Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Adaptive Dynamics
alanet

RE: Adaptive Dynamics

I have AD and even though I haven't tried one without, I have the feeling that like what car magazine said in their review, the ride is probably a little bit worse with AD.
10-02-2012 09:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimv

(10-02-2012 09:31pm)alanet Wrote:  I have AD and even though I haven't tried one without, I have the feeling that like what car magazine said in their review, the ride is probably a little bit worse with AD.

Worse WITH AD? As in less good? Could you please elaborate on this? Are you disappointed?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
10-02-2012 09:33pm
gead

I have tried both, and I can honestly say, the ride is better with the AD. Bumps and road imperfections seem to be less intrusive on the AD equipped car.

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
10-02-2012 10:05pm
sethor

Worse? just depends on what you prefer, if you like a nice comfortable ride don't bother with AD if you like a nice firm sporting ride go for AD simple. If you option up AD you get the best of both worlds as you can turn it on or off when you choose.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
10-02-2012 11:05pm
ChuckieB

(10-02-2012 11:05pm)sethor Wrote:  Worse? just depends on what you prefer, if you like a nice comfortable ride don't bother with AD if you like a nice firm sporting ride go for AD simple. If you option up AD you get the best of both worlds as you can turn it on or off when you choose.

But the ride with the AD switched off is still different as I understand it?.....and probably less "compliant" than without it fitted at all?

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
10-02-2012 11:22pm
Coolbanana

(10-02-2012 11:22pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  But the ride with the AD switched off is still different as I understand it?.....and probably less "compliant" than without it fitted at all?

Adaptive Dynamics is always on...Dynamic mode isn't...

From my experience the Adaptive Dynamics gives the car a smoother ride, soaking up the bumps better than those without and is generally an improvement in all terrain response modes.

Car's equipped with Adaptive Dynamics have an extra mode however - Dynamic!

In Dynamic mode the steering and suspension adapt for a firmer, sportier drive that does, in my opinion, enhance the handling characteristics of the car. I gather there are those who have tested the car that have assumed that this is the Adaptive Dynamics - not realising it is actually already on - and fear rather than making the ride more comfortable, it actually makes it firmer and so isn't great around town.

So Adaptive Dynamics does improve the quality of the ride over non-Adaptive Dynamics equipped cars and those with it have the added option of a Dynamic mode that makes for a firmer, sportier ride.

I like to engage the Sport mode and the Dynamic mode together as this is when the car behaves and goes like a hot hatch. But of course some folk may prefer to forget about the additional Dynamic mode and just enjoy the car with the Adaptive Dynamics doing its thing which is to make the ride more comfortable.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 11:59pm by Coolbanana.)
10-02-2012 11:56pm
j7david

You can't turn AD off. You can just change it from "normal" to "dynamic" (and the other 'terrain response' settings).
10-02-2012 11:58pm
ChuckieB

(10-02-2012 11:56pm)Coolbanana Wrote:  Adaptive Dynamics is always on...Dynamic mode isn't...

From my experience the Adaptive Dynamics gives the car a smoother ride, soaking up the bumps better than those without and is generally an improvement in all terrain response modes.

Car's equipped with Adaptive Dynamics have an extra mode however - Dynamic!

In Dynamic mode the steering and suspension adapt for a firmer, sportier drive that does, in my opinion, enhance the handling characteristics of the car. I gather there are those who have tested the car that have assumed that this is the Adaptive Dynamics - not realising it is actually already on - and fear rather than making the ride more comfortable, it actually makes it firmer and so isn't great around town.

So Adaptive Dynamics does improve the quality of the ride over non-Adaptive Dynamics equipped cars and those with it have the added option of a Dynamic mode that makes for a firmer, sportier ride.

I like to engage the Sport mode and the Dynamic mode together as this is when the car behaves and goes like a hot hatch. But of course some folk may prefer to forget about the additional Dynamic mode and just enjoy the car with the Adaptive Dynamics doing its thing which is to make the ride more comfortable.
Thanks. As good an explanation as any have seen...

sport mode? I thought it was dynamic mode to cover everything.

Delivered 17/2/2012!

11-02-2012 12:02am
Coolbanana

(11-02-2012 12:02am)ChuckieB Wrote:  Thanks. As good an explanation as any have seen...

sport mode? I thought it was dynamic mode to cover everything.

Like many cars with a sporty focus, the Evoque has a Sport mode - for the Automatic it sits next to Drive and is accessed by pressing the selector down and turning it to the right. This improves throttle response while the Dynamic mode deals with suspension.

Then, instead of allowing the car to change gear, use the Paddles and you find yourself driving a very sporty SUV that gives my wifes Mini Cooper S a good challenge!

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 12:15am by Coolbanana.)
11-02-2012 12:13am
ChuckieB

(11-02-2012 12:13am)Coolbanana Wrote:  Like many cars with a sporty focus, the Evoque has a Sport mode - for the Automatic it sits next to Drive and is accessed by pressing the selector down and turning it to the right. This improves throttle response while the Dynamic mode deals with suspension.

Then, instead of allowing the car to change gear, use the Paddles and you find yourself driving a very sporty SUV that gives my wifes Mini Cooper S a good challenge!

Thanks. Flushed this one right out of my head when I opted for the manual!

Delivered 17/2/2012!

11-02-2012 12:29am