babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Dead battery after 10 days - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Dead battery after 10 days (/Thread-Dead-battery-after-10-days)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Dead battery after 10 days - RacingSnake - 23-09-2012 09:03pm

Just got back from spain tonight to find a dash lit up like a christmas tree, EBD fault, Gearbox Fault, Service due, and a warning on the main screen "low battery".
I've been away for 2 weeks, but my brother in law moved it after a couple of days, since then it has sat there untouched.
We jump started it, and I took it out for 20 mins, but having to stop again it once again failed to start Sad
All lights worked, radio etc, just loads of error messages and no turn over.

I'm now home and will get it to the dealers tomorrow.
Pretty annoyed as the RRE was our "good" car to depend on, and find it cant even hold charge for 2 weeks?
Pathetic Crying

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - doug - 23-09-2012 09:15pm

Sorry to read about your troubles. But having your RRE engine cranked over to move it a few metres will knock the charge of a battery & a 20min drive isn't enough time to gain back the lost charge of a flat battery.

Not saying that you don't have a fault Sad

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - cjfp - 23-09-2012 09:22pm

Blame bro-in-law and get him to pay the bill Laughing

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - XFullFatTim - 23-09-2012 10:00pm

No need to go to the dealers, this is what happened to me 6 weeks ago, OK the cause was my solar trickle cargers cable being chopped inadvertently and discharging the battery. Call out LRA, they will measure the voltage across the battery and see if it is dead dead,or nearly dead. If nearly dead it is recoverable with their jumpstart system, then they reset the smart alternator and all the ECU's etc. Took 20 inutes on my drive. The problem you are having is more than likely because the alternator hasn't been reset.
It should not have discharged over 2 weeks so there must be something else - I have a suspicision that the oh so clever interior lights might stay on sometimes after they should have switched off and during the day it isn't that easy to notice they are on

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - RacingSnake - 24-09-2012 08:40am

Surely cranking the car once will not kill the battery! i've done this loads of times in the past having to move the cars around the drive.
In which case, my worry is, what caused it?
I used to carry a booster pack in our defender because I expected it to fail on me (which it did... Many times! Lol) but I dont expect to have to take those precautions with the evoque Sad

Haven't checked out the clever lights, but I cant imagine that was the problem....and I haven't tried it this morning to see if it'll work today.
Re: resetting the ecu's, this would be what I hope the dealer can do, reason for them is that they're only 5 mins down the road.

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - XFullFatTim - 24-09-2012 10:49am

Didn't realise you we're so close to a dealership, certainly would not be sense to call out LRE, however your dealer may tell you to call LRE if they cannot get the car running on your drive............... Have several T-shirts for that!

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - RacingSnake - 24-09-2012 11:09am

OK, it started ok just now (another short start stop for moving the cars.
The dealership are going to phone me back with a mutual time.

I did wonder though, all this talk about the cranking power starting and stoping, then surely the start-stop technology is pretty fatally flawed?! if you're stuck in London traffic, then it's going to be sucking a lot of power out that battery Neutral

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - Ryo - 24-09-2012 04:14pm

Threads like this are really putting some fear in me.
Really not for rides <20 min.? Wow. I thought a Range Rover would be kind of reliable. You know, drive everywhere under any condition.

If this is really the truth, I can't even use my car for shopping. My profile would be like every week a 20 min. drive to and 20 min. back home. 1 or 2 times a month less than 10 minutes (shopping... and yes I need a car for that). Weekends are unpredictable but normally I have a lot of short drives with turning the engine off.

If I read such horrid stories, I'm getting unsure if an Evoque is reliable enough for me. Maybe I will ask my dealer to update the software even before I touch that car, and hopefully that helps. Personally I think it's unacceptable that a car with such a price tag has this kind of problems. I really hope it's just the "Internet-Effect", and these are only isolated incidents, and not a general problem.

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - RacingSnake - 24-09-2012 04:24pm

do remember that forums are a hot-bed of negative press, I always keep that in mind when reading such threads.... just a complete pain when it happens to me! a little voice in my head says "I told you so" Laughing

Car is booked in for wednesday lunchtime and they're going to look at it while I wait.

RE: Dead battery after 10 days - XFullFatTim - 24-09-2012 04:44pm

These are isolated events I think Ryo, plenty of people here have had totally incident free motoring with their Evoques, my problem was not the car's fault it was my brother, who managed to chop the power lead to a thirdparty accessory that caused the battery drain