babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate (/Thread-Water-Collects-Under-Top-of-Tailgate)

Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - mstraka - 06-06-2014 02:13pm

I have a problem with my 2013 Evoque Coupe, U.S. spec, It traps water under a plastic strip running along the entire top side in the hatch door edge under the tailgate. Car washes and rain storms cause the water to collect, sometimes there is more than half a cup of brown water. The water remains under this strip until putting pressure on it releases the water. It appears to me that the strip may be there to deflect water but instead it collects it. My concern is rust and the possibility that the collected water may be slowly running elsewhere under this strip. Has anyone experienced this and is there a Topix bulletin on this problem?

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - cjfp - 06-06-2014 02:40pm

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Worrying-Water-Trap

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - mstraka - 07-06-2014 05:17pm

(06-06-2014 02:40pm)cjfp Wrote:  http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Worrying-Water-Trap
No information here as the problem is mentioned by a number of owners but then the thread gets directed to solving a tailgate rattle. The solution to the water is never mentioned and no information as to a dealer fix.

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - speary - 10-06-2014 08:23am

I don't think there is a fix you just have to lift the plastic section as described in my previous post every time you wash the car. A temporary fix could be to wedge a piece of plastic under the trim to make a gap for the water to drain out. Not ideal but if you are worried about rust it might be the answer

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - PhilSkill - 10-06-2014 11:35am

(07-06-2014 05:17pm)mstraka Wrote:  No information here as the problem is mentioned by a number of owners but then the thread gets directed to solving a tailgate rattle. The solution to the water is never mentioned and no information as to a dealer fix.

No Solution as such, it's just the way it is designed, the brown stains never returned so I think the worry of rust for me has dissipated a bit...

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - Stevemac1 - 11-06-2014 06:14am

Water also collects behind the 2 bits of trim at either edge by the hatch hinges. Same solution, lift them up to release the water. Or perhaps cut a nick at the lowest point of the rubber edging strip maybe??

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - speary - 11-06-2014 07:23am

I think that's what he was referring to. That was my understanding

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - mstraka - 22-07-2014 02:18pm

An update. The dealership replaced the plastic strip and the water still collects. So it appears there is no fix for the problem other than periodically lifting the strip ends and allowing the water to drain out, sometimess nearly a cup of water. I wonder how many owners never drain the water and what the long term effects will be.

RE: Water Collects Under Top of Tailgate - J. Dub - 11-08-2016 05:36pm

What a shame