Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windscreen wiper - intermittent settings
Onebigjobby

Windscreen wiper - intermittent settings

Hi all

I have auto wipers, and when I put it on this setting the wipers seem to have a mind of their own!
The intermittent setting seems to do nothing at all, the wipers will still do their own thing!
Am I dong something wrong?
I've heard the dealer can disable the auto wipers is this true?
Will this make the intermittent wipers work as they should?
Is anyone else having their wipers do their own thing?
Your help will be much appreciated
Onebigjobby
24-04-2012 10:07pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Windscreen wiper - intermittent settings

From Topix manual

Rotate the collar to adjust the intermittent period. The intermittent delay period will vary and is controlled by either vehicle speed or a rain sensor. The control must be in position (4) [ie 'up one'] to be operational.
This is a dealer configurable option.

In this position intermittent wipe is controlled by either a rain sensor or vehicle speed. The rain sensor located at the upper edge of the windscreen becomes active and will determine when the wipers are required to operate. If the rain sensor is not enabled by your dealer, intermittent wipe will operate in conjunction with the setting
of control (1) [ie the intermittent 'timing' setting] . This function can be enabled/disabled by your Dealer/Authorised Repairer.

Without more info / seeing it, it is hard to tell you if it is functioning as it should.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
24-04-2012 10:20pm
Onebigjobby

Tnx CJ I think I'll get the dealer to disable it as I'm not happy with how it functions.
Onebigjobby
25-04-2012 10:31pm
cjfp

Let us know what they say / do and would be great if you could get some before and after vids so we can see the difference.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
25-04-2012 10:43pm
Donny Dog

(25-04-2012 10:31pm)Onebigjobby Wrote:  Tnx CJ I think I'll get the dealer to disable it as I'm not happy with how it functions.
Onebigjobby

My front wipers work perfectly in automatic mode (and operate in a similar way to other cars with rain-sensing wipers), so I would persevere with it, if necessary having the dealer look at them to check that they have been set up correctly. It's the REAR wiper I can't get on with, as the 'intermittent' setting appears to change nothing at all (it supposedly operates via the same rotating collar as the front ones, according to the handbook). Again, it says it is a dealer-configurable function, although no-one who has replied to previous threads on this topic appear to have any success with intermittent rear operation.
25-04-2012 11:04pm
hussar10a

After a miserable journey home in the dark and rain recently in my two week old 2013 Dynamic, complete with a couple of near misses due to the auto wipers not wiping when they were most needed I sat down and got the manual out again.

The instructions aren't really as clear as they should be, but I applied a bit of sideways logic and came up with this - if the auto wipers aren't dealer configured the intermittant wiper stalk position and collar setting "Min" might mean minimum delay in the waiting time between wipes.

If they are configured then the "Min" collar position possibly means minimum sensitivity to rain drops on the sensor.

Mine are configured to be automatic, so this Saturday (in a selection of different rain "types"), I set the collar to "Max" (ie: what I thought means maximum sensitivity to water on the sensor), and hey presto - perfect intermittant operation, from the occassional wipe for the lightest rain or spray right up to full on fast permanent wiping in a downpour.

It upsets my OCDness that the collar "knob" is in the wrong place (round the back rather than in the upright position), but I can live with it !

Oddly enough my Discovery 3's auto wipers just "worked" without any messing !
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 12:48pm by hussar10a.)
11-11-2013 12:46pm
KaDargo

(11-11-2013 12:46pm)hussar10a Wrote:  After a miserable journey home in the dark and rain recently in my two week old 2013 Dynamic, complete with a couple of near misses due to the auto wipers not wiping when they were most needed I sat down and got the manual out again.

The instructions aren't really as clear as they should be, but I applied a bit of sideways logic and came up with this - if the auto wipers aren't dealer configured the intermittant wiper stalk position and collar setting "Min" might mean minimum delay in the waiting time between wipes.

If they are configured then the "Min" collar position possibly means minimum sensitivity to rain drops on the sensor.

Mine are configured to be automatic, so this Saturday (in a selection of different rain "types"), I set the collar to "Max" (ie: what I thought means maximum sensitivity to water on the sensor), and hey presto - perfect intermittant operation, from the occassional wipe for the lightest rain or spray right up to full on fast permanent wiping in a downpour.

It upsets my OCDness that the collar "knob" is in the wrong place (round the back rather than in the upright position), but I can live with it !

Oddly enough my Discovery 3's auto wipers just "worked" without any messing !

Mine are rubbish (been checked by dealer as well, and none of the settings correspond to the actual wiping) - I either have them on full, or use the manual downward 'flick' wipe if intermittent needed.

They are, in fact, lethal !!

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
11-11-2013 01:33pm
PhilSkill

(25-04-2012 11:04pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  My front wipers work perfectly in automatic mode (and operate in a similar way to other cars with rain-sensing wipers), so I would persevere with it, if necessary having the dealer look at them to check that they have been set up correctly. It's the REAR wiper I can't get on with, as the 'intermittent' setting appears to change nothing at all (it supposedly operates via the same rotating collar as the front ones, according to the handbook). Again, it says it is a dealer-configurable function, although no-one who has replied to previous threads on this topic appear to have any success with intermittent rear operation.

Yep my Rear wiper annoys me, it is always intermittent (meaning there is a delay between half wipes) but the delay is too short and just ends up being annoying with nothing to wipe, nothing effects the delay expect when you are stationery where it seems a bit slower. This really needs adjustable delay.

Front wipers work fine, just occasionally you shout "wipe" at it!... I use the collar as sensitivity, but generally use MAX unless it's only a little bit of spray where I turn it down from Max.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-11-2013 02:54pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Phil, don't you have a second speed setting of the rear wiper? Mine has intermittent for the first setting and then continuous (and I have the speed related variable enabled as well) - I rarely use the continuous but did today and it's the first time I have seen the speed of it vary!

For the fronts, yes as hussar has found in the manual, the intermittent varies the sensitivity of the sensor not the gap of the wipe............... mine has always done so BUT one thing that really annoys me is that even though I leave it on the 2nd notch it seems to detect a speck of dirt on the sensor and the wipers go frantic over a dry screen and there has been nothing i could do to cure that. My car has both the dealer configurable settings enabled for the wipers and apart from the occasions mentioned they are brilliant.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-11-2013 05:19pm
PhilSkill

Hmmm not sure Tim, Never got passed intermittent, as that's always too often!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-11-2013 11:16pm