Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Issue with new 9 speed transmission?
hjt113

Issue with new 9 speed transmission?

i received my 2014 Evoque Si4 Automatic in January (it was built in November 2013, i am guessing one of the first models built with the new transmission). So far I am very happy with it, and the transmission is definitely smoother than the old 6 speed. I do have one complaint however: the new transmission is not very smooth when upshifting from second to third, but only at certain rpms: if i press the gas gently - when the upshift happens below 2,000 rpm, then the shift change is smooth. If I floor it, then the shift change is also smooth. Only when the shift happens between 2,000 to 3,000 rpm, the shift is definitely noticeable (the car "shakes"). I was curious if any of you with a 2014 model have experienced the same thing?
I brought the car back to my dealer, drove it with the service manager, and he did notice how the car is shaking. however he told me this was normal, and I have a hard time believing that, as I have never experienced such a 'rough' gear change with any other automatic transmissions I drove in the past. i was curious to know if anyone had the same issue?
04-07-2014 12:10am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Issue with new 9 speed transmission?

Not noticed this with my SD4 9 speeder, but then diesels have strong fly wheel effect that can make shifts much smoother in autos

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-07-2014 06:49am
DfunkyT

I think a rule of thumb is if it doesn't feel normal, it probably isn't.

In my Si4 I tend to pull away quite quickly and I believe it starts from second in Eco mode and the shift to 3rd is noticeable as the turbo kicks in, but definitely no shuddering.
04-07-2014 10:14am
hjt113

(04-07-2014 10:14am)DfunkyT Wrote:  I think a rule of thumb is if it doesn't feel normal, it probably isn't.

In my Si4 I tend to pull away quite quickly and I believe it starts from second in Eco mode and the shift to 3rd is noticeable as the turbo kicks in, but definitely no shuddering.

Thanks. Yes, I am talking about the first upshift when starting the car from a stop since the car starts in second. It is not related to the turbo kicking in, so looks like it is not a normal thing...
Anyone else has the same issue?
06-07-2014 02:12pm
HeartbreakRidge

The only thing close to this I have noticed is that when I'm at a stop with Stop/Start active, if I lift off the brake and immediately try to give it gas the shift is clunky but if I'm a little gentler it is perfectly smooth.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-07-2014 03:56am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

HBR, I get this too if I'm a bit hasty with the throttle before the stop/start has decided which gear to pull away in, I think it defaults the pull away to 1st gear which in the 9 speeder is a crawler / towing / assist off road gear, normally it runs out of go and changes up around 10-15 mph

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-07-2014 05:43am
HeartbreakRidge

(10-07-2014 05:43am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  HBR, I get this too if I'm a bit hasty with the throttle before the stop/start has decided which gear to pull away in, I think it defaults the pull away to 1st gear which in the 9 speeder is a crawler / towing / assist off road gear, normally it runs out of go and changes up around 10-15 mph

Yep. At some point I should play around with S (and/or the paddles) and see how that changes the experience from the default D behavior.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-07-2014 08:16pm
DfunkyT

With not much to do on this morning's commute, came across this tip (not specific to the evoque) that "any judder from the drivetrain under acceleration can point to an unbalanced propshaft." Might be worth checking out. Hope a cure comes soon. Happy weekend all!
11-07-2014 12:31am
hjt113

Thanks for all your reply. After i read some of your comments, i did give it a try in 'manual' instead of full automatic and i can clearly feel how the car is shaking: when i have the car in second, at around 3000 rpms (steady speed, no acceleration) and i manually upshift once to third gear, i get a very noticeable shake. as a comparison, doing the same thing at around 5000 rpms (second gear, stable speed, no acceleration, then manual upshift) and the gear change is perfectly normal and smooth.
can i ask any of you that have the 2014 si4 to try the same test and see if they get the same results? from all i'm reading, if feels[/size] that my service advisor is feeding me bs when he tells me this is normal, and i just want to hear from you before i go back in and yell at him Smile
thanks!
20-07-2014 10:36pm