Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead battery after 10 days
Coolbanana

RE: Dead battery after 10 days

(24-09-2012 04:14pm)Ryo Wrote:  Threads like this are really putting some fear in me.
Really not for rides <20 min.? Wow. I thought a Range Rover would be kind of reliable. You know, drive everywhere under any condition...

I wouldn't worry...I work from home so my RRE typically gets used to pop into Town or to collect or take one of the kids somewhere - all typically 1-5 mile journey's at most and this is two or three times a week. So my car gets lots of sub-20 minute usage.

It gets one or two decent runs a month only and has always started no probs.

The only electrical issue I have had is due to leaving the car unlocked in the garage where the keyless entry was still 'speaking' to the remote fob and no usage for 24 hours caused the battery to drain.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
24-09-2012 05:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

Ok, definately something wrong.

Last night after we got it going I did the 60 mile journey home.
This morning it started fine.
This afternoon it started fine, I took it out to fill it up and grab a bit of shopping.

Just tried to start it now and it's dead again.

So if I break that down, it's had about 4 starts after the 60 mile journey. Crying
I'm supposed to be in London tomorrow and I really don't know whether to leave the evoque at home now Crying

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
24-09-2012 06:51pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

Do you double lock the car each time you lock it.

Double locking ensures all the electrical systems shut down while a single lock will leave some running and can lead to the problems you're experiencing.
24-09-2012 08:40pm
doug

The 20min comment was only ment as not enough time to charge a dead battery . To save on Weight, car makes fit smaller batteries which aren't up to the job if you ask me.

I wont bring up the 10mins of audio use or 3mins using a 12vdc Aux socket without the engine runnining Confused

I used to have problems with Veto's which wouldn't start after a long weekend due to the tracker,PC battery charger etc.. Draining the life out of the vans batteries. We now have Transits with twin batteries fitted.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 10:23pm by doug.)
24-09-2012 10:10pm
RacingSnake

I always only single lock, as I thought the double lock deactivated the interior sensors, which I'd rather remained active.

But note I posted that up at 6.51... we finally got it started again at 8.30. Sad
It wouldn't start even with a direct jump from a 3l v6 vito van - the battery was properly dead, to the point where even when trying to start only 1 of the xenons would ignite.
After leaving the van running for about 15 mins we managed to get some residual charge in the evoque and just as I had decided to say forget it, I did one last start and it fired up.

I've left it running for about an hour, but I cannot now run the risk of taking it into London tomorrow - really very very annoying as it's no longer reliable for me Sad

If nothing else I expect a replacement battery as I'd be pretty sure this has damaged it.

re the 20 mins.... surely though it would be enough to allow another '1' crank' of the engine... otherwise see my comment about the start-stop technology Sad

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
24-09-2012 10:22pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

Not sure what LR use, but most car manufactures beef up the alternator & battery with stop/start.

Going back to your RRE as I'm sure you will agree, theres something wrong. Let us know what your dealer has to say.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
24-09-2012 10:34pm
IKM

Interesting article in the current edition of Autocar about LR and batteries:
"One of the causes of LR unreliabilty has been quiescent drain of its batteries caused by electronic sub-systems failing to turn off when parked. The new Range Rover now has an electronic watchdog to detect the problem and automatically turn circuits off if the car is switched off and going nowhere."

(i'll need to check the dictionary for the meaning of "quiescent" though).

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
24-09-2012 10:50pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

When mine went flat the LRA technician had to reset something in the smart alternator/ charging system otherwise, he claimed, the battery would not charge even after a very long drive. After your car was jump started did you have this "reset" done RS?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-09-2012 05:58am
RacingSnake

No I didn't, I wouldn't know how to or where to look? Thats hopefully what LR are going to do for me... as well as replacing the battery, as I think it's probably taken a bit of a beating after yesterday.

After it failed the first time on sunday night, it obviously managed to get 'some' charge back as it allowed me to start it 4 times yesterday.

I decided I can't trust it at the moment, so have left it at home and come into London in our Pinin instead.

25-09-2012 07:31am
wavey.dave

(24-09-2012 10:22pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  I always only single lock, as I thought the double lock deactivated the interior sensors, which I'd rather remained active.

But note I posted that up at 6.51... we finally got it started again at 8.30. Sad
It wouldn't start even with a direct jump from a 3l v6 vito van - the battery was properly dead, to the point where even when trying to start only 1 of the xenons would ignite.
After leaving the van running for about 15 mins we managed to get some residual charge in the evoque and just as I had decided to say forget it, I did one last start and it fired up.

I've left it running for about an hour, but I cannot now run the risk of taking it into London tomorrow - really very very annoying as it's no longer reliable for me Sad

If nothing else I expect a replacement battery as I'd be pretty sure this has damaged it.

re the 20 mins.... surely though it would be enough to allow another '1' crank' of the engine... otherwise see my comment about the start-stop technology Sad

Pretty sure its the other way around. Deadlocking enables the interior sensors, single locking doesn't.

[Image: 143277.png]
25-09-2012 07:35am