Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Low battery warning without the engine switched on
Land Rover Techy

RE: Low battery warning without the engine switched on

(06-10-2012 11:40pm)stunt Wrote:  I get it if i just get in the car and turn the radio on straight away a 3 minute warning.

I have just found this thread indicating its either the alternator or a software update. Maybe this is why I havent noticed the stop start operating - if the alternator isnt charging the battery properly. Yes im new to the car i.e. today, the car is a 5 mth old demonstrator from a LR main dealer. Think it will be a call to them on Monday . A little worrying

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Yet-more-...OW-BATTERY

Hi, i think i have seen this before,

I am doubtful that it is an alternator fault.
It from memory is related to some software in the car.
Things to try first.
Ask the dealer to reset the battery monitoring system. The technician can tell the car that it has a new battery installed and then the battery monitoring system learns the state of charge of the battery.

Secondly see if there is any newer software for the Body Control Module (CJB) this is what determines the message appearing on the display.

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
07-10-2012 01:28pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tony

(07-10-2012 01:28pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi, i think i have seen this before,

I am doubtful that it is an alternator fault.
It from memory is related to some software in the car.
Things to try first.
Ask the dealer to reset the battery monitoring system. The technician can tell the car that it has a new battery installed and then the battery monitoring system learns the state of charge of the battery.

I think this is what they did to mine after a new alternator failed to fix the problem, although I do not want too speak too soon. It went six weeks after the new alternator before the problem re-occured and tomorrow it will be six weeks since the software re-set!!

If it fails again or more rattles occur this will determine if I get rid, ten months old and 4700 miles so would hope not to loose too much. This is my forth and by far the most expensive LR in 11 years and the only one I have had problems with.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
08-10-2012 10:36am
Land Rover Techy

(08-10-2012 10:36am)Tony Wrote:  I think this is what they did to mine after a new alternator failed to fix the problem, although I do not want too speak too soon. It went six weeks after the new alternator before the problem re-occured and tomorrow it will be six weeks since the software re-set!!

If it fails again or more rattles occur this will determine if I get rid, ten months old and 4700 miles so would hope not to loose too much. This is my forth and by far the most expensive LR in 11 years and the only one I have had problems with.

It is possible, if an Alternator was to fail you would notice it in other vehicle systems, you would get multiple warning lights on the display accompanied by likes of ABS and gearbox faults related to low battery voltage. If you like i will check and see what i did to fix the car i had with similar problem

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
10-10-2012 11:09pm
Tony

(10-10-2012 11:09pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  It is possible, if an Alternator was to fail you would notice it in other vehicle systems, you would get multiple warning lights on the display accompanied by likes of ABS and gearbox faults related to low battery voltage. If you like i will check and see what i did to fix the car i had with similar problem

Thanks, it would be interesting to know what other solutions have been applied to what seems a common problem (with forum members at least).

All seems to be running fine at the moment, the car really comes into its own on the open fast sweeping roads we have in this part of the world, compared to other compact 4x4s its like driving a track day car in Dynamic mode. This is the reason we have not got rid of it yet, when it works its outstanding for the money.

On a bad note, last Saterday we spotted a new white Dynamic parked in a house driveway along side a white FL2, so we are no longer the 'Only Evoque on the Island'

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
12-10-2012 12:46pm
stunt

Car been in to the dealers today

Software Upgrade done

No 3 min warning and the ECO is now working

Fuji SD4 Dynamic. Coupe. Manual, Privacy
18-10-2012 09:22pm
scrannel

So. I'm getting the 3 minute warning. Ask dealer if normal. He says: "No, those batteries are crap. Bring in and we'll give you a better one." (I have sealed battery). Ask about software upgrade -- he laughs, says fixes the message, doesn't fix battery. Will report back.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
12-02-2013 12:20am
Bowl

It can be either 10 or 3 minutes depending on the battery voltage. If the battery is sufficiently charged, the entertainment system will shut down after 10 minutes' use without any warning. If the battery is below a certain value, it will shut down in 3 minutes, accompanied by the warning message.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
15-02-2013 05:39am
scrannel

Took the car in yesterday. Dealer asked if I got the "recall" and I said not. Turns out I already had the update (car late enough in production) so they did a load test because I was getting the 3 min warning, found the battery was no good and replaced. Whole process took about 45 minutes. While I read a book.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
21-02-2013 01:59pm
Firenze

Ive only had the 3 minute warning a couple of times recently and it always seemed to be after a 20 mile drive and having the heated seat on for 10 mins, so maybe just due to it being a short run?

Having its first service in a couple of weeks so will ask then I think

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
14-03-2013 11:03am
Donny Dog

As far as I understand it, you should only get the '10-minute' warning, not the '3-minute' one.

When I recently (after 12 months) got the latter, the dealer treated it as a fault and updated the software in the 'smart charge' system. According to them, this is a common fault, which results in the battery only charging at 12.4 volts instead of 13.8 volts (as they tell me it now does). Since then, I've had no '3-minute' warning.

It shouldn't be a major problem unless your battery has been completely flat as a result of inadequate charging, although I'm not entirely convinced that long-term charging at an inadequate voltage is good for it.
14-03-2013 01:13pm