Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
V-Power Diesel
MY13 Prestige

V-Power Diesel

Someone once told me that's the best petrol and diesel. I got into the habit of only filling up any car I have wit it, inc my noisy SD4 Evoque - but I'm curious to know: is it true it's the best, and why? In layman's terms please Smile Smile

Using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 08:26pm by MY13 Prestige.)
04-05-2014 08:24pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: V-Power Diesel

One of the motoring mags did a scientific comparison and came to the conclusion that there is no advantage to using it except to lighten your wallet, you car will run just as well on discount brands of diesel/petrol

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 09:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-05-2014 09:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MY13 Prestige

V-Power Diesel

Why am I not surprised!! Thanks Tim!

Using Tapatalk
04-05-2014 10:05pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hotwheelsvespa

If your in an area where not much super gets sold and it sits in the tanks the octane level in the fuel can actually decrease!!!! Something to do with benzine or ethanol etc...... So your actually worse off with super in some cases!!!!
05-05-2014 07:29am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

So your money evaporates with the additives they put in to increase the octane rating!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-05-2014 09:57am
BFGEvoqueMan

(04-05-2014 09:40pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  One of the motoring mags did a scientific comparison and came to the conclusion that there is no advantage to using it except to lighten your wallet, you car will run just as well on discount brands of diesel/petrol

Well the whole point of modern electronically controlled injection systems is to compensate for such things as lack of octance. Up until about 3 years ago they used to sell 91 octance petrol as well as super (95) or super plus (9Cool. In our petrol Merc it made no difference which fuel you put in when it came to performance or economy. In the LR, diesel or super diesel makes diddly squat difference; but I have noted that filling with full fat winter diesel (-25C protection) that they sell in Bavaria does seem to boost economy by 5% (probably due to a Kero/additive mix???). I had a petrol company car till recently (TSI VW engine) and occasionally I had to fill with super plus petrol instead of normal super and again it made zero difference to performance or economy.

I suspect good maintainance (change of fuel and air filters etc) will have just as good an effect on long term engine longevity and economy as any fancy fuel?

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
05-05-2014 10:01am
trevd01

Cetane number for diesel, not octane rating, BTW. The higher the cetane number the more easily the diesel will combust.
05-05-2014 08:17pm
speary

I only use she'll power nitro + diesel. When I did the cacls over 2 months of driving the Vpower worked out at 0.17 pence per mile cheaper than standard shell diesel
Not a lot but I get the benefit of more mpg, cleaner engine and slightly better step off when accelerating from standstill

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
09-05-2014 08:59am
KaDargo

(09-05-2014 08:59am)speary Wrote:  I only use she'll power nitro + diesel. When I did the cacls over 2 months of driving the Vpower worked out at 0.17 pence per mile cheaper than standard shell diesel
Not a lot but I get the benefit of more mpg, cleaner engine and slightly better step off when accelerating from standstill

I did a 3 month test - no performance gain, no difference in economy, lighter wallet!! Laughing

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
09-05-2014 11:12am