Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worrying Water Trap
speary

Worrying Water Trap

I know its a bit hard to see in this photo but the black plastic trim behind the strut and by the hinge/cable route, is holding back a lot of water when its rained or I wash my car. If I prise the trim up slightly with my thumb water gushes out. Not sure what is behind there and whether it matters or not its just a bit worrying

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/speary...5.jpg.html

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 05:12pm by speary.)
04-10-2013 05:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Worrying Water Trap

I have an annoying brown stain that drips from that rubber section on that side, I am going to get them to look at it at the next service, as if I clean it up it comes back, not sure if it starting is related to when I had my Tailgate re-aligned.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-10-2013 08:10pm
doug

(04-10-2013 08:10pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I have an annoying brown stain that drips from that rubber section on that side, I am going to get them to look at it at the next service, as if I clean it up it comes back, not sure if it starting is related to when I had my Tailgate re-aligned.

Hope it's not iron oxide

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
04-10-2013 09:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I get grey staining on the door skins below both mirrors after it has been raining...... probably something that all owners of Fuji cars see but it doesn't show on the darker colours

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-10-2013 10:42pm
PhilSkill

Yes I get them too Tim, and a bit from the door handles.

The brown is odd, at first I thought it was some oily residue overspill after the service/alignment, but the way its come back makes me more concerned.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
04-10-2013 11:38pm
speary

(04-10-2013 08:10pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I have an annoying brown stain that drips from that rubber section on that side, I am going to get them to look at it at the next service, as if I clean it up it comes back, not sure if it starting is related to when I had my Tailgate re-aligned.

Maybe you driving it a bit too quick. It might just be fear

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
07-10-2013 08:38am
PhilSkill

(07-10-2013 08:38am)speary Wrote:  Maybe you driving it a bit too quick. It might just be fear

Maybe it is speary Laughing , although it's just a little weep.

Having washed mine yesterday and driven 20 miles this morning, i had the boot open, and checked this rubber seal. As soon as I pushed it water came gushing out, black muddy water that has obviously been trapped under the rubber with dirt off of the roof.

Looking at the seals at the top, the bit of rubber that backs onto the covers for the roof bars is not touching the cover on that side allowing water/dirt to flow off the roof into this crevice behind the rubber, the other side is tight, although there is still water ingress to a much lesser extent. the seal can be seen to have dirt and brown staining all along the bottom edge that does look like it could be rust staining eventually forming a drip stain down the gully.

If water was intended to get in, you think there would be a way for it to flow out, so I can't see that this is right, but more worryingly is what might be rusting under there to cause such staining, unless it's a decaying leaf or something causing the staining?

Next month is the 2nd service, so the list gets a bit longer...

07-10-2013 02:17pm
doug

Have you tried your iron x ?
Using some kitchen roll, soak up some of this brown water. Ring out the towel & spray some iron x over it.
Lets hope it doesn't turn dark purple.

Another way to test for iron oxide is to ring out the soaked kitchen towel in to a empty glass. Place a small magnet in the water & watch what happens.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 04:05pm by doug.)
07-10-2013 04:00pm
PhilSkill

Good idea Doug, i'll give that a try.

07-10-2013 07:50pm
PhilSkill

Took a swab of the offending brown lines, and did an Iron-X test, unsurprisingly they immediately went purple, showing iron content.

I had the tailgate re-aligned last year, think this may be related...

You can see where I took the swabs.

Will be on my service List of items...

15-10-2013 09:04am