Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time to say goodbye :-(
mark_n

RE: Time to say goodbye :-(

That's a pretty damning indictment Tim, to say that Evoque build quality has taken a big step backwards from your previous, almost first off the line, car.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
17-07-2014 03:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, my last car had a rattle that was fixed very promptly, I don't expect a car that costs what an Evoque costs and to have been in build now for 3years to be allowed out of the factory with any rattles. Range Rover is supposed to be a brand of fantastic quality and sold for very ambitious prices, Land Rover needs to get its act together with Evoque assembly, it isn't up to scratch. If they have to take every car off the line and drive it on a section of Belgian Pavoir cobble road to find the rattles then so be it, but they have to stop putting out new cars that have rattles in them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-07-2014 05:07pm
Tony

(17-07-2014 05:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mark, my last car had a rattle that was fixed very promptly, I don't expect a car that costs what an Evoque costs and to have been in build now for 3years to be allowed out of the factory with any rattles. Range Rover is supposed to be a brand of fantastic quality and sold for very ambitious prices, Land Rover needs to get its act together with Evoque assembly, it isn't up to scratch. If they have to take every car off the line and drive it on a section of Belgian Pavoir cobble road to find the rattles then so be it, but they have to stop putting out new cars that have rattles in them.

+1

Just had the call from the dealer, back of car very carefully re-assembled, extensive test drive by the service manager, squeak gone, we collect tomorrow. Unfortunately there was no conclusion as to what the cause was which worries me. We will be having a discussion with the sales manager on what we do if it re-occurs - replacement vehicle or money back, only had this car for three weeks (tomorrow) and already we are 500 miles worth of diesel fuel out of pocket - there will be a call to LRCS on Monday.

Our last Evoque had a total mileage of 16500 out of that 1750 were taking it back with faults, numerous rattles and a forever flattening batteries. Should have followed my head and bought Audi.

I have to add that so far the dealer has been first class in trying to sort the problems.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
17-07-2014 06:37pm
The Valeter

(17-07-2014 05:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mark, my last car had a rattle that was fixed very promptly, I don't expect a car that costs what an Evoque costs and to have been in build now for 3years to be allowed out of the factory with any rattles. Range Rover is supposed to be a brand of fantastic quality and sold for very ambitious prices, Land Rover needs to get its act together with Evoque assembly, it isn't up to scratch. If they have to take every car off the line and drive it on a section of Belgian Pavoir cobble road to find the rattles then so be it, but they have to stop putting out new cars that have rattles in them.

This reminds me when I worked for an Austin-Rover dealership when the Austin Maestro had just been launched. They had several rattles. Oddly I often thought of a Maestro when I washed the roof of both my Evoque's as if you tap the roof between the windscreen & the beginning of the Panoramic roof the tinny sound always reminded me of the tapping of a Maestro roof. Perhaps the Evoque is a reincarnated Maestro lol.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
17-07-2014 11:57pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

Nowt wrong with the two MG Maestros I owned, they never had rattles in them! One of them shed an engine core plug in the 2nd or 3rd week of ownership but that was the only issue I had with many many ARG cars. That's why I kept buying them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-07-2014 02:48am
The Valeter

(18-07-2014 02:48am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Nowt wrong with the two MG Maestros I owned, they never had rattles in them! One of them shed an engine core plug in the 2nd or 3rd week of ownership but that was the only issue I had with many many ARG cars. That's why I kept buying them.

Your'e a Man of my own heart Tim, I too always bought new Austin's MG's & Rover's - I would never buy anything else. I only faultered slightly in 2001 when I got a Freelander 1 but that was part of the group anyway originally & designed by Gerry McGovern. I even bought new MGR stuff after the collapse in 2005 then only new cars since were the FL2 in 2009 & the 2 Evoque's. OK I recently strayed recently & got the Fiesta ST2 for some raw fun but that is a shortish stint as I may try an MG3 in the spring (if they add a Turbo to it).
I had 3 MG Maestro's & liked them a lot as I do with my current MG Montego - must love that as I've spent a small fortune on getting it looking to top show standard!

The most reliable car I EVER had & also the cheapest new car since 1987 that I bought was my Rover 25GSi - this cost me (without the dealer fitted side skirts) £8199 & that was cheaper than my brand new Rover 214i Base model I bought in 1995. The Rover 25 was bought new in March 2006 & I sold it to a friend/enthusiast just before Christmas & I only ever paid out for annual servicing & MOT on that car. Only other monies spent on it was for cosmetic bits I wanted done!! It never had to go in a dealer for any problems. None of my Landrover's can say that.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
18-07-2014 11:27am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

Andy, until my last Evoque's battery flattening problems I had NEVER owned an unreliable Land Rover product, none ever had to go back to dealers for anything other than routine servicing. My last Evoque had a tow truck journey to the local dealership for persistently flattening it's battery and this one is heading to have unscheduled visits to fix the rattles. Not really 21st Century progress. I have owned Land Rover products since 1996 and nothing else, I have owned models that had horrendous reliability reputations but they never let me down. Out of a Discovery 1 V8, Discovery2 TD5, Freelander 1 TD4, TD6 L322 RR, 2005 TDv6 RRS, an RRS TDv8, an L322 RR TDv8 and my 18 year old used Land Rover Defender the last Evoque and the current Evoque , the two Evoques have had more quality issues than all the others put together! Even the Defender has less rattles. Apart from the TDv8 FFRR (£72k) the two Evoques have also been by far the most expensive cars to buy new as well at £48k and £53k. Apart from the Defender and the TDv8 FFRR all the rest were new cars and none suffered anything like the quality issues the Evoques have had. In fact in nearly 40 years of car owning I cannot remember any previous cars that have had so many return trips to the dealers for small niggling things than the Evoques. It's not really progress is it? The best assembled? All except the Evoques have been nigh on perfect, I don't recall ever having rattles in any of the others, the Disco2 had a problem with the transfer box slipping into neutral but that was quickly rectified at a routine service and the TD6 RR blew a headlamp lamp about a year into ownership. If I could have any of the cars back again then it would be the TDv8 RRS or the TDv8 RR, definitely the best made, nicest to drive cars I have ever owned, one was a 2007 car( the RRS) and the other a 2010 car. The TDv8 RRS is probably the best driving, best handling, best built Land Rover I have ever owned, the 2010 3.6TDv8 FFRR was a fantastic car but didn't have the trick handling pack nor the Brembo brakes of the 2007 TDv8 RRS that made it an exceptional car to own and drive and probably the best all round car I have ever owned. It was also absolutely brilliant offroad! The most fun and cheapest to own and run, the Defender by miles. It's crude, you cannot go very fast and it doesn't like to stop too quickly, but the fun factor and feeling of achievement when you spend a day offroad in it is unbeatable, well maybe taking the FFRR's over one of my favourite offroad runs for the Defender might have given me the biggest smile when I got them out unscathed, unstuck and covered in heather and mud, on road tyres before a crowd of die hard Defender owners who reckoned they wouldn't make it caused better entertainment for the driver, but it also wasn't good for the blood pressure thinking of the cost to repair them should it all go pear shaped! One thing in the Defender though is the feeling of achievement when on a very long straight road you can actually get it fast enough to overtake somebody in a Nissan Micra out for a Sunday afternoon drive! Puts a huge grim on your face!

(This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 06:47pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-07-2014 05:54pm
mark_n

Bringing this thread back on topic, it would be interesting to know if the original poster has indeed been able to sell his to a Land Rover dealer.

Doesn't sound like Tim will be rushing to buy another Evoque.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-07-2014 06:23am
J77

With the Fl2 I thought LR had finally started to get on top of the build quality issues, I've had 3 and none of them rattled. Along comes Evoque and bang, back to square one. They need to stop using these cheap Eco recycled plastics.

I've had one unreliable LR, my D3, needed a new engine at 2yrs old. 3 Fl2s perfect, 1 Evoque minor build quality issues. Current D4 has more rattles than Mothercare. My new Disco Sport, who knows how it will fare but it uses a few parts from the Evoque.

On Topic
I've always got a good price from my dealer, perhaps it could be because I've used them for years, for sales and servicing.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
19-07-2014 10:37am
Tony

(19-07-2014 10:37am)J77 Wrote:  With the Fl2 I thought LR had finally started to get on top of the build quality issues, I've had 3 and none of them rattled. Along comes Evoque and bang, back to square one. They need to stop using these cheap Eco recycled plastics.

I've had one unreliable LR, my D3, needed a new engine at 2yrs old. 3 Fl2s perfect, 1 Evoque minor build quality issues. Current D4 has more rattles than Mothercare. My new Disco Sport, who knows how it will fare but it uses a few parts from the Evoque.

On Topic
I've always got a good price from my dealer, perhaps it could be because I've used them for years, for sales and servicing.

On Topic, likewise, I have always had a good deal px'ing my LRs but my cars are alway low mileage, unmarked and very very clean, dog, child and smoker free.

We have just had a short drive in a BMW X4 3 litre M Sport, nice, very nice - just waiting for the sales manager to tell me how much to change from my 4 week old Evoque, I know if I swapped at LR for a bigger model out of the show room I would get my money back but I cannot afford the RRS in the showroom its £79k. Incidentally the X4 3 Litre specced similar to our Evoque is about the same price - TAKE NOTE LAND ROVER.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
19-07-2014 10:49am