Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate
mstraka

Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate

I have a problem with my 2013 Evoque Coupe, U.S. spec, It traps water under a plastic strip running along the entire top side in the hatch door edge under the tailgate. Car washes and rain storms cause the water to collect, sometimes there is more than half a cup of brown water. The water remains under this strip until putting pressure on it releases the water. It appears to me that the strip may be there to deflect water but instead it collects it. My concern is rust and the possibility that the collected water may be slowly running elsewhere under this strip. Has anyone experienced this and is there a Topix bulletin on this problem?
06-06-2014 02:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Worrying-Water-Trap

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
06-06-2014 02:40pm
mstraka

(06-06-2014 02:40pm)cjfp Wrote:  http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Worrying-Water-Trap
No information here as the problem is mentioned by a number of owners but then the thread gets directed to solving a tailgate rattle. The solution to the water is never mentioned and no information as to a dealer fix.
07-06-2014 05:17pm
speary

I don't think there is a fix you just have to lift the plastic section as described in my previous post every time you wash the car. A temporary fix could be to wedge a piece of plastic under the trim to make a gap for the water to drain out. Not ideal but if you are worried about rust it might be the answer

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
10-06-2014 08:23am
PhilSkill

(07-06-2014 05:17pm)mstraka Wrote:  No information here as the problem is mentioned by a number of owners but then the thread gets directed to solving a tailgate rattle. The solution to the water is never mentioned and no information as to a dealer fix.

No Solution as such, it's just the way it is designed, the brown stains never returned so I think the worry of rust for me has dissipated a bit...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-06-2014 11:35am
Stevemac1

Water also collects behind the 2 bits of trim at either edge by the hatch hinges. Same solution, lift them up to release the water. Or perhaps cut a nick at the lowest point of the rubber edging strip maybe??

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
11-06-2014 06:14am
speary

I think that's what he was referring to. That was my understanding

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
11-06-2014 07:23am
mstraka

An update. The dealership replaced the plastic strip and the water still collects. So it appears there is no fix for the problem other than periodically lifting the strip ends and allowing the water to drain out, sometimess nearly a cup of water. I wonder how many owners never drain the water and what the long term effects will be.
22-07-2014 02:18pm
J. Dub

What a shame

In memory of Robert E. Flynn
11-08-2016 05:36pm