at inadequate voltage will, eventually, kill the battery.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2013 03:57pm by scrannel.)
14-03-2013 03:55pm
WB
WB

(14-03-2013 03:55pm)scrannel Wrote:  Correct on all fronts. If you are consistently getting the 3 min warning you need to have your battery checked. Furthermore ALL cars brought in to have the "software update" need to have their batteries tested before handing cars back to customers. Clearly many dealers are not doing this.

And, long term charging at inadequate voltage will, eventually, kill the battery.

+1 I'd never had a flat battery just the 3 minute warning and they still replaced it.
14-03-2013 04:34pm
50dwill

(10-10-2012 11:09pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  It is possible, if an Alternator was to fail you would notice it in other vehicle systems, you would get multiple warning lights on the display accompanied by likes of ABS and gearbox faults related to low battery voltage. If you like i will check and see what i did to fix the car i had with similar problem
Hi mate ours is having this 3 minutes warning nearly every time had new battery, full system upgrades 10 days ago, full rest all to no avail hade in the past abs fault gearbox fault now been in 10 times for this fault did you ever get a cure? thanks.
01-12-2013 02:10pm
cjfp

(01-12-2013 02:10pm)50dwill Wrote:  Hi mate ours is having this 3 minutes warning nearly every time had new battery, full system upgrades 10 days ago, full rest all to no avail hade in the past abs fault gearbox fault now been in 10 times for this fault did you ever get a cure? thanks.

Land Rover Techy hasnt been on the site siince Jan 2013 so i doubt you will get a response from him.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-12-2013 04:39pm
jojosr

The same by me, but when using Auxiliary heating. I switch it on and after maybe 3 minutes the message "after 3 min.......blablabla" appears.
Tommorow going to service, technician said, maybe they will replace the battery.
We will see Smile

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
01-12-2013 08:12pm
Donny Dog

(01-12-2013 08:12pm)jojosr Wrote:  The same by me, but when using Auxiliary heating. I switch it on and after maybe 3 minutes the message "after 3 min.......blablabla" appears.
Tommorow going to service, technician said, maybe they will replace the battery.
We will see Smile

Is the auxiliary heating a big power drain? (In other words, could it be a valid warning in this case?).
01-12-2013 10:55pm
jojosr

I do not think so, today I was in service and they just load the battery (no replace).
Technician told me, that to compensate battery drain by auxiliary heating (or cooling in the summer) is neccesary usually to drive the same time as using the heating. That means, if using heating 30 minutes in the mornig I should drive at least 30 minutes afterwards.
We will see, if the draining will continue....

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
03-12-2013 06:27pm