Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Second Service
speary

Second Service

Just had my second service at Williams Manchester. £413 which included £5 for washer fluid that I didn't need as I filled the bottle the night before.
Interestingly my dash cam seems to have been on for most of the service. The ciggy lighter socket must be live when the car is unlocked.
Looks like they did a good job but comments I heard were them complaining about being given lots of jobs fixing rattles. I had reported 3 rattles to be investigated, one of which is the A pillar rattle/creak, apparently where the small air vent attaches to the internal section the plastic is a bit loose. They inserted some additional foam packing and so far the noise has disappeared. Fingers crossed. They also fixed a rear roof rattle (again). Not sure if the door vibration when playing bassy loud music is fixed
They replaced part of a wiring loom to try and fix my steering wheel audio controls. So far they are working
Re the £5 charge for washer fluid. The techie poured in about half a pint of what looked like water from a watering can Very Happy.
Saw most of the parts replaced but they must have locked the car when the oil was changed as there is a gap in the video.
I won't be having my car washed there again. I really look after my paintwork and the car wash guy used a large car wash brush and unceremoniously slapped it all over the car. You could see the old dirt in the brush. Very Happy:Evil

I was apprehensive about watching the test drive but it was fine. No speeding, over revving or nipping to the pie shop for lunch

I still think LR servicing is over priced. £196 for labour

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-03-2014 10:12am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evogray

RE: Second Service

Haha, very interesting! Might have to do that next time too.

MY2015 Orkney Grey Pure / Xenon / Panoramic / Ebony / Ordered: 10/3/2014 / Due: 15/8/2014 30/09/2014
27-03-2014 08:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There is nothing to stop you telling the service reception that you don't want washer fluid topped up, you can even supply your own oil provided it meets LR's required spec and there's no reason why you cannot tell them not to wash the car. I would love to see the look on the service manager's face if you took the downloaded cam data in and played it to them!

If you think modern cars are expensive to maintain................. it cost me £1600 to replace the entire tailgate on my Evoque last year - today I was getting quotes to replace the tired tailgate of my Defender - the door itself, primed but unpainted and with no trim is £300.................. not bad, BUT the wiper motor,arm and mounting bracket is another £350, then the spare wheel carrier (it's that that has caused the door to self destruct in 18 years) £250, then there is the interior trim to hide the door''s internals, replacement door lock and because the car is old I have to have a new window with a high level brakelight that I don't have at the moment so factor in wiring that in otherwise I have a strange looking black rectangle on the window. Then there is labour to assemble, painting, fitting new hinges and fitting to the car and I'm looking at £2000+ VAT, just for a tail gate door! the biggest rip off of the lot though is £25+VAT each for the 4 aluminium bars that hold the glass to the door - each is about 18" long

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 09:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-03-2014 09:37pm
Tony

(27-03-2014 10:12am)speary Wrote:  Just had my second service at Williams Manchester. £413 which included £5 for washer fluid that I didn't need as I filled the bottle the night before.
Interestingly my dash cam seems to have been on for most of the service. The ciggy lighter socket must be live when the car is unlocked.
Looks like they did a good job but comments I heard were them complaining about being given lots of jobs fixing rattles. I had reported 3 rattles to be investigated, one of which is the A pillar rattle/creak, apparently where the small air vent attaches to the internal section the plastic is a bit loose. They inserted some additional foam packing and so far the noise has disappeared. Fingers crossed. They also fixed a rear roof rattle (again). Not sure if the door vibration when playing bassy loud music is fixed
They replaced part of a wiring loom to try and fix my steering wheel audio controls. So far they are working
Re the £5 charge for washer fluid. The techie poured in about half a pint of what looked like water from a watering can Very Happy.
Saw most of the parts replaced but they must have locked the car when the oil was changed as there is a gap in the video.
I won't be having my car washed there again. I really look after my paintwork and the car wash guy used a large car wash brush and unceremoniously slapped it all over the car. You could see the old dirt in the brush. Very Happy:Evil

I was apprehensive about watching the test drive but it was fine. No speeding, over revving or nipping to the pie shop for lunch

I still think LR servicing is over priced. £196 for labour

Name and shame, post the video on Youtube etc. Only then will LR and the dealears learn not to treat customers like cash cows.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
27-03-2014 11:23pm
mark_n

I do think it's important to wash your car well before you take it in. If it looks like s**t, then will treat it so. It also means that their wash will be shorter and less severe.

I agree about the oil. I save a lot by taking my own. Providing it is the right spec and in sealed containers, they should not have a problem.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-03-2014 04:49pm
ChuckieB

Second service done Friday. Was clear that I wanted no unnecessary extras. They marked it clearly on th job sheet. We even had a joke about it.

In my experince so far these guys have some wiggle room on their parts prices so it's certainly worth the ask even if they might have a fixed price for the service.

All in all, reasonably happy. And they have done a reasonable job on the clean as evidenced by the smarter bumpers and door cladding, areas I hardly ever spend much time on.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
30-03-2014 12:53am
KaDargo

Dealer 10 miles north of me, £515

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
09-04-2014 10:52pm
m_101

Well. I just rang around "local" dealers, and a couple further afield. Suffice to say that Pentland Edinburgh where I bought the car was the cheapest in Scotland at £367 including courtesy car, Taggarts Maryhill was £105 more expensive and that didn't include the courtesy car!
Might phone up and ask if I can supply my own oil as I want to go fully synthetic I think... Also going to say about not topping up with washer fluid and will say about switching the air filter for the same one as in a Prestige, and not washing the outside of the car (although a hoover would be very welcome!)

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
14-04-2014 06:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Did you try Morrisons Land Rover at Bannockburn too?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 07:05pm by XFullFatTim.)
14-04-2014 07:04pm
m_101

Actually forgot that one! will give them a call tomorrow.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
14-04-2014 07:23pm